General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

any doormen on the board?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 02:23 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default any doormen on the board?

just got the forms for the doorsafe licence, wondered how hard it was and whats involved?

hopefully will be working the doors in weston before feb!

whats the typical wage these days?
Old 10-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Snowy_Astra
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any doormen on the board?
Probably why you aint got no replies, they are all on the doors, not the boards

sorry, i am bored
Old 10-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Cowboi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i think the wages are pretty good. my mate used to do it up london before i meet him.
i'll ask him next time i see him
Old 10-12-2005, 02:34 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

harr harrrr
Old 10-12-2005, 02:49 PM
SHITBOX
PassionFord Regular

Test is a piece of piss , and a complete waste of time , cost about £110 , then you have to apply for the licence which involves a criminal record check and costs about £190 and is non refundable so if you have a record dont waste your money
Old 10-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Snowy_Astra
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by SHITBOX
Test is a piece of piss , and a complete waste of time , cost about £110 , then you have to apply for the licence which involves a criminal record check and costs about £190 and is non refundable so if you have a record dont waste your money

Surely they require you to have a record for GBH no? surprises me how some bouncers/doormen even get the job the way they act
Old 10-12-2005, 03:16 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

no crim record luckily

the course is £85, didnt realise you have to apply for the licence after that! thought you got it there and then!

Trending Topics

Old 10-12-2005, 03:25 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

the wages arnt clever average from 60 to 100 for average club door considering that most wonabe hardcase come back with there mothers butter knife to stab ya after being thrown out , and if deal with it its you that ends up in a cell.

bring back the old days when u could have a word with the biggest threat from the village idiot and word would stop the rest lmao

cheers jay
Old 10-12-2005, 03:44 PM
bigal1978
PassionFord Post Troll

down in exeter sum work for as little as 5 phr

but if ur good then that goes up to 10-15 phr

i no longer do it due to this
for the licence which involves a criminal record check and costs about £190 and is non refundable so if you have a record dont waste your money

im not wasteing my money

its a very good stress reliving job imo u get in free to any other club on nights of and we r lucky down here as very little chance of getting stabbed shot ect

oh and free beer end of the night

good luck in wot u do try get in a pub first its alot easyer as the all leave u to go and kick off at the club

there is a web site sum where

i worked the doors for 4 years sum times 6 nights a week then 1 year as a under cover doormen ,glasscollector, when the new law came in
Old 10-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

same here i couldnt get licenced either lol

cheers jay
Old 10-12-2005, 04:23 PM
aduz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the criminal record check cant be up to much as half the doormen in manchester have got rap sheets the length of ur arm
Old 10-12-2005, 04:35 PM
playa

£10 a hour for me mate working a luminar liquid venue
all good luv the job best job ive ever had
Old 10-12-2005, 04:36 PM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

speak to Benn.. he's done this work recently I think....

From what I remember though.. pay was about £10 p/h with decent firms
Old 10-12-2005, 04:45 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cool lads, really wanna get into it now. my mums not to upfor the idea though i live in weston super mare though which is pretty quiet and never really alot of drama, so will be alright from that point of view!

£190 for the record checks gonna be a bit of a bastard :blub:

anyone got any words of wisdom, do's and dont's if you know what i mean?
Old 10-12-2005, 04:52 PM
XR-RS
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Stu. my mates a doorman and hes nailing birds left right and centre. obviously theyre complete slags but its the being on the door that does it, even an ugly coont like you will get laid

just try not to strut round like youre the hardest thing on the planet after a week on the door, be decent to people and dont start wearing your trousers pulled up to just below your nipples

ive known of some that have turned into complete tossers overnight, (not all doormen mind) and had a doorman mate that was a big lad but he found out that no matter how many jabs you have in the arse cheek it still only takes some ten stone nutcase with a group of mates with knives and hammers to ruin your life.

Dont let it go to your head
Old 10-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Hooligan
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

The main thing is to be polite and friendly and to be able to diffuse the situation...being a doorman is NOT about being a bully and beating up folk but about giving the punters a sense of security by carefully monitoring who's coming in and going out, what the atmosphere is like and so on.

