General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

SYNTHETIC MYTHS

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 10:32 AM
oilman
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default SYNTHETIC MYTHS

I read so much stuff on the internet about Synthetic Oils that is simply not true so I felt it was time to tell the truth rather than accept the myth.

So in future when you see someone state any of these, please do me a favour and point them at this thread!

Synthetic motor oils damage seals:

Complete Nonsense! Any oil seals made after 1975 or thereabouts will be entirely compatible with any type of synthetic engine oil. (The same goes for synthetic gear oils and transmission oil seals.) It must be understood that everything associated with lubrication is thoroughly tested. The major oil manufacturers do not make oils that attack seals; seal manufacturers ensure that their products function correctly with modern lubricants.

Synthetic oils are too thin:

It is true that the best synthetic blends can be low viscosity (0w-20 for example), but they do not have to be! It is also true that the latest engines are designed to run on thin oil, which improves power output and fuel consumption. Even so, thicker synthetic based grades (10w-50, 15w-50, 20w-50etc) are available for air-cooled motors, older engines, or severe high temperature conditions. These grades can also benefit rebuilt classic engines dating back to the 1940s.

Synthetics mean higher oil usage:

The complete opposite of the truth. Oil consumption in well-maintained modern engines is mainly down to the oil evaporating at high temperatures. Synthetic base oils (specially the PAO and ester types) are very resistant to evaporation loss even in low viscosity blends, so oil consumption is minimised. Obviously, engines with worn valve guides, defective seals and worn piston rings will use oil regardless, so there is no point in using expensive synthetics as an ‘old banger lube’.

Synthetic oils are not compatible with other oils:

All engine oils intended for normal road use in recent 4-stroke engines are compatible with one another, regardless of the base make-up. (mineral, PAO/ester/hydrocracked synthetic, and semi-synthetic.) There is no need to flush or strip down an engine when changing from one type to another. (…but be careful with the exception: castor oil based racing oils.)

Synthetic oils produce sludge:

Well honestly, this is just totally daft. All synthetic bases are more resistant to oxidation than mineral oil, and sludge is largely due to oxidation. In any case, all motor oils intended for road use meet the higher API specs such as SH, SJ, SL and diesel equivalents. One of the main reasons for introducing the API specs back in the 1950s was to deal with oil sludge problems. All high-spec oils run very clean, especially synthetics.

Synthetic oils cannot be used with catalytic converters:

‘Cats’ will perform more efficiently and last longer if synthetic based engine oil is used. Their lower volatility (see 3 above) means that less oil reaches the combustion chambers via crankcase ventilation, so there are less harmful ash residues from burnt oil to de-activate the catalyst matrix.

Synthetic oils can void warranties:

People who make statements such as this never define the type of synthetic, thus revealing their ignorance. Provided that an oil meets or exceeds the API and viscosity ranges specified in the handbook, the warranty will not be affected. (By law, OEMs cannot insist that a particular brand of oil must be used to maintain warranty.)

Synthetic oils will last forever:

The better synthetic blends will certainly last longer*, especially in high performance or high annual mileage situations, but ‘forever’ is not on, simply because contaminants such as soot, and acid gasses from traces of sulphur in the fuel degrade the oil.
(*Provided that a very shear resistant VI improver polymer is used in the oil formulation to keep the viscosity up to spec. This point is often forgotten.

Synthetic oils are too expensive:

True, for older vehicles that use a lot of oil or are almost ready for the scrap yard. For cars that are worth maintaining, the right types of synthetic oil are a cost-effective way of retaining ‘as new’ performance, low fuel consumption, and reducing maintenance costs. (See 6 above, for example. ‘Cats’ aren’t cheap!)

