General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

trackdays what pads ?

Search this Thread

Old 24-12-2005, 12:34 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

what a very funny thread, and as for the pics of andy's pads - just begs the question - WTF is he doign still using STANDARD rear brakes on a + 500hp car

thats the problem with them road brakes - thats just what they are - ffs fiestas have bigger brakes than what they fitted on the rear of the cosworths

and as for mintex used them for years - wouldnt consider anything else - simply because i KNOW they work
not going to go into compounds as we could be here for ever but what i fit to my own car front and rear has never let me down , and i only use discs smaller then 300mm
Old 24-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Tony Ryan
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony & Markk have very valid points about finding pads that suit YOUR requirements . The set up and the way you drive your car have a huge bearing on what does and what doesn't work on a track , bear in mind its a very different and far more hostile environmnet than on the road .
dont be put off if a compound eats your discs quicker than another , if cost is a consideration you shouldn't even be driving a car let alone quickly ! I know lots of pople who are quite serious about their trackday , most take a set of harder pads and some take discs and pads that are already bedded in purely for the track ., those that dont end up with lunched std pads and waste half their day !
Old 24-12-2005, 03:22 PM
GVK
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by NUTS RuS
Price should NOT come into it IMHO, your sat in a car worth potentially £000's and you worry over £50
Even with DS3000s I find that after two full open pit lane days at Cadwell you have to bin them as they lose their bite, ok they are still better than a road pad would be,but they lose their 'edge' and never feel as good as when you first fitted them. Ferodo's are affordable (£60+vat) to throw away after 2 track days.

If I used Pagid blues (£130) would they have the bite and then stay consistent for say.... four events to get my 'money's worth' out of them... ? That I don't know, so I stick with the 3000s

Tony, good points but we do all have different budgets at the end of the day
Old 24-12-2005, 04:11 PM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I use EBC redstuff in mine..... work 100% with no fade etc.... I know alot of people slag EBC off but I've had alot of cars using EBC and never had any problems with them
Old 24-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Gregs
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

had EBC green stuff in my ecos, did one track (evening session) and they were down to the metal!
got ds2500 in at moment but not been on travk with them yet, seem alot harder.
Old 24-12-2005, 04:59 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

I use Carbon Mettalics on track and they are incrdible.

Unfortunately, so is the amount of metal brake dust that comes off them, and the fact that they eat discs............. but then they work properly.

Lynne - it's not surprise that 1144 were crap on track - they're a road pad. But of course rally and racing drivers must all be wrong the world over and MIntex MUST be shit because Andy's using road pads on track days
Old 24-12-2005, 05:27 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Richard its an education thread not a witch hunt

Everyones entitled to their opinions based on experiences

I stick up for Mintex with a passion as they have never let me down, but have to admit they are not in the car at the moment. Im evaluating 4 different sets of Hawk racing pads.
Old 24-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

I like the DS2500 and 3000 personally, and if you buy any pads from AP Racing direct, these are the compounds you will buy from them.

Incidentally, quite a lot of Cossies do that to the REAR pads regardless of compound, the design is crap and when you slam on really hard the twats dont release once a year or so old, thus cooking the pad. Were the fronts ok?
Old 24-12-2005, 06:30 PM
GVK
Regular Contributor

I have tried Hawk blue 9012s

Awesome bite, loads of disc wear and the resultant dust/rust blend stuck to my wheels and sides of car and I had to have the wheels blasted to get rid.... and 9hrs ish of T cutting to get it off the car
Old 24-12-2005, 07:00 PM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Incidentally, quite a lot of Cossies do that to the REAR pads regardless of compound, the design is crap and when you slam on really hard the twats dont release once a year or so old, thus cooking the pad. Were the fronts ok?

I had EXACTLY that problem braking very hard from 150+mph..... sounded fookin awful for about 50 miles afterwards
Old 24-12-2005, 10:38 PM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Originally Posted by markk
what a very funny thread, and as for the pics of andy's pads - just begs the question - WTF is he doign still using STANDARD rear brakes on a + 500hp car

thats the problem with them road brakes - thats just what they are - ffs fiestas have bigger brakes than what they fitted on the rear of the cosworths

and as for mintex used them for years - wouldnt consider anything else - simply because i KNOW they work
not going to go into compounds as we could be here for ever but what i fit to my own car front and rear has never let me down , and i only use discs smaller then 300mm
Dear God..... Do I have to spell it out? For the last time.... he hasn't got, nor ever has had standard rear brakes! Just because he has uprated his already uprated brakes again, doesn't mean he had standard brakes!!!!!
Old 24-12-2005, 11:04 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Redkop

Dear God..... Do I have to spell it out? For the last time.... he hasn't got, nor ever has had standard rear brakes! Just because he has uprated his already uprated brakes again, doesn't mean he had standard brakes!!!!!
so why the pic of a standard sized pad ? im not saying he had/has - whatever - but the pic of the pads is a std rear pad - not interested in the compound as there is no compound out there that is good enough for a car like andy's in that size/shape
Old 24-12-2005, 11:16 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Redkop

it looks very much like andy had standard rear brake calipers on larger rear discs which would only give a marginal increase in braking... looks like he needs a 4 pot 315 or 330 kit. oh btw i can supply this
Old 25-12-2005, 02:17 AM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Why avoid answering the question of what compound they were

Can you spell those numbers out please if you know them - just for reference

I have the top guy at Mintex interested in this thread now