General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Car alarm horror stories......

Search this Thread

Old 18-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Phil
Jeebus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was installed quite well by a previous owner

You can see the alarm control box in the middle, right up behind the dash! It always worked perfectly and was only a Laserline alarm, total closure etc
Old 18-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Old 18-01-2006, 07:41 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
In Fact, stu collared me earlier and told me "Due to the poor quality of the previous owners install, my car may now not be ready until Friday... So thats THREE days for a decent install...
Even after all the crap me and Nick removed?!?
Old 18-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Moose 130
Advanced PassionFord User

My Clifford 600(maybe?) in my old Escos was installed in under one day by two guys. Never went wrong.

Will get them to do my cars again without question.

Even if one is known as 'Dodgy Bob'
Old 18-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Chrissy_bwoy

got one guy who looks after all my cars and mates cars and hes top man, never seen a shoddy bit of work, he actually has an album of photos in his shop... 'how not to install an alarm' some of them really are comical
Old 18-01-2006, 10:46 PM
RobCarden
358bhp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i first got my sierra it had a concept 50. sense and tell, window lift, dual zone prox, tracker. none of it worked dashboard sometimes looked like a mobile disco

all sorted now. new clifford is spot on. the guy who fitted it left all the panels of so i could have a quick look.
Old 18-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Originally Posted by DazC
Even after all the crap me and Nick removed?!?
Yeah Daz, that piccy above was taken TODAY!!
Old 18-01-2006, 11:12 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I once watched a professional alarm installer place a lit gas powered soldering iron on the glovebox lid of a brand new renault clio (think it was a clio) needless to say he soon shouted arghh as he smelt burning, cost him a new lid!!!

steve
Old 19-01-2006, 01:40 AM
wildheart
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I need a new alarm on one of my cars and this lot is putting me off

I wont be getting a bloody clifford again,the fobs keep losing there code.

Both fobs lost code once so i couldnt drive the car,the place that fitted it wouldnt come out even though it has a life time warranty,Couldnt get anyone out at all to do it so i had to arrange for a low loader to take it to the place that fitted it

Sinse then a code has gone in one again so i took it back to them and they say they cant fix it because they dont know the valet code,Best thing is i never reprograme the valet code from the factory setting so its strange how they fixed it shortly before
Old 19-01-2006, 07:54 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

I wonder if thats really common? Ive had them all teh time ive driven and never heard iof it, and they must be one of the most common alarms that come through my doors as i only work on performance cars, and i dont recall anyone ever mentioning that fault with em....

I sure Stu can comment for us though.
Old 19-01-2006, 07:59 AM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by wildheart

Both fobs lost code once so i couldnt drive the car,the place that fitted it wouldnt come out even though it has a life time warranty,Couldnt get anyone out at all to do it so i had to arrange for a low loader to take it to the place that fitted it

Sinse then a code has gone in one again so i took it back to them and they say they cant fix it because they dont know the valet code,Best thing is i never reprograme the valet code from the factory setting so its strange how they fixed it shortly before
really??!!! or is that just what they told you..??
They just don't do that, and the chance of 3 !! fobs failing, never mind "losing their code", all belonging to you is soo unlucky to be untrue! IMO likely to be a communication problem between fob and controller that could be due to a number of things. What model of system was it?
Old 19-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

as above. more likely to be an installation problem.
Old 19-01-2006, 09:20 AM
Yamaha
Part of the Furniture

Back in our younger days, my Sister and i both had modified Sierras, hers was a pretty mint and well sorted XR4i, anyhow, time came to buy an alarm, and she chose, what at the time was pretty much, the De'Facto unit.. The Clifford Concept 50.

My sister worked 7 days a week in Morecambe, so being without the car for more than 1 day would be a logistical nightmare as i was dropping her off for work and picking her up again later from Blackpool, so, all we had to do now was find a suitable local installer.

