General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

why do adrian flux want to no ur criminal record

Search this Thread

Old 22-01-2006, 07:54 PM
mikee_rs
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why do adrian flux want to no ur criminal record

i phoned adrian flux for an insurance quote and they asked my if i hasd a criminal record and what was on it.

what is this for??

ive never been asked before when getting quotes??
Old 22-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

If you dont have one then theres no problem.
I think its a good Idea to be checking on this.

Mark
Old 22-01-2006, 07:57 PM
steviecossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

adrian flux have never been able
to give me insurance for 1 of the cars iv'e had

fne around mate

or try elephant.co.uk
Old 22-01-2006, 07:58 PM
SassyRS
Little Miss...

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im with adrian flux on the Saff, and elephant with the gtiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!
Old 22-01-2006, 08:00 PM
mikee_rs

im sure theres a few people on here which may have done something stupid when they were younger so why shud u be penalised now on something like car insurance

claims and convictions only matter on ur driving license for 5 years but a criminal record is for life.
Old 22-01-2006, 08:00 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Trying to make insurance prices as attractive as possible I suppose (or the other way round).

I guess that as the market get more and more cut-throat, more and more things come into the calculations, won't be long before they ask if you smoke, listen to classical music or heavy metal, etc...
Old 22-01-2006, 08:01 PM
mikee_rs

i have been phoning round but i was just surprised why they asked me about a crim record
Old 22-01-2006, 08:02 PM
James Raby
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think it's cos people with criminal records tend to use their car to aid in the participation of it??

i.e, tend to drive like a mo fo when the five O are after them
Old 22-01-2006, 08:02 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

probably to hold against you for future reference so they can use any details to get out of paying you in the event of a claim. you know how insurance companies like to shaft you given half a chance
Old 22-01-2006, 08:03 PM
twitchyrear
Advanced PassionFord User

whatever next
Old 22-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by mikee_rs
im sure theres a few people on here which may have done something stupid when they were younger so why shud u be penalised now on something like car insurance

claims and convictions only matter on ur driving license for 5 years but a criminal record is for life.
So if you stole say 100k's worth of cars and when you saw the error of your ways did you pay back the 100k to the insurance companies,
Lets say no then you should pay more as the insurance and us are paying for it now.

Mark
Old 22-01-2006, 08:10 PM
mikee_rs

what if ur record had nothing to do with stealing, cars, fraud??
shud u pay more insurane then?
Old 22-01-2006, 08:12 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

is there a legal requirement to disclose that information? i thought you had the same 5 year rule for convictions anyway, not being taken into account,but im not sure.id just tell them there was nothing relevent to them
Old 22-01-2006, 08:14 PM
mikee_rs

i mean i i dont wanbt to pay more for something that happened over 5 years ago and has nothing to do with it
Old 22-01-2006, 08:17 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by fuzzy
probably to hold against you for future reference so they can use any details to get out of paying you in the event of a claim. you know how insurance companies like to shaft you given half a chance
To be fair, insurance companies get shafted 100's of times a day, which is why we pay so much. Surprised they dont ask for much more information TBH
Old 22-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Default Re: why do adrian flux want to no ur criminal record

Originally Posted by mikee_rs
i phoned adrian flux for an insurance quote and they asked my if i hasd a criminal record and what was on it.

what is this for??

ive never been asked before when getting quotes??
Well you should have done, if they don't as of January 14th 2005 there breaking the law if they dont ask it, TRUST ME I know!

Its an insurance companies discretion whether they take you on or not and alot of people forget that, they seem to think there obligated to give you a shit hot, cheap as, full cover quote when in actual fact, if they dont like who you are (because of criminal records etc) they can refuse you there and then

Also just to clarify, if you have a major conviction (Drink/Drug related etc) then the insurance company can ask for a history of up to 11 years! NOT just 5!

Btw, not saying that's you above but people do think that!

