General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

DVLA/Govt. trying to legislate against moddified cars

Search this Thread

Old 14-07-2004, 09:47 AM
extra12
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVLA/Govt. trying to legislate against moddified cars

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/public/consul...vi_summary.htm

PLEASE everybody interested in being able to continue to engine swap, tube frame or significantly visually alter motor vehicles in the UK go to the DVLA web site and go through the nausea of completing thier online submission - also please request a copy of the consultation paper. Doesn't matter if you don't read it - they judge strength of public feeling on the number of them that the send out.

basically they are trying to screw anyone moddifying a car, and particularly those of us moddifying older cars (not allowing fitting of more modern components without having to re-register on a Q plate, having to go the SVA for your mods every time, etc.)

BTW kit means kit car built to original kit car spec not fitting a body kit.

Deadline is 19th July, they're sneaked this f*cker on us without any anouncement.

ALSO: please copy the link and post it on any other suitable web sites. The consultation list they have for this excercise includes such bodies as "The Christian Road Safety League" and RoSPA and the Vehicle Scrap Dismantlers Association, and not anyone to do with modifying cars or the moddified vehicle industry - need as much support for this as possible.
Old 14-07-2004, 09:50 AM
andy_patrick04
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

It looks 2me like they r just talking about heavily modified conversions, ie getting an old car, changing the shell, engine, chassis etc!

It doesnt sound 2me like this is anything to do with adding parts 2your engine bay or body. Only if u engine swap or change the shell does it affect modified cars, and your supposed to tell the dvla of that neways!!
Old 14-07-2004, 10:07 AM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

The way I read it, they want to stick everything that has been modified/restored/rebuilt etc etc on a Q plate!!! Unless you can prove it's age/identity!!
Old 14-07-2004, 11:09 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

i can't see a particular problem with this.

what is it exactly that you are bothered about?
Old 14-07-2004, 10:14 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mmmmmmmm i donmt think keithG666 will mind anymore

as for telling dvla about the conversion

ya dont at the moment, all ya have to declare is if there is a cc change ( thank fook mine aint , ame cc as it left the factory, just a few discreate mods to improve throttle response a touch