General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

traders insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 18-01-2006, 11:54 PM
Turbo Zetec
Engine Machinist

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default traders insurance?

hi all,

i've just had my insurance renewal through for my saff at £1600, so i wondered if i'd be better off getting traders insurance to allow me to insure both of my cars under one policy and drive others when i need to?

who is everyone insured with? and how much does it cost roughly?

thanks,
martin.
Old 19-01-2006, 05:39 AM
COSSIE 1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only problem is if the car/cars are stolen/written of u will only get trade value..... ....which wont be fcuk all on a sapp cosworth
Old 19-01-2006, 05:43 AM
rscostalot
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have traders ins,£1300.00 fully comp cover's my coz up to the value of £10.000.00 and my van for £1000.00 and any other car to the value of £56.000.00 so not bad and thats with an SP30....and n/n/c..
Old 19-01-2006, 05:57 AM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some policies exclude the driving of Cosworths so be careful and as stated above if something went wrong you'd end up with just trade value and these arent trade price cars.

Just to give you an example though, I'm 38, 5yrs+ no claims, clean licence, fully comp and mine was £950 and before that £386 TPFT but that was on a part time traders policy.

You'll just have to shop around for quotes as they vary a lot. Oh and remember, Ins comps will let you value anything until it comes to paying up...
Old 19-01-2006, 06:45 AM
TrickyDicky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you'll also find it difficult putting in a claim if needed if you have no proof of trading, i know of quite a few people who tried this years ago thinking with a trade policy they can drive any car cheaper than insuring it properly, at least 2 of them had to claim over a perioid of time and in both instances claims were thrown out due to absolutley no proof of trading being given. the insurance companies have got wise to this and have started putting in exclusions, under my policy i can have ANY car apart from Imprezas aren't covered for anything!

hth

Tricky
Old 19-01-2006, 02:05 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

im not a trader,, but i would like some sort of trade insurance as i drive alot of cars (normally helping mates out with faults and the like) but im only covered 3rd party

anyone know if i could somehow get a pollicy,,,, i know i could do the old blag of im a part time car dealer,, but with insurance i simply dont wanna lie

Old 19-01-2006, 03:41 PM
rallycross

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The crappest of all trade policies is possibly Tradex, they'll take your money alright but don't expect any payout (esp if you are not trading), plus they dont cover Cosworths or cars insured in your own name if parked 800m or closer to your house (!).

Under recent new legislation you have to notify your trade insurer of every change of car within 14 days, if you are not doing this then they would know you are not a trader.

There are no short-cuts if you want proper insurance your gona have to pay! Same goes for a good trade policy, good ones are not cheap.