PS. Sprry but the rest of this thread is bollox, ignore it! HTH
Old 22-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by EIL132
Originally Posted by fuzzy
To be fair, insurance companies get shafted 100's of times a day, which is why we pay so much. Surprised they dont ask for much more information TBH
Thats another good point there James, if people knew what insurance companies were paying out, let alone for their own Re-Insurance then you'd think twice at gobbing off at someone on the phone cos the premium is too high!

The other thing is people moaning about their premium going up when they haven't claimed, just stop and think where the money has to come from when you get idiots on here and around the country encouraging people to claim for things like fucking whiplash which they have not got!
Old 22-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

I thought all minor offences became "spent" under the rehabiliatation of offenders act after a certain number of years???

Are they entitled to know about "spent" convictions??!!?
Old 22-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by James Raby
I think it's cos people with criminal records tend to use their car to aid in the participation of it??

i.e, tend to drive like a mo fo when the five O are after them
wtf...

will you have to pay more if you have a criminal record??? whats happens if you have two??

I dont btw just interested
Old 22-01-2006, 11:03 PM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

why do adrian flux want to no ur criminal record
they dont

they never asked me on either of the 2 policies i currently have with them

and they never asked me in the past when i had a saph with them 6 years ago
Old 23-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

think that people who break the law tend to be more of a risk,,,,,,,, lets be honest its true

i wanna know do cautions count or just covicted offences (meaning in court)

reason i ask is cause ive got a few cautions for minor stuff and that wold give a bad impression to insurance but theres fuck all relation to my risk in a car

i got asked about criminal record and i said "no" as i know i dont have,,,,,,, cause you have to go court and be convicted for it

either way it IS just a way to get more cash out of you,,,,,,,, no insurance company looses cash,,,,,,,,,, if they did they would refuse to give a quote on that car or quote a amount soo stupid that if youtook it out and stil ahd a crash they stil dont loose cash
Old 23-01-2006, 11:45 AM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

If you can't do the time (or pay the fine ) then don't do the crime

Maybe they just think you have more of a wreckless/idiot gene if you've been involved in criminal activity

I grew up on one of the roughest estates going and most people I knew are locked up or dead now. I didn't get into crime and drugs etc like everyone else did
Old 23-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

imo just because you have a crininal record doesnt mean your more at risk as a motorist.. what aload of bollocks
Old 23-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by BlueSmoke
I grew up on one of the roughest estates going and most people I knew are locked up or dead now. I didn't get into crime and drugs etc like everyone else did
you obviously never GREW UP on the estate but happened to live there

i grew up in a number of areas and im FAR from what all my mates are like but ive still had me collor felt a few times and done a few things wrong

so NOT to get involved means you was never part of it
Old 23-01-2006, 12:30 PM
BlueSmoke

Originally Posted by b19bal
Originally Posted by BlueSmoke
you obviously never GREW UP on the estate but happened to live there

i grew up in a number of areas and im FAR from what all my mates are like but ive still had me collor felt a few times and done a few things wrong

so NOT to get involved means you was never part of it
Fuck..... you really have no idea do you? I didn't grow up on that estate? So was I imagining it when I used to have to fight my way out of an ambush every other day?

Try getting attacked by gangs of dickheads on a regular basis and then have someone tell you you didn't grow up on that estate FFS

Apart from that paragraph you quoted Ginge, my post was meant to be light hearted.

Yes me and my best mate used to get upto mischief as kids but we didn't go around committing crimes, even though that was the done thing in that place.

I think the worst I ever did was buy a gat gun and the time we were hanging out in a cave in the woods overlooking a housing estate and we started a kind of "camp fire" (no jokes please ) by using aerosols and matches like flamethrowers!