We tried a chap in Blackpool, and he stold us no problem, decent price, but 3 DAYS to install!! Val made her excuses and tried a few other places, turns out that no one else in Blackpool was authorised to do Clifford's0 so she headed further afield, to, i recall, Blackburn...

"No problem luv, can do that in about 4hrs... no problem"
Excellent, car was dropped of, val ferried to work, car collected later that night... simple. What a quality piece of kit it seemed to be too.. apart from the occasional (Hourly) false alarm... "It will need time to bed in" they said, when she complained.. "Bedding in" period ensued.. false alarms continued... (hourly)

Back to Blackburn, day off work... "Fine tuning" is carried out...

Val drives home, outside lane of motorway at, i expect, 70mph clunk, engine stops dead. No ignition....

Coast over to hard shoulder with no power steering....

Car starts again and is fine, for a few days, until.... going to work in Morcambe.. 70mph again, clunk, engine stops dead again.... and theres a burning smell eminating from behind the dash!!

Anyway, cut a LONG story short, it turns out these cowboys have made a hash of the installation and the main circuits are being imobilised live... Val gets onto Clifford HQ and they arrange for her to meet the UK area rep at their nearest appointed Clifford Dealer... hmm.. now wheres that? You guessed it.....

The chap who wanted too long to do the job in the first place.....

So, the local clifford dealer carefully strips back the cowlings under the watchfull eye of Clifford uk and after some carefull investigation, it transpires that the dealer had actually INTERUPTED the MAIN Live feed to the Ignition and sent the whole fooking lot through the Clifford, so the poor thing was literally melting inside!!

Once it was concluded this was definately what was wrong, in Front of this dealer and my sister, the Clifford UK chap gets on his mobile, calls this place in Blackburn, asks for the manager and then, in earshot of everyone says "Get all your Clifford stock and point of sale stuff together for collection please, im sending a van across, youve lost your dealership as of this second"

Val got a thousand appologies, Clifford paid this local dealer to install a totally new alarm properly and this local dealer got on very well with Val from then on, even fully understanding why she went elsewhere to start with, we all saw how a job should be done properly and WHY it takes so long to get them 100% right, and, well, one thing led to another and Val married him some 3 years later.

The local dealer in question, is of course, Stu@BSC over the road from me.
How were we having to go back to Stu @ BSC??

Also, the prox sensor didn't work AT ALL so the Blackburn .... erm, "fitters" had obviously not bothered to test the system before letting me drive away Simply sticking their hand through the window to check if it triggered the alarm was obviously too much for them

In addition, I paid for a tilt motion sensor to protect my wheels This didn't appear to work either Turns out, when we went back ( caps firmly in hand ) to BSC, they had fitted a shock sensor

Anyway, Stu didnt say, "i told you so" (although I'm sure he had a good chuckle when we left ) and all is now well!
Old 19-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Old 19-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Taz
Visitor from the Darkside

It brings a tear to my eye!!!! A true fairytale ending.

On a serious note I see what Stu is doing but yes it is worth getting it done right first time. Sometimes that means a professional that you trust and sometimes it CAN be DIY.

Cheers

Graham
Old 19-01-2006, 12:20 PM
jbrayley
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I bought a brand new BMW M3 convertable about 6 years ago and it came as standard with one of the best engine transponder immobilisers on the market built into the ecu. However it wasnt enough for me so went to the local sextons dealer, who were the only authorised clifford dealers in the south wales area at the time and asked about a concept 600 (they had just came out). They tried to persuade me to get an avantguard 4 alarm with remote start but I explained I didnt want the standard security compromised - just built on. They ensured me that the standard ecu immobilsier would still work, but the remote start would go "round the back" of this and it would be fine. I realised now how absurd that sounds but I knew little about security then. I agreed to have it installed and everything seemed ok.............