If someone is a pain in the arse try to persuade them with words and if they still won't comply there's LOADS of dirty tricks to make someone comply
Punching someone on the nose is only gonna fuel the fire and it's not very effective so learn some techniques that don't look very violent and are very effective.

By the way, drunk people are cool to fight with because they're slow and unstable and their brain needs much more oxygen to be efficient so they're fun to play with, people that have been snorting are not as much fun, having to knock 'em down 10 times in a row and they still won't give up sometimes!
Old 10-12-2005, 04:56 PM
XR-RS

By the way, drunk people are cool to fight with because they're slow and unstable and their brain needs much more oxygen to be efficient so they're fun to play with, people that have been snorting are not as much fun, having to knock 'em down 10 times in a row and they still won't give up sometimes!
pmsl you just explained better what i was trying to say.

also stu one more good bit of advice.................

dye your hair you ginger goon
Old 10-12-2005, 05:02 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

PMSL fuck off you geordie wanker ill shave it off

yeah the bloke i work with was saying alot of his mates who have been doormen turned into tossers, dont plan on going that way! and i know im not mike tyson and generally dont act like it! no point acting hard, especially when youre my size because it just makes people wanna have a pop even more ive noticed.

i know alot of the fit birds in weston so should be brill on a saturday night
Old 10-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Hooligan

Thing is: how do you react when things start to go wrong?
It's all good and well to know the correct answer on a piece of paper but how will you react in real life?

Breaking up fights and such demands selfcontrol and confidence mate...
Old 10-12-2005, 05:28 PM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Diesel dog who goes on here does doorwork, body guarding, etc ..he has about 60 people working for him. Pays well but very unsociable hours ..I'd prefer to be having a good time instead of watching others do it
Old 10-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

I've been a doorman for over 10 years, pm me any questions you have mate & i'll try & help you out all i can.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Benn 304R
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by DaveEscos
speak to Benn.. he's done this work recently I think....

From what I remember though.. pay was about £10 p/h with decent firms

Gave that up ages ago Dave, wasnt for me tbh

Im not the fighting type tbh lol, and the people I worked with would rather fight then try and get them out without any trouble.

Plus money was pretty shit, I was on £50 a night (pub door).

But the test is very very easy

Think its differant now and more expensive as the laws have changed recently as far as im aware.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:33 PM
gus
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yeah i use to get 50 sheets a night many moons ago

no test needed back then thou
Old 10-12-2005, 08:00 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

the police check only goes back 5years cos my uncle has a licence and he done 8 months in winston green for gbh 10 year ago lmao

jay
Old 11-12-2005, 01:43 AM
Gee

Idid the Test bout two years ago was working a private club,just me on door members only,anyway back to the test very easy,just alot of common sense issues,not at all difficult
Old 11-12-2005, 02:39 AM
skylineglen
Virgin

yep i do the doors in manchester as said the test is a piece of piss for instance one of the video questions is a woman is found with drugs and she drops her purse on the counter what is the most dangerous item that falls out her purse that you should be most wary of is it a) the packet of tissues b) the lipstick or c)the sharpened comb she is holding towards you its a piece of piss really. the doors is a great job im on like 18 quid an hour but you cant be scared to get into a fight and if your scared of gettin a dig forget it as the other doormen if you run away will probably crack you themselves as some dick that had done the job a week did with me last week the streak of piss was giving it the big i am taking the piss out of the punters and generally being an arse a fight broke out with a few lads and he ran and left me to deal with 5 lads with bottles on me own so he got leathered for that. its a sound job really enjoyable and a good laugh and generally good people just dont turn into a cock as a few have done and youll be fine and dandy

ps. the birds fucking love doormen matey
Old 11-12-2005, 03:31 AM
playa

cant really say as much as the guys bin doing it ages but maybe help in ur first few months
i bin doing it 6 months i love the job love the times i get there and everyone will know you when u walk around town wateva
it is true after doing the job u wont be able to relax in somewhere u have worked or work or maybe at all in a pub/club envirorment
i do find i cant enjoy myself while out mainly for myself i dont want to fight and loose my badge loose my respect etc etc
just keep a cool head always think about the kicking yes you will get it eventually 6 months ive never had a kicking good and proper but ive always gone in work or stud there thinking ill take on the biggest guy in the fight one for myself and one to know that the next guy i can have a better go etc etc
keep it real becareful with birds and basically enjoy urself and get as much free beer of the management of the venue as u can
Old 12-12-2005, 09:35 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cheers for the advice guys!

