General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anybody watching SURFACE?

Search this Thread

Old 16-01-2006, 09:24 AM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody watching SURFACE?

I know its not on in the UK yet.

I've seen the pilot epiosde but it cut short. Anyone else suffered this or was I unlucky where I got it from?

Anyways, this is supposed to be better than LOST but Im not sure...
Old 16-01-2006, 09:43 AM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

Not seen it but it certainly upset this guy:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452718/...hread/33811435
Old 16-01-2006, 09:46 AM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

Originally Posted by BlueSmoke
Not seen it but it certainly upset this guy:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452718/...hread/33811435
That link asks for a login
Old 16-01-2006, 10:25 AM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

Oh, sorry. It's the IMDB message board. Accounts are free but for those who can't be arsed :

Coolmess said
I ususally can't stand anything that is marketed too much. Most times a show that has a huge marketing is not worth watching. But I went against my better judgement and gave this show a chance. It's not worth watching.

This show is all about presenting women as being in control of men. I grew up during the womens lib movement and totally believe in the idea of equality between the sexes, but this show is not about equality. Every time it makes sense for a man to take charge of a situation or save the day, the writers make up some silly reason for the woman to take the lead. Look at how the boy is treated by his sister, there's no reason for her to be in this show. The boy already has a best friend to confide in and help him with his adventures. The sister as a writing plot is supurfluous. And yet they bring her in not to appeal to a younger audience like a possible girlfriend would, but to push him around. Then later in the hospital he has not one, but two female nursed along with his sister telling him what to do and ordering him around.

Now this alone wouldn't usually get my attention. Like I said I'm all for equality and don't mind have both men and women share the roles of heroes. But then take a look at the relationship between the lead female scientist and the boat guy. She's always telling him what to do, and they never show her being saved by him, even though she's a science person and he's an action person so he is stronger a better swimmer and more knowledgable about survival. He even had to stop and ask permission before spooning with her on the life raft. If I'm every in a freezing situation with another person around of course we would share body heat, it's not a question of sexual politics, it's a simple question of putting aside today's social protocals and admitting they need each other, so just shut up and try to survive.

Even when they introduce males in the show who might have a significant purpose to the story like finding a key piece of evidence, they kill them off. This show isn't about telling an interesting story, this is just another attempt to promote the lie that women are better than men. For the record I believe that neither sex is better than the other. Again equals. Different but equal.

I don't mind seeing women save men. I don't mine seeing women take up their roles as heros. But I can't stand contrived situations where it makes sense for the stronger more knowledgeable person to step up, yet steps aside only to show the less effective person in that situation as important.

Believe me, trying to change sexual politics by reversing an unequality is never the answer. The only way to put confrontation aside is stop fighting and learn to get along equally. This show doesn't do that. Now the new Scientist who has access to next level tech is of course a woman. Think she'll get killed off like that other scientist? NO of course not she's a woman, and the writers wouldn't dream of putting a woman in harms way would they? But men are just so much fodder to them.

And that's really too bad because I really like Martha Plimpton. I've missed her movies and shows. I think she's really very talented, but the reverse discrmination of this show is just too much for me to tolerate. No thanks. Not watching anymore.
Old 16-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default Re: Anybody watching SURFACE?

Originally Posted by EssexBoyRacer
Yes it is, it started at the weekend.
Old 16-01-2006, 10:48 AM
lamb chops
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ive seen all of the show so far and it is quite good, it wont have the wide appeal of Lost however. The above from IMDB is quite interesting however I never noticed that before.. Cant upset him to much though as its on ep 12 now and he's seen them all by the looks of it.
Old 16-01-2006, 10:49 AM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default Re: Anybody watching SURFACE?

Originally Posted by Billabong
Originally Posted by EssexBoyRacer
Yes it is, it started at the weekend.
Did it? What channel?
Old 16-01-2006, 10:58 AM
JxBabe
PassionFord Post Troll

ITV I think it was, on Saturday afternoon!

Kind of half watched it, seemed ok...