General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Interesting r/r vs road article

Search this Thread

Old 14-12-2005, 05:58 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting r/r vs road article

http://www.dentistmapped.com/roadtuning.htm

I found it interesting anyway

Mike
Old 14-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

good stuff
Old 14-12-2005, 10:44 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

not a bad read
Old 14-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice article from andy_f there
Old 15-12-2005, 07:51 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

good article

just to comment on some of the things said

2. There are no rolling roads that can properly simulate the airflow normally achieved on the open road through the intercooler and radiator. Proper cooling simulation would require a moving floor and variable speed fans (as found in professional wind tunnels). Some rolling roads do a better job than others, using high-powered centrifugal fans. Others just have a single axial flow low-pressure unit. On occasion this is just aiming at the intercooler and not. producing flow through it. Proper flow through the intercooler is critical in order to simulate normal running conditions a 10 degree increase in charge temperature can cause a considerable loss in power
it's debatable what effect a moving floor really has, at normal road speeds, say less than 100mph. but i certainly agree with the airflow. That's why our rolling road looks like this:

note the nozzle for the airflow, that covers the frontal area up to a speed of 110 kmh

to get that airflow, you require a rather large blower

and a 200 kW motor to drive it

5. Most rolling roads "correct" the measured bhp to a din standard for atmospheric pressure and temperature (and some don't bother!). The purpose of this correction factor is to allow for example a comparison between a five deg C winter day power run and a 25deg C summer day power run. The cooler air in winter being denser will (all else equal) produce more power than the 25 degree summer air. The din calculation compensates for the different air density and corrects all results to reflect what would have been achieved on a standard temperature and pressure day. This correction works well on normally aspirated cars but is inappropriate to turbo charged cars.The rollers which do not compensate are likely to read high results in winter and low results in summer. The din calculation looks at only air inlet temperature. There are however, two temperatures that affect a turbo cars output - air inlet temperature at the filter intake and air temperature after intercooler (charge temp) The air temperature at the filter does not affect the turbo car in the same way as it does in a non-turbo car. This is due to the turbochargers ability to partially compensate by spinning faster and still compressing the same amount of air regardless of temperature. There is however, a price to pay for this in increased exhaust gas back pressure and higher turbo discharge temperature which is dependant on density recovery in the intercooler. The air temperature after the intercooler will normally be higher on a rolling road due to the reduced cooling airflow. Depending on the ECU this may or may not be compensated for in the fuel and ignition maps. Power output will be reduced as a result. It is not uncommon to see a 40 degree c rise in charge temperature on a rolling road run. This is not compensated for within the rolling road software. Some ECU's have there own internal compensations to adjust boost pressure in relation to atmospheric pressure and temperature. This also is not considered in the rolling road din correction factor.
agree entirely, that is why we can control the temperature and relative humidity in our test cell between 0 and 50 Degrees C.

this test facility is available for hire, at a cost of 3500 Euro per day. unfortunately, the dyno's are only rated to 250 BHP each, which is easily enough for what we do (air conditioning testing). if there would be enough demand to use the test facility for mapping or power runs, we would look at uprating them.
Old 15-12-2005, 09:12 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

i cant believe your using a 200kw fan
Old 15-12-2005, 09:34 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

That is SOME fan
Old 15-12-2005, 09:42 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

i would bloody hate too be paying the electricity bill
Old 15-12-2005, 09:45 AM
Redeye Jedi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yer thats a flocking massive fan!! I sell large industrial centrifugal fans all day long and very rarely get enquiries for anything as large as that!!! What was the design duty (Airflow @ Pressure) for the fan??
Old 15-12-2005, 09:50 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NeilFromNorfolkNoCar
Yer thats a flocking massive fan!! I sell large industrial centrifugal fans all day long and very rarely get enquiries for anything as large as that!!! What was the design duty (Airflow @ Pressure) for the fan??
Neil, we have to talk Fans with you VERY soon. So, be ready for that one!!

Maybe one like that is what we need??
Old 15-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Redeye Jedi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
Neil, we have to talk Fans with you VERY soon. So, be ready for that one!!

Maybe one like that is what we need??
Yes Yes!! Im keen to know what the design duty for that one was....
Old 15-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by GARETH T
At 200 Kw that fan would cost just short of £25 an hour to run. Thats alot of juice.

Maybe you could do midnight mapping sessions to take advantage of economy 7!
Old 15-12-2005, 12:08 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Garage19
Originally Posted by GARETH T
At 200 Kw that fan would cost just short of £25 an hour to run. Thats alot of juice.

Maybe you could do midnight mapping sessions to take advantage of economy 7!

i was going too work out running costs,, but i dont know standard unit prices
Old 15-12-2005, 03:22 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

sorry mate, no idea. it's been here 15 years. all i know is that it's rated to only 110 kph over that nozzle size (1.22m high x 2.13m wide), but the motor is only running at about 30Hz from the inverter at that speed. so there's plenty more to go from the motor, but i suspect the fan will break up with the centrifugal forces.