Cheers
Simon
Old 01-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Diablo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very useful. Thanks
Old 01-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Stealth Bomber
PassionFord Post Troll

Old 01-12-2005, 10:45 AM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Old 08-12-2005, 02:08 PM
oilman

Cheers
Simon
Old 08-12-2005, 02:32 PM
rscozzysie
PassionFord Regular

Old 08-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you just copy and paste all of your posts

or do you have a function on you pc that spams all the web sites

ive never seen anyone who comes on here soley selling with the same line all the time

we get the hint, castol RS is shiote even though we have been using it for years with no problems

hydrocracked oils are crap too and dangerous even though no bodys engine failure as been on that one fact due to constant and regular oil changes

am i the only one who can see this
Old 08-12-2005, 03:41 PM
oilman

It is not a copy and paste, I wrote it

With 20000+ posts you must be busier than me

Cheers
Simon
Old 08-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Can you do us a thread on Gearbox oils please?

Ginge.
He is a authorised Trader on various sitesm and does do special deals for the various users.

Lots of people are ignorant about Oil and what makes a agood one as opposed to a bad one. People tend to just buy Mobil or Castrol, because its all Halfords sell.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:00 PM
oilman

I'm preparing something on Gear Oils / ATF's / MTF's at the moment, will post it as soon as its finished.

Cheers
Simon
Old 08-12-2005, 04:35 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

yeah but arnt we just doing the same thing and buying opies oil as he sells it and hes tells the truth about oils

what about using semi synth oil in a cossie, how many people use that and save cash but regulaly service there cars

what actual PROOF have we been show or how many engines have fails due to wrong oil

how many roge tuners use it as a excuse to not pay the turbo waranty

seriously im asking as for years people have used mobile and had no problems, the oil hes seling aint that much cheeper and when you add the postage you pay the same or even more as what you can when you drive to halfords and pick up same day

stop listening to the hype and get brain washed, hes just selling on here and acting the friend with pro knowlege

this is ment to be a site for members with no bull shite spoke, all hes doing is giving doubt and in return people buy his products and he give the "celebs" it for deals

what acutal prrof have you got on a erst engine or a cossie engine that its actually BETTER

its alittle like martin hadland selling inline turbo prefilters and constantly posting about the "myths" of what happens with em and with out

truth of the matter i donw know of anyone whos engine fails for using mobil and that was the choice for how many years

i wanna know of the real cheaper alternatives to using mobil 1 that i actually notice that i can use and change every 3k, not save 5 quid and pay 8 quids postage to join the other sheep

hell madrod changed his oil so it must me good yeah,,,,,, not cause hes been given it FOC by opie

name a memeber whos engine failed using mobil 1
Old 08-12-2005, 04:37 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

btw he also sells denso plugs too,,,,,, even though 071 plugs are the best option, hes not preacing that when hes selling is he , just that they must be better as there more

im all for selling info, im not one for ramming it down our throats with scare mongering

maybe its just me
Old 08-12-2005, 04:50 PM
oilman

I think you missed the point, I sell Mobil1 and it's a good oil, never said otherwise because it is.

The post above is about synthetic myths, this could apply to Mobil1, Castrol, Silkolene or whatever, it just explains why some of the rubbish spouted about synthetic oils is untrue.

As for why oils I recommend are better, it's down to chemistry/makeup and quality basestocks..................if you want proof that they are any good, why not ask the people here that use them? Surely they are the best people to judge

Besides, where have I said that your engine will fail if you don't use synthetics.................I haven't!

What I have said is that they give better protection.

Cheers
Simon
Old 08-12-2005, 04:52 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Are you a saleman or a engineer?

Alex
Old 08-12-2005, 04:59 PM
townie9371
Part of the Furniture

give oilman some credit here,his oil is very cheap compared to shop prices.castrol RS 10 60 in my local motorsport shop is £37 for 4 litres,that is £9.25 per litre.
i took advantage of his november offer and got 20 litres of silkolene pro s 10 50 for £117 inc postage which is £5.85 per litre.
better oil for less money
ok he is a trader i know that,but i shopped around and found his prices the cheapest around.
thanks simon for the speedy delivery also.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:59 PM
oilman

Oh come on, what do you think?