But please, don't comment on my childhood when you have no idea how much of a hell it was everyday
Old 23-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

you lived ont he estate mate,,,,,,,,, i lived opposite a council estate and i grew up on that estate,,,,,,,, even though i neve lived there

that was my point,,,,,,,,,, if you grew up on that estate you would not have had hell,,,,, cause you would have been one of them and as a result would have ended up with some form of minor conviction as its just part of what happens at times

never ment to offend,,,,,,, just you stated as if you was part of a council gang but you was the only one that never broken the law or got nicked,,,,it was cause you was the SMART one who new that it wasnt right no matter how much fun it may have seemed at the time

wa mocking you, just trying to explain the difference
Old 23-01-2006, 12:51 PM
BlueSmoke

you lived ont he estate mate,,,,,,,,, i lived opposite a council estate and i grew up on that estate,,,,,,,, even though i neve lived there

that was my point,,,,,,,,,, if you grew up on that estate you would not have had hell,,,,, cause you would have been one of them and as a result would have ended up with some form of minor conviction as its just part of what happens at times

never ment to offend,,,,,,, just you stated as if you was part of a council gang but you was the only one that never broken the law or got nicked,,,,it was cause you was the SMART one who new that it wasnt right no matter how much fun it may have seemed at the time

wa mocking you, just trying to explain the difference
No worries mate, can understand that. Just felt like I was being made out as somebody who stayed in the house 24/7 and was sheltered from real life the way it read.
Old 23-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

what you mean stayed in all the time browsing on passionford
Old 23-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

quoted

"Provision of services
Some contracts, such as insurance polices, are governed by the legal principle that all relevant information must be disclosed by the person seeking insurance, whether or not it is asked for - otherwise the contract could be treated as invalid. Clearly, the existence of a driving offence or an offence of dishonesty could be relevant to an insurance company's assessment of the risk and the appropriate level of the premium. However, the the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 clearly states that your duty to disclose all relevant information does not extend to disclosing convictions which are spent"

end quote...

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/your-ri...services.shtml

hth
Old 23-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Eagle
quoted

"Provision of services
Some contracts, such as insurance polices, are governed by the legal principle that all relevant information must be disclosed by the person seeking insurance, whether or not it is asked for - otherwise the contract could be treated as invalid. Clearly, the existence of a driving offence or an offence of dishonesty could be relevant to an insurance company's assessment of the risk and the appropriate level of the premium. However, the the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 clearly states that your duty to disclose all relevant information does not extend to disclosing convictions which are spent"

end quote...

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/your-ri...services.shtml

hth
that clears it up then

so they couldnt just say " have you got any convictions for fraud in the last 5 years,,,,,,,,, rather than having to admit you slapped a copper after he tried to feel your bollocks,,,,,,,,,, thought that you was allowed privicy,,, guess not

and why call it "time spent" instead of saying "time spent usually means 5 years unless serious offence"

i hate the way the legal system if full of long words and old fashioned phrases
Old 23-01-2006, 06:16 PM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

because time spent could be different for all types of crimes etc.

like... if you do 12 years for causing a death or something.... and come out of prison is that time spent??

anyway don't see what it matters..... they ask you your profession, your driving history etc etc etc.... they are the ones who decide your risk based on certain assumptions about that information.

i.e. say youre a welder - do you have more or less accidents than a doctor?? bit of arc eye might cause some difficulty driving home, as could the pressure from doing some major surgery, seeing someone die working long shifts as a doctor etc etc..... but no they calculate... how many doctors or welders have claimed on policies...

the more information they have the more accurate an assumption potentially they could make.
what could you have a criminal record for that you couldn't relate to 'potentially' causing you to be more of a risk than the exact same person without a record?
Old 23-01-2006, 06:21 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by M Brian
what could you have a criminal record for that you couldn't relate to 'potentially' causing you to be more of a risk than the exact same person without a record?
i can think of a few, but its irrellevent as IMO no more of a risk than someone without a crim record..

out of interest, do they stay on file for life? or do they/it get wiped??
Old 23-01-2006, 06:44 PM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

maybe In your opinion... but its time to play family fortunes....

we asked 100 hundred people:
is a person without a criminal record of any sort just as likely to crash a car as a person with one....

and our survey said...

uh uh...