Then a few days later I noticed the ignition barrel was missing, I discovered they had put one of my spare keys (I had lent them and subsequently forgot about) inside the ignition barrel and put it inside the dash to bypass the ecu immob and enable the remote start to work! After talking to them I then found out the didnt fut the wireless immobiliser on the car due to problems they had (even though that was the main selling point for me). Things got worse when I realised I could bypass the ignition cut by turning the headlights on!!! apparently the "nightvision" was keeping the circuit open!!. My car was basically only protected by a starter cut! and could bumpstart my car!!!

The car was far less protected than before I took it to them! I know that most of the threads on this post have been to do with quality of wiring etc, but even wired the wiring is ok, I still think the quailty of hiding the control unit and the circuit cuts are paramount. I always here poeple are happy with their installations becuase they never false alarm.........but how do we know for sure how well secured our cars are without stripping it down ourselves Too many cowboys out there making a quick buck.
Old 19-01-2006, 01:31 PM
S1

I bought an MG ZR160 new a few years ago. One of the stipulations of the insurance was that it needed to be fitted with a Tracker so I got onto them and ordered a fitment of the basic Tracker unit. They sent out what was supposed to be there top fitter in my area (Chelmsford) The guy came out and fitted it at my home address. He seemed a bit clumsy TBH and when he was running the final testing he dropped his mini-printer so it stopped working and couldnt print out the results. He assured me it was all ok though but I insisted that I wanted a legible copy so he arranged to come back another day to do the print out again. He assured me again that the systen was active and working fine.

Anyway, a couple of weeks go by and I still havent heard from him. . Also by this time i have installed an ICE system and found a few problems with the install of the Tracker. The unit itself has been tucked inside of the centre console by the gear lever and is about a 30 second job to rip out. You could have lifted the gear lever gaitor and there it was. The wiring has been done atrociously, the power wire has been run over the top of the pedal box but is so tight its like a guitar string Cant get hold of him on the phone so phone up Tracker direct. They have no record of my install and inform me it it is not active I went mad and threatened them with allsorts. They said they would phone back by the end of the day to which I thought, yeah righto. That afternoon I got a call from the MD himself who said he would arrange for it to be refitted by the bloke. I informed him that no way would that bloke be working on my car again and e-mailed him photos of the install. Once he had seen them he arranged for the unit to be removed and a new one fitted by the top installer in the country who was no longer a fitter but now trained all their new fitters. I was later informed by the MD that the original fitter was no longer working for Tracker
Old 19-01-2006, 01:56 PM
jbrayley

Well i told you a story about my clifford on my M3.........wait till you hear about the trackstar...................lol. They sent an "experienced" fitter - which basically meant he was old lol. He told me he regularly puts these systems on bentleys etc. Then he pulled out this long arial and a drill and proceeded to look at my boot. I asked what he was doing and he said he was going to drill a hole in the boot of my Brand new Ł48000 BMW to put a GPS arial! the thing looked like it come off a taxi!. I told him no way, and he then fitted a covert one which looks like a tax disc. I mean come on, whats wrong with these people - good job I took the day off!

After that fisco, he proceeds to fit the unit under the carpet in the passenger footwell - which basically stands out a mile. and then couldnt get the damn thing working. about three days later and multiple false alarms he told me he wired it up to positive rather than negative or something? What an idiot. Eventually I took it to a company called TES in Bristol (whose main geezer was on the board of the VSIB) and he was horrified at both the clifford and the trackstar. They re-isntalled both systems and said the trackstar wasnt even working properly. They installed the trackstar on a custom bracket behind the back seat - about 30mins access time so a lot better lol. Top guys
Old 19-01-2006, 02:11 PM
NovalutionGSi
Regular Contributor

Some good and interesting stories here. defo never going to N.I.C.E!