Have you looked at my website?

I sell oil but I also advise on oil and have many years of experience. Yes I take it very seriously, a good salesman knows his products and the competitions and before you ask, I own the Company.

Cheers
Simon
Old 08-12-2005, 05:36 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Not looked at it no....

I've had no need to.

It just seems you regurgate your sales brouchures all over the internet on many many sites I go on.

Alex
Old 08-12-2005, 09:11 PM
oilman

Yes I deal with more than 160 clubs and forums for just about every marque of car.

You are likely to see my stuff if you visit more than 1 forum but why shouldn't those who don't freqent more than one forum have the benefit of what we offer?

Our club base grows weekly by invitation.

Cheers
Simon
Old 08-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Give the chap a break... Simon and Guy giving info about Lubrication is no different to me giving info about engine tuning. Are you all saying i should stop doing that too?

As for oils and education.. i used to stock Castrol Rs. I now stock Silkolene Pro S.

Reason.... nah... i dont want shooting down for telling you WHY i stopped using Rs after much personal testing!!
Old 08-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Greg Shepherd
Chasing Radders

cheers simon some questions answered there
Old 08-12-2005, 09:36 PM
S1 Lee
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

whats wrong with free advice??

if you don't like it don't read it.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Fooking hell Bal....how can you give anyone greif over a post
Old 09-12-2005, 07:55 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by J871yhk
Not looked at it no....

I've had no need to.

It just seems you regurgate your sales brouchures all over the internet on many many sites I go on.

Alex
THAT was my sole point

as for saying you bought castrol RS for 37 quid THEN bought ANOTHER oil for SLIGHTLY less money

thats like saying you went in burger king and then went to McDonalds and found a different product cheeper

its not about me giving him a hard time, its about the 1 sided veiws based on peoples ignorance as already said

does any race team use your oils BY CHOICE

HAVE YOU any proof that the oil you recomend IS BETTER than mobil1, have you any proof that its worse, what testing have you ACTUALLY DONE on cvh engines, zetec engines or cosworth engines to come to this conclusion

what other oils out there that you DONT sell that are fine for cosworth engines, never hear about them

never heard about no fully synth being fine for a generally standard engine like a stage 3 cossie ( as most people got tbh)

im if it sounds like im having a pop but it just seems your a traveling salesman who visits sites recomending a oil thats BETTER in design and not many people sell in the shops claiming new fuel economy, better engine live ect but ive never heard of a oil being the most likly cause of engines unhealth

the argument about too thik a oil like castrol 10/60, well that made perfect sence to me, the great oil presure it done also made sence too being its thicker

just the constant repeated posts are what make me wonder as ive seen you share you knowlege with others selling the same product too

when i forst read this i was asounded and i was about to panic buy some silklene pro to help my poor mistreated engine till the postage made it more than what ive been using from my local motor factors

hence why i asked, sure others have too but just affraid and the other sheep just do what there told generally

as i said, no offence but it was the sudden change by rod with no real explanation then the reason that made me rethink
Old 09-12-2005, 07:57 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
Fooking hell Bal....how can you give anyone greif over a post
lee someone post on you site selling you different brick that are notthat popular a choice but sells it as being better but a tiny bit less with claims of extra heat insulation or what ever and then goes to all the others claiming the same but offers the brick to big companys free what does that in naturaly make you assume

he to me sounds like a salesman offering a new product with fear of killing there car if not indirectly
Old 09-12-2005, 08:17 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Rich_w

Ginge.
He is a authorised Trader on various sitesm and does do special deals for the various users.

Lots of people are ignorant about Oil and what makes a agood one as opposed to a bad one. People tend to just buy Mobil or Castrol, because its all Halfords sell.

Thanks Oilman.

It was an informative post and I learnt something from it so shut up Ginge.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:37 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ginge mate. Give Simon a break. We know his feelings towards Castrol RS and that Silkolene Pro S is a better product as Stu and Sheady have also discovered.

