General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Running from cops and totally losing them- whats the law?

Search this Thread

Old 18-01-2006, 12:35 PM
davidch
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this just happened to me the other day but i ditched the car the cops found it and towed it away i had to go to the cop station and tried to report it stolen but because the had a idea it was me it wasnt worth trying to get out of it so i said it was me that was driving but didnt see them trying to pull me over as they were a good bit behind the fucked me with failing to stop and dangerous drinving am sure my lawyer will sort that out though
Old 18-01-2006, 12:45 PM
89xr2
Brap!

Dunno wether someones said it but what should happen, by law..

if they get your plate you get sent a proof of driver form. Much like you do when you get caught by a speedcamera. Basically you have to prove who was driving or prove you werent driving. If you cant do either the registered owner of the car gets done for whatever the crime was.

Thats what could happen with the law as it is.

As for no plates. Thing is these days you only get 1 chance of a plate offence. After the second one they take your car off the road and you have to go through the hassle of getting the fucker re registered with swansea. As long as they log the first offence your fucked if you get caught again.
Old 18-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by 89XR2
If you cant do either the registered owner of the car gets done for whatever the crime was.
Not quite. The registered keeper will get done for S172 Failing to Provide. The Maximum Penalty is 3 points and £1000.

Worth a punt if you're looking at a ban or worse!

The way I see it is that if they cant prove it was you, then the severity of the alleged offence has no bearing on the penalty for S172 which they will hit you with...

Neil.
Old 18-01-2006, 01:14 PM
89xr2
Brap!

Originally Posted by Neil S
Originally Posted by 89XR2
If you cant do either the registered owner of the car gets done for whatever the crime was.
Not quite. The registered keeper will get done for S172 Failing to Provide. The Maximum Penalty is 3 points and £1000.

Worth a punt if you're looking at a ban or worse!

The way I see it is that if they cant prove it was you, then the severity of the alleged offence has no bearing on the penalty for S172 which they will hit you with...

Neil.
Ah. fair enough. I didnt actually think to find out what you get done for. that bit was just an assumption on my part. My bad
Old 18-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidch
this just happened to me the other day but i ditched the car the cops found it and towed it away i had to go to the cop station and tried to report it stolen but because the had a idea it was me it wasnt worth trying to get out of it so i said it was me that was driving but didnt see them trying to pull me over as they were a good bit behind the fucked me with failing to stop and dangerous drinving am sure my lawyer will sort that out though
Legend still living the mad life eh

RW
Old 18-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Remember about... 6 weeks after passing my test, was driving my cousins MG ZR.

Was in a small country town at the offy getting drink for my mates who were back at the house drinking.

Rversed out of the space wheelspun forward, handbrake'd a 180 then wheelspun away... all in view of a merc traffic motor

Kept the shoe down and fired up the country roads i grew up on,lights out rally stylee, the whole fucking countryside lit up by blue lights im absolutely whoring up these country roads, car was twitching about like fuck, eventually got to my mates (farmhouse), flew the car into his barn, bolted in the house, keys for the tractor, parked the tractor across the back of the car like it'd been there all night , back inside and hid for a couple of hours.

Never heard anything about it to this day
Old 19-01-2006, 07:48 AM
davidch
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by Steven_RW
Originally Posted by davidch
Legend still living the mad life eh

RW

you know me steve