i had a great time fitting my 1st alarm to my 1st SR nova. took an afternoon for what was fitted so you cna guess it wasnt that hot. but it did the job as far as letting everyone know it was alarmed. i hadnt got round to fitting the Immobilser to it before the car was scrapped! myself and a mate had great fun setting the alarm whilst driving so it'd then go off! looking back on it now was pretty stupid but hey we had a laugh what with him hanging out of the passenger window shouting " we just fooking nicked it"

anyway, my insurance company told me i needed one on the GSi, so saved my money up got a few Quotes and went locally to a guy in Spalding (hotmodz), dropped the car off at 9am and picked her up at 4pm. i've had no troubles with it so far, althou some of the under dash work isnt quite as good as i'd like it. oh..... yeh there was, reading the manual for my Cliffard Concept 650 theres an anti-hi-jack thing that from what i can make out cuts the engine a few hundred yards down the road and flashed brake lights etc. well i had my rents take me to pick the car up, which afterwards they told me i had no brake lights..... now i'm not sure what caused it if it was something to do with the alarm or whilst they fitted it but my brake pedel switch had gone faulty!
Old 19-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Cliffard Concept 650 theres an anti-hi-jack thing that from what i can make out cuts the engine a few hundred yards down the road and flashed brake lights etc.
Thats one of its MAIN features... doesnt it fooking work?

You SHOULD have to key in a code on the valet swicth every time you set off..... surely they havent disabled it?
Old 19-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Yamaha
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by NovalutionGSi
Some good and interesting stories here. defo never going to N.I.C.E!

i had a great time fitting my 1st alarm to my 1st SR nova. took an afternoon for what was fitted so you cna guess it wasnt that hot. but it did the job as far as letting everyone know it was alarmed. i hadnt got round to fitting the Immobilser to it before the car was scrapped! myself and a mate had great fun setting the alarm whilst driving so it'd then go off! looking back on it now was pretty stupid but hey we had a laugh what with him hanging out of the passenger window shouting " we just fooking nicked it"

anyway, my insurance company told me i needed one on the GSi, so saved my money up got a few Quotes and went locally to a guy in Spalding (hotmodz), dropped the car off at 9am and picked her up at 4pm. i've had no troubles with it so far, althou some of the under dash work isnt quite as good as i'd like it. oh..... yeh there was, reading the manual for my Cliffard Concept 650 theres an anti-hi-jack thing that from what i can make out cuts the engine a few hundred yards down the road and flashed brake lights etc. well i had my rents take me to pick the car up, which afterwards they told me i had no brake lights..... now i'm not sure what caused it if it was something to do with the alarm or whilst they fitted it but my brake pedel switch had gone faulty!

Hmmm, sounds like it is disabled
Old 19-01-2006, 05:31 PM
simoncrowe

I had a 325 convertible which i had a clifford concept 600 with intellistart on. The place that wired it up forgot to wire the part up that stops it from starting the engine when tha car is in gear (was an automatic). I thought i was being clever one morning by starting my car while i was still in bed so it would be warm by the time i got to it. When i heard a loud bang i looked out of my window and wondered why my car had drove up my drive and through my fence!

A phone conversation then followed between me and the place that fitted it which involved lots of shouting and swearing as my nice, mint, not a scratch on it, 325i convertible was now sitting on top of my squashed fence!
Old 19-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Yamaha
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by simoncrowe
I had a 325 convertible which i had a clifford concept 600 with intellistart on. The place that wired it up forgot to wire the part up that stops it from starting the engine when tha car is in gear (was an automatic). I thought i was being clever one morning by starting my car while i was still in bed so it would be warm by the time i got to it. When i heard a loud bang i looked out of my window and wondered why my car had drove up my drive and through my fence!

A phone conversation then followed between me and the place that fitted it which involved lots of shouting and swearing as my nice, mint, not a scratch on it, 325i convertible was now sitting on top of my squashed fence!

What was the outcome??
Old 19-01-2006, 06:02 PM
The DIVA
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The Concept 300 install in my Escos is absolutely appalling...

The alarm ecu is tucked behind the column strengthener behind the clocks and becaues it shakes around the loom is chafed to fook,it`s a good job i decided to pull the clocks out as it wont be long before it wears through......