I dont think he is scare mongering, he is just trying to help us look after our expensive cossie engines. If you want to use Mobil 1 or Castrol then do so, i very much doubt your engine will fail just because you use that particular oil.

I used to use Castrol RS but did an oil change to go to le mans this year and put in silkolene. I havent noticed any difference TBH but then what difference was i expecting? Not a lot. Its an oil. Same as i wouldnt expect any noticeable diffenrence between optimax and BP Ulitmate.
It does the same job as Castrol Rs but the experts out there say it does it better.

If Silkolene is good enough for a monster engine like Rods and seeing as Mark looks after my engine if thats what he says is the best then so be it, and seeing as Shead is also backed up by Stu saying its better than Castrol Rs then thats good enough.

Surely you want the best lubricant for your engine Ginge?

Very good write up oil man
Old 09-12-2005, 08:47 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

[quote="Stu @ M Developments"]Give the chap a break... Simon and Guy giving info about Lubrication is no different to me giving info about engine tuning. Are you all saying i should stop doing that too?
[quote]

Not at all my friend....

I wouldn't expect Simon to either.

I'm just questioning the information, as I would with any source! Luckily we can do this on this forum without being shot down for it.

Oil is a SERIOUSLY complex subject and one that with a little information it is very very easy to make one product sound better than the other. Particualr to people that have little or no idea what is even in oil let alone the range of jobs it does!

To to the crunch. Stu's adivce is given freely with little or no sales pitch behind it. Oilman's is advice and info given with a strong bias to the products they sell.

Of course that is his perogative as a business man

Its also mine to ask questions

Alex

"Once you have learned how to ask relevant and appropriate questions, you have learned how to learn and no one can keep you from learning whatever you want or need to know."
Neil Postman and Charles Weingartner, Teaching as a Subversive Activity
Old 09-12-2005, 08:50 AM
ON-UJAH
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I just purchased 60l of fully synthetic 0W-40 with VI enhancers, for 135 quid delivered.

But then I don't live in rip-off Britain any more.

Here's the specs:

API: SJ/CF, ACEA A3-98, B3/98. Erfüllt BMW, MB 229.1, Porsche, VW 502.00 and 505.00
Visc. Index: 175
Pourpoint: -50
Flame point: 215
100deg: 14.3 mm2/s
40deg: 85 mm2/s
-35deg: <6200 mPas

Old 09-12-2005, 08:50 AM
oilman

Lets get one thing straight, it's you car at the end of the day so you put in it what you like.

The reason why I post here (apart from selling 6 brands of quality oils) is to give people an informed choice as I always believe it's better to know the facts than believe Oil Companies Marketing Hype.

If you don't like my posts don't read them!

And yes, ALL the 6 brands of oil I sell are used by race teams, that's why I sell them, they are quality!

I have over 300 different products on the shelf and I know them all intimately, that's better than any salesman you'll find across a counter!

Cheers
Simon
Old 09-12-2005, 09:08 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Porkie
Originally Posted by Rich_w

Ginge.

Thanks Oilman.

It was an informative post and I learnt something from it so shut up Ginge.
WHAT ???

you mean you never kearnt it the kast 3 times he posted it

rod uses it as its free, he openly admitted it too, that dont show confidence that shows that he steered towards it with a carrot and he then noticed its NO WORSE for his engine !!!!

