General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Car Spraying

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I charge £10 an hour if I go in the DMS ( Dry Media Stripping ) Booth, Or depending on a job, i'll just price it up as I go along

Havent a clue what it is on civvie street????
Old 02-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Freddy_mercury_magic
I charge £10 an hour if I go in the DMS ( Dry Media Stripping ) Booth, Or depending on a job, i'll just price it up as I go along

Havent a clue what it is on civvie street????
ALOT more i reckon....
Old 02-01-2006, 01:42 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Probably will be Damo.. but I get paid anyway

So anything more is a bonus
Old 02-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Damo ur right bout grav fed not being able 2 hold as much, 1 of its drawbacks unfortuantly
Plus if u fill it up 2 much it heavy 2 work with, espeically with high build primers etc!! Forgot how light it was 2 topcoat when i did some bits on my cossie last week as ive been just priming for the last 9months!! but all ive used is Gti's hence sticking with them!!

As damo said there is a nack 2 it but it aint rocket science and think with practice can be learnt, i was lucky with the college i went to was 5days a week and ALL practical so had a gun in my hand from the 1st week and cos i picked it up quick and showed some enthusiasm i had all the good jobs for the whole 9months

heres an austin 12 i did at college and my xr2i

Old 02-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Both look smart Tony

What colour is that XR2i?
Old 02-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Panther black Just looks straight black in the pics thou lol
Old 02-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

I thought it looked a really dark green
Old 02-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Everyone says that

Right im changing it again then
Old 02-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Old 02-01-2006, 05:20 PM
davidreader5
PassionFord Regular

Ryan,

Have a go, everybody has to start somewhere, it's easier if you have
someone with you who's sprayed before as that person can correct a lot of bad habits, try practising with primer as its easier to apply & to get some technique, keep the gun from the panel a hand span away,approx 7 to 8". and dont trigger the gun untill your moving, also dont trigger off while stopped keep moving and stop while moving as you will get a build up of paint when stopped on the panel, the pro's just shut the trigger a little just to stop the flow of paint and the air keeps coming as they paint. keep the gun at right angle to the panel, don't ark the gun, keep it the same distance across the panel and drop 50%for next pass, so covering the last pass of the panel by 50%, use hybuild primer as it has better coverage, most paint factors have data sheets for their paint as a guide on how to apply it eg temp, flash of between coats etc, and get a stick to mix the paint correctly, every paint manufacturer type of paint has its own type of feel, i started off with max mayer, then they moved and i used lechler products, it felt crap after max mayer, but got used to it added a bit more thinners, it was like chewing gum, ok with it know, i have heard dupont ici is surposed to be good and its nearly 3, times the price per litre compared to lechler, a good point i think is also getting the gun setup right as everybody is different, they move different some faster, some slower, curved surfaces such as bumpers can get runs easy, depending where you paint at least get a good fan to extract the fumes & overspray out, if in a backstreet garage and you dont have a lot of heat use a faster activater & thinners for the conditions, your paint supplier can advise you on this, also i went to tech for two courses, basic using celly paint, & the 2nd course for the whitches brew 2pack paint, but later used a mates booth and learnt more in a hour with him than 6,months of tech collage.
so keep your prep good dont cut corners as it will catch you out, and keep
your spray area as clean as you possible can, as you will be surprised
@ how and where dirt has came from. get a decent gun & setup for what
paint your using, get a cheap gun for priming, and clean them out thoroughly especially if using 2 pack. & some cheap thinners for cleaning
the gun, with the paint products use the same brand eg same make for paint, activator & thinner, best of luck. my car S2 is in the restore forum
under title S2 RESTORE.

DAVE R.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dissagree with Dupont mate, we use their primers/paint on SLRs and its fookin shite

Sayin that thou Dupont is the same group as Spies Hecker and Standox, same as Max Meyers is same as PPG and ICI so.................plus every company has their cheaper lines and more expensive ones!

But then you'll get different feedback on ALL products from different ppl so whats good for some isn't for others
Old 03-01-2006, 08:47 PM
davidreader5
PassionFord Regular

Toe knee,

Not tried dupont only max mayer & lechler, as said all paint has a different
feel to it,have you tried lechler a lot of guys i know condem it, but after a while i have got a good setup with it, but if i ever try dupont i can then compare, like having a mini then a cossie.

DAVE R.