suppose its your money, youre placing a bet of £1500 (assumed average claim value) that the person on the other end of the phone won't make a claim.
you are saying that you would give exactly the same odds to someone with as someone without?
bear in mind if they say yes you cannot afford the time to do a full CRB check on the person to find out what it was for exactly etc you have to take their word for it, you cannot be judge jury and executioner for the potential crime they have already been found guilty of.

in fact you can't even speak to the person to decide yourself... youre leaving instructions on how to handle it for some man or woman in her early 20s who youre giving 7 or 8 quid an hour to make that desicion for you after 5 mins on the phone...

what odds do you give your operator to give?
Old 23-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

see that DONT make a difference,,,,,,,,, a bank robber or criminal is LESS likley to claim on insurance than a "follow the law" type person

ill prove it,,,,,,, i may technically come in that catogory,,,,,,, i guessing westy does too

now westys car is a FUCKING CLEAN MOTOR that he looks after,,,,,,, he hasnt crashed it nor wrote it off

me,,,,,,, well my neighbour reversed into my door,,,,,,,,,,, i never even bothered to have a go at him as the car aint worth it,,,,,,,, ive got a parking dent in the cossie,,,,,,, i was GONNA claim for it BUT i never cause the paper work was too much like hard work so i couldnt be arsed and just got it done myself

also ive NEVER had a crash,,,,,,, well actually i crashed the bosses truck but that wasnt my fault and even then no claim took place as the other driver wasnt insured

BUT look at all you nice law biding people who claim for windscreens and whip lash claims ect

former criminals who made a mistake in the past tend to go by the street and dont put in pony claims for 2k unless they need to

thats my opinion anyway and its from the experience that non of my mates have claimed on there insurance but there parents claim for everything
Old 23-01-2006, 08:13 PM
toff

see that DONT make a difference,,,,,,,,, a bank robber or criminal is LESS likley to claim on insurance than a "follow the law" type person

ill prove it,,,,,,, i may technically come in that catogory,,,,,,, i guessing westy does too

now westys car is a FUCKING CLEAN MOTOR that he looks after,,,,,,, he hasnt crashed it nor wrote it off

me,,,,,,, well my neighbour reversed into my door,,,,,,,,,,, i never even bothered to have a go at him as the car aint worth it,,,,,,,, ive got a parking dent in the cossie,,,,,,, i was GONNA claim for it BUT i never cause the paper work was too much like hard work so i couldnt be arsed and just got it done myself

also ive NEVER had a crash,,,,,,, well actually i crashed the bosses truck but that wasnt my fault and even then no claim took place as the other driver wasnt insured

BUT look at all you nice law biding people who claim for windscreens and whip lash claims ect

former criminals who made a mistake in the past tend to go by the street and dont put in pony claims for 2k unless they need to

thats my opinion anyway and its from the experience that non of my mates have claimed on there insurance but there parents claim for everything
after just reading this a can see where your coming from and totally agree
Old 23-01-2006, 09:14 PM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

pony claims - you don't claim for whiplash off your own insurance though do you?

so the company insurer isn't going to think... ah ha im not insuring a doctor cos he can write his own sick notes and con an insurance company out of some money.

claiming for everything is cos they are tight and want to get what money they can out of things and they believe the hype from the claim culture tv, americans lol whatever

hardly relevant to insuring you own vehicle.
Old 23-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

hardly relevant to insuring you own vehicle

nor is my conviction for posseing a class a drug or ABH from when i was 19 relevent to me insuring a car when im 26 and got a family and a morgage

btw ive not been done for them crimes just a example

the profesional people are more likley to claim,,,,, fact !!!

how many cossie boys dont claim due to there insurance being higher so they break there cars,,,,,,,,, infact people who do DIY on cars seem to be better at not crashing than the blokes who spend for repairs too,,,,,, why not include taht aswell,,,,,, oh i know cause that would make us pay LESS and not MORE

BUT i di understand there theory behind it,,,,,, but its bollox imo