I WANT PROOF THAT THERES A DIFFERENCE and hes not just selling a boost gauge made by stack nomand when a steve warner gauge is fine for is no different on a normal car

i dont understand where the shut it ginge comes from, im asking a valid question and im being told by people WHO PAY PEOPLE TO WORK ON THERE CARS that i should not ask for reason, his word should be taken as gospel

cossierich, you have hit the nail on the head and its a honest reply too and i appreciate that

theres not been ANY difference in the oil, it may be BETTER but its not as easy to get hold of so you need extra, oil actually breaks down and has a shelf life ( that im sure porkie knows that hence hes telling me to shut up)

how many people on here change there oil TOO much as in before its needed

HELL he recomended silkolene proS to stu@fordsport for his xr2 engine

HES SELLING PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT

he just sticks the posts up to gauge interest, why dont anyone welse see that

when has stu posted up about "Myths of most tuners" where he mentions when he sets up cars he does a full health check on the engine and tests for leaking fuel presure regs and also any leaks from the engine before taking ANY CAR out

not all tuners do this, then he posts a link to his website and hes great and VERY CHEAP labour charges

why cant oilman explain about gearbox oil, hes been asked alot of times

why does he sell denso plugs, whats the benifit for em and wheres hes knowlage from them come from

hes sales, fairplay for him doing it too, just for the love of god stop thinking what hes telling you YOU MUST FOLLOW OR YOUR ENGINE MAY FAIL

that hydrocracked oils are not good for a car

why cant anyone else see this
Old 09-12-2005, 09:11 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

[quote="J871yhk"][quote="Stu @ M Developments"]Give the chap a break... Simon and Guy giving info about Lubrication is no different to me giving info about engine tuning. Are you all saying i should stop doing that too?

Not at all my friend....

I wouldn't expect Simon to either.

I'm just questioning the information, as I would with any source! Luckily we can do this on this forum without being shot down for it.

Oil is a SERIOUSLY complex subject and one that with a little information it is very very easy to make one product sound better than the other. Particualr to people that have little or no idea what is even in oil let alone the range of jobs it does!

To to the crunch. Stu's adivce is given freely with little or no sales pitch behind it. Oilman's is advice and info given with a strong bias to the products they sell.

Of course that is his perogative as a business man

Its also mine to ask questions

Alex

"Once you have learned how to ask relevant and appropriate questions, you have learned how to learn and no one can keep you from learning whatever you want or need to know."
Neil Postman and Charles Weingartner, Teaching as a Subversive Activity
so you and me on this ENTIRE FORUM understand what this is about

thought it was just me then

glad its also you as then theres proof from a man who knows his mustard too and not just a ginger gimp being told to shut up by the well knowlage peeps who follow what they are sol,,,,,,,,,,,,, sorry told
Old 09-12-2005, 09:52 AM
oilman

I think you need to get your facts right when talking about other people on this forum.

For the RECORD!

Rod approached me, not for sponsorship but for a supply of Silkolene PRO for his car.

The reason for this was because Mark and Keith Cowie suggested that he should use it. Yes I supply Keith as well and once again he uses the oil because it is recommended by his engine builder.

So, why did I sponsor Rod and indeed Keith?

I am very interested in their cars and their awesome achievements and of course wish to be associated with them and assist them in any way that I can to push the boundaries of what's possible further.

Added to this, I can provide a full back up oil analysis service for them to detect and oil and engine problems before they occur!

You've made you point, I'm here to stay (I pay for the privaledge) and what's more I'm here to help those that want advice.

Finally I have never said that your engine will blow up if you don't use a synthetic oil as it's just no true. What I have said is that highly modified or track cars have different oil requirements as they require higher levels of protection..............which incidentally is also fact!

Cheers
Simon
Old 09-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

simon i dont have an issue withm you at all, just i find the posts alittle like going to the pub drinking stella and a rep tells me to that corona is a better beer due to how its made ect and will help on a large piss up with health when the pub closes at 9pm

again no offence and i dont have a issue, just dont feel that you are genuinly sharing knowlege rather that selling thats all
Old 09-12-2005, 10:35 AM
oilman

If I wasn't genuinely sharing knowledge, I would not bother taking the time to put it up here. I'm not obliged to

Cheers
Simon
Old 09-12-2005, 11:42 AM
Stealth Bomber
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by b19bal
seriously im asking as for years people have used mobile and had no problems, the oil hes seling aint that much cheeper and when you add the postage you pay the same or even more as what you can when you drive to halfords and pick up same day
I disagree with that.