as a couple of people have mentioned it, im not scared of getting a kicking, obviously its not top of my christmas list but ive had plenty before now so a slap in the chops isnt anything to worry about!

ive been told today though that the minimum age for working the door is now 21? this true? im only 19 so but a cunt if it is!!
Old 12-12-2005, 09:37 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ
I've been a doorman for over 10 years, pm me any questions you have mate & i'll try & help you out all i can.
AJ RULED this door

( Sorry mate, couldnt resist )

Old 12-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Clare
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Some very good friends of mine work the doors, and another couple recently took the course you are talking about.

Passing the course is the easy part really, it teaches you techniques as well as finding out if you have what it takes to difuse situations without resorting to violence.

My mate Pat took the course and passed 2 months ago, he is still waiting for his licence to arrive, and you cannot start work until it does.

The current rate of pay in this and surrounding areas isnt as good as it used to be, because clubs cannot get away with paying cash in hand anymore, most doors are subcontracted thru agencies rather than being in-house now, and they pay between £8 - £10 per hour.

Depending on what type of place you want to work, depends if this is good money to you or not, in the right club its a nice easy nights work with very little trouble. In a rowdy club the risk of being shot or stabbed just isnt worth getting out of bed for - not to mention the amount of times you can be had up in court and threatened with a prison scentence just for protecting yourself and others.

NB: Many of the doorman I know are actively seeking alternative work now, to get out of doorwork as it just isnt worth the risk to them anymore, however the ones I know who only do 1 or 2 nights a week for extra cash at a reasonably tame club love it!
Old 12-12-2005, 09:54 PM
dexterc

Pretty sure the minimum age is 18. I know a lot of under 21's, including myself, that are licenced.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Clare
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Must admit, I dont know anyone under 21 working the doors.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:01 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Tiff you cooont
Old 12-12-2005, 10:06 PM
dexterc

Ive actually still got all my application stuff. Ill look it out and report back tomorrow. I think the reason you dont see many 18 year olds working is because people dont want 18 year old kids on doors.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:09 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by aduz
the criminal record check cant be up to much as half the doormen in manchester have got rap sheets the length of ur arm
And alot of good doormen are out of work because of these checks.

I gave it a go a few years back in Oldham when money was tight, it wasnt for me as i knew a fair few idiots to begin with so the job could have affected my personal life,
But me an a mate had a good screw out of the entrance fee,
He told the little runt in the office to keep his stubs and my mate would lose them, Pete (my mate) was counting how many were in and missing a few off, so some nights there were like 1000 people actually rammed in the building, with like 200 on the counter leaving me and Pete with a pocketful of notes,
Awesome earner
Old 13-12-2005, 08:11 AM
John Laverick
PassionFord Post Troll

I worked the doors in Bristol for a couple of years.........

In some quite dodgy places:

Kickers
Fire Station
Bristol Academy [on the Tim Westwood nights etc...]

etc...etc....

Had a wicked time.....pulled lots of birds.....had a couple of tussles......met LOADS of mates and had a very good social life.

BEST job I've ever had tbh.

I have heard some bad reports about Weston though!! Maybe not as quiet as you may like!!
Old 13-12-2005, 08:13 AM
John Laverick
PassionFord Post Troll

Oh and I'm starting again after Christmas....£11 an hour which isn't too bad.

Old 13-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Mate of mine was working the door from a few days after his 18th birthday, but that was a few years ago, so it might have changed since.
Old 14-12-2005, 08:51 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by John Laverick
I have heard some bad reports about Weston though!! Maybe not as quiet as you may like!!
nah it is mate, used to go out alot in weston until a couple of months ago (moved a bit to far away for a taxi every night!) and it really is quite safe. bank holidays and football weekends in wales are the only times it gets lairy. only ever been bottled in the face once, and had a couple of fights, all on bank holidays!

Quick Reply: any doormen on the board?