Gonna rip it all out and install it properly myself...

Think i will be pulling the dash out of Shorty`s saffy as well to check his..
Old 19-01-2006, 07:28 PM
wildheart
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by richm

really??!!! or is that just what they told you..??
They just don't do that, and the chance of 3 !! fobs failing, never mind "losing their code", all belonging to you is soo unlucky to be untrue! IMO likely to be a communication problem between fob and controller that could be due to a number of things. What model of system was it?
Concept 50
Old 19-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Seems to me like most places should be closed down and only the proper places should remain in business providing an honest reliable and quality service.
Old 19-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no io think that the companys that allow the installs should work exactly the same as MOT stations,,,,,,,,, infact more strict as its easy to install wrong and it be too late when found out

my alarm installation is VERY good apart from the locaion of the peizo sensor,,,,,,, but thats not been changed

the install of my tracker was some what appaling though,,,,,,,,, the brains are located where the ford fit wheel jack is located,,,,,,,,,,, and i only discovered that when i went to change a flat and found a tracker instead

oh forgot to mention ive since relocated it, was a BITCH to fit when i installed it so i hope its just as hard to rip out,,,,,,,, gotta love dedicated fuse boxes too
Old 20-01-2006, 09:08 AM
NovalutionGSi
Regular Contributor

Cliffard Concept 650 theres an anti-hi-jack thing that from what i can make out cuts the engine a few hundred yards down the road and flashed brake lights etc.
Thats one of its MAIN features... doesnt it fooking work?

You SHOULD have to key in a code on the valet swicth every time you set off..... surely they havent disabled it?
ahhhh, Right time to have a chat with them then! all i do is unlock the doors with the fob and get in, if you dont star tthe car within 30secs or so the immobiliser cuts in again, then just press the unlock button again and it takes it off.

BUT on the nova there is a way of getting the car started with out even hot wiring the car. which they havnt or didnt know about. but hey they moaned about my Digi Dash wiring..... oh how they will wish they hadnt now. Thanks guys.
Old 20-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

The Blackjax, incidentally, is wired into the rear brake lights for one reason and another, so i guess they should fix that too eh... especially as that MAY be why it doiesnt actually work

Incompetence of teh highest order... Blackjax is the best feature on any alarm on teh market today IMO
Old 20-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

all this sh1te came out aswell...

and all these fookin keys...!!!

and as above, i had blackjax on my evo, and have to agree swith stu, probably the best feature of ANY alarm on the market today IMO - could save even your life...
Old 20-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dave Henshall
have to agree swith stu, probably the best feature of ANY alarm on the market today IMO - could save even your life...
So lets charge for it, then leave it not working!!
Old 20-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

o yeh, reading the above stories is shocking - even in teh book when you know how it should work, its still not too clear how to enable it etc.. takes bit of getting used to and you need to change the pin number to something a bit less complicated than: *.*.*.* *.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.* *.*.*.*.*
Old 20-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Uee the cliffnet wizzard... its cool.

http://www.clifford.com/g5/wizard/default.asp
Old 20-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Gooey
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I had a Clifford Concept 600, I wont comment on it as someone else now owns the car but it was bad
Old 20-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Stu @ BSC
Part of the Furniture

Hi mate, Sounds like you havent had much luck with your Clifford
If the systems not been fitted well you can end up with a lot of problems its down to the installer most of the time.

In 12 years Ive seen a lot of very bad installs from so called pro fitters not saying who. mobile fitters need to be avoided at all costs

What model clifford have you got? Is it a G3 Concept 50, 50x or a G4 c300, c500,c600, G5, arrow 5, 450, 550, 650 system?