Halfrauds charge £37 for 4 litres of Mobil 1. Last time I bought from Opie it was £40 for 5 litres delivered.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:59 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by oilman
If I wasn't genuinely sharing knowledge, I would not bother taking the time to put it up here. I'm not obliged to

Cheers
Simon

Good

As I said, I've only ever questioned!

Alex
Old 09-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

and the cash you saved is >>>>>

i genuinly aint got a issue with him, just questioned the 1 sided storey thats all, not saying he dont know his products, saying he might know know the engines hes selling em too
Old 09-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah but arnt we just doing the same thing and buying opies oil as he sells it and hes tells the truth about oils

what about using semi synth oil in a cossie, how many people use that and save cash but regulaly service there cars

what actual PROOF have we been show or how many engines have fails due to wrong oil

how many roge tuners use it as a excuse to not pay the turbo waranty

stop listening to the hype and get brain washed, hes just selling on here and acting the friend with pro knowlege

this is ment to be a site for members with no bull shite spoke, all hes doing is giving doubt and in return people buy his products and he give the "celebs" it for deals

what acutal prrof have you got on a erst engine or a cossie engine that its actually BETTER

its alittle like martin hadland selling inline turbo prefilters and constantly posting about the "myths" of what happens with em and with out

truth of the matter i donw know of anyone whos engine fails for using mobil and that was the choice for how many years

i wanna know of the real cheaper alternatives to using mobil 1 that i actually notice that i can use and change every 3k, not save 5 quid and pay 8 quids postage to join the other sheep

hell madrod changed his oil so it must me good yeah,,,,,, not cause hes been given it FOC by opie

name a memeber whos engine failed using mobil 1
You only get anything free if you have proved it works. Castrol could supply me all they like but i would not now use it.
Have your oil checked Chemically then you would understand a bit more of what he is trying to say. Believe me you would re-consider, it was an eye opener. After 3 Topspeed runs RS had 'had it' & in time would have damaged my engine no doubts. Silkolene was still with in limits & showed no particles from engine, after the same test, ie. It worked, however it did have too much fuel in the oil which aint good & oilman suggested an altenative thinner oil because of the stress my engine is under. Turn a blind eye if you like but like Brunters, Chemical tests dont lie could extend your engine life no doubts about it.
Rod

ps. Mike R & Porkie also use it . Dont think they got any incentives. ( I may be wrong)
Old 09-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

and the cash you saved is >>>>>

i genuinly aint got a issue with him, just questioned the 1 sided storey thats all, not saying he dont know his products, saying he might know know the engines hes selling em too

Fundamentally all Oils will (given the right weighting) will lubricate your engine. The cheapest nastiest oil from Tesco's will be fine in a 1.1 OHV Fiesta.

But even you in your ignorance, must accept that manufacturers make lots of different oils for lots of different applications. And that given many people on here have engines approaching race levels of prep and cost in them. Then it makes sense to put the best oil a) for your specific need and b) you can afford in to it.

Once this becomes the case, Oil has to work under more extreme working conditions and THATS what you pay for. Not the basic lubrication part, but the ability to reduce friction (gains power) and maintain lubrication qualities when running at high speeds for prolonged periods.

I see your point that hes ultimately a salesman. But unlike the kids in Halfords (and I don't forget that you used to work for these Idiots) he actually KNOWS his products.

I can't imagine Mark, Stu, Tony or Martin giving detailed advice on work they carry out and how it compares to each other.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by MADRod

ps. Mike R & Porkie also use it . Dont think they got any incentives. ( I may be wrong)
I do and I don't. In that order

Was very impressed with the speed and quality of Oilmans service as well. No gay jokes pls..

Not even bothered reading what Ginge is writing BUT from Oilmans post, I learnt that you can mix oils. I used to think you couldn't mix synthetic and mineral oil before reading oilmans post.

Quick Reply: SYNTHETIC MYTHS