I've been fitting Cliffords for 12 years and have lots of happy customers that return when they change cars
If you need any help with your alarm let me know and i will see if i can help
Old 20-01-2006, 06:35 PM
Stu @ BSC
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by jbrayley
I bought a brand new BMW M3 convertable about 6 years ago and it came as standard with one of the best engine transponder immobilisers on the market built into the ecu. However it wasnt enough for me so went to the local sextons dealer, who were the only authorised clifford dealers in the south wales area at the time and asked about a concept 600 (they had just came out). They tried to persuade me to get an avantguard 4 alarm with remote start but I explained I didnt want the standard security compromised - just built on. They ensured me that the standard ecu immobilsier would still work, but the remote start would go "round the back" of this and it would be fine. I realised now how absurd that sounds but I knew little about security then. I agreed to have it installed and everything seemed ok.............

Then a few days later I noticed the ignition barrel was missing, I discovered they had put one of my spare keys (I had lent them and subsequently forgot about) inside the ignition barrel and put it inside the dash to bypass the ecu immob and enable the remote start to work! After talking to them I then found out the didnt fut the wireless immobiliser on the car due to problems they had (even though that was the main selling point for me). Things got worse when I realised I could bypass the ignition cut by turning the headlights on!!! apparently the "nightvision" was keeping the circuit open!!. My car was basically only protected by a starter cut! and could bumpstart my car!!!

The car was far less protected than before I took it to them! I know that most of the threads on this post have been to do with quality of wiring etc, but even wired the wiring is ok, I still think the quailty of hiding the control unit and the circuit cuts are paramount. I always here poeple are happy with their installations becuase they never false alarm.........but how do we know for sure how well secured our cars are without stripping it down ourselves Too many cowboys out there making a quick buck.
Hi, When fitting a Clifford intellistart system to a bmw with factory Immobiliser you need a Bmw Immobiliser bypass module this can be supplied from Clifford.

It is designed so you can keep the factory immobiliser working as it should

The intellistart when activated by remote will send a coded signal to your factory immobiliser so letting it start your engine

It sounds like the installer didn't know how to do his job

I've been fitting Cliffords for 12 years and have put wright lots of systems from other dealers up and down the country
The product is great when fitted correctly
Old 20-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Smiler
Regular Contributor

I have no pics of my alarm as fitted but here goes what I remember about it:

The power supply from the battery was an inch long straight to a fuse holder that contained 5 blade fuses with an eposed 'bridge' (technicaly known as a bus) along one side to feed all the fuses that has no insulation and brushed against the bonnet hinge. Fortunately it didn't weld itself to it but iof the car didn't catch fire, it wouldn't take much to disable the alarms supply.

The immobiliser cuts from the ignition barrel were not seperated and the alarms loom was just twisted with the original loom and a blob of solder applied. Many more horror stories were uncovered with the rest of it but thankfully not one scotch lock in site. I think he might have thought that was a bit too obvious!
Old 20-01-2006, 11:52 PM
jbrayley

Hi Stu, yes they tired the immobiliser bypass module but apprently this wouldnt work with the transponder becuase it couldnt send a strong enough signal. The bmw specific module came out a while after - I had the alarm install the first month it came onto the market. Also because the interior light would come on they couldnt even get the "safestart" to work so earthed it so it would start in gear - which incidently cost me Ł800 in repaiing the front of my car when it went into a fence
Old 21-01-2006, 12:03 AM
philc

i remember a few years back when i had an xr3, needed a cat 2 immobiliser for the insurance, looked about and my local motorworld had a very good deal on clifford virtua (sp?) keys. free mobile fitting etc inc in the price jobs a good 'un i thought

chap turns up, took a day of work etc. Off he goes installing the thing, chatting shit , i used to have one of these etc, turbo conversion bla bla.

I happily stood there and watched him almost finish the job, and he asks what i do for a living!! Oh just an auto sparkie i mention Took longer to finish the last few connections than it did to do install the rest of it i think i had the best install this guy had ever did, custom brackets, full on black heat shrink, carpets up, spent most of his time doubled up on his back under the dash etc.

Didnt even make the shinky fooker a brew