General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

RWD TRACTION CONTROL AND SIDEWAYS MOMENTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Rossco
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ Pussy!!

Sounds about right, coz that advice came from Rainbird!!
Old 01-12-2005, 05:49 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

itsmeagain will you be at silverstone that sat? what is the exact date???

so its like a training day?? ill be well up for that.

would car pass mot with a welded diff?

carl
Old 01-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes i will mate, seriously need as much practice as poss.

Yup, just a practice day to get plenty of safe drifting time to get good (or to see how bad your car is at it without a decent diff!)

Be good to get some words from the instructors as well as from some of the other good drifters who are going.

Its Saturday 10th December, get there early as poss ideally, no later than 9.

Yup a welded diff will pass MOT no problems, infact if anything it helps as it makes rear brake balance identical between the left n right brake, youd pass with only 1 rear caliper working actually
Old 01-12-2005, 06:23 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Can't believe it's so cheap - well tempted to cancel what I'm doing and come there instead.

What's the format?
Old 01-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by RichardPON
Can't believe it's so cheap - well tempted to cancel what I'm doing and come there instead.
Dooo it PON and you carl

Whole day, well organised, people always come back for more.

For proper info email- info@driftuk.co.uk

And see both these links too...
http://driftworks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10876
http://shop.driftuk.co.uk/catalog/pr...?products_id=5
Old 01-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

A lot depends on the weight of the car as well, for instance my saff Cossie was light compared to my M3, now when I tried to knock out some shapes in the M Power it felt difficult to get it to go, all that was needed was a bit more throttle and it goes as easy as my saff did, as above though, its all about "tickling" the throttle, you keep ya foot on the go pedal and you will find ya self facing the wrong way..........and probably round a fuckin lamp post
Another thing too, dont be scared to fuck up, you need to keep pushing it, as said above"practice makes perfect"
The lad I bought my Cossie of had it down to a tee, and at the time I was thinking"I`ll never be able to do that", but you get used to ya car,you know how it`s gonna react when you do something, now I can be driving in a straight line and if the road is wide enough I can almost get it on full lock, but again as said above knowing when to correct the steering is crucial if you want to avoid oncoming traffic and brick walls etc.
I`ll try n explain it........
If you kick the back end out to the right as it goes you will pull down on the RIGHT HAND SIDE of the steering wheel to get the slide, now(KEY PART) when you ease off the accelerator you need to slide the steering wheel back to centre in suite with the back end of the car re-centreing itself,IF YOU DONT do that then the wheels will grip and ya steering wheel will be pointing you RIGHT still into on coming traffic.
One more thing I think was mentioned DONT PANIC MID SLIDE

Wow what an Essay, Im off for a cuppa, hope that helped
Old 01-12-2005, 07:04 PM
CasperR
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Some good reading Just bought a 525 bmw with the intent of getting some sideways action this winter... im just hoping for some snow now.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:20 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cheers for the advice MR brannen

itsmeagain will i be able to just turn up at silverstone and have a go? or will i need to pre book

10TH DEC IS ME BIRTHDAY might get some one to buy me ticket especially!!!

only prob me bmw dosent seem to want to drift in the dry its only works well in damp conditions... if its really dry is it worth me trying????

lastly my rear tyres are low surely this will finish em off????

what bout clutch will that get a hammering??

cheers

carl
Old 01-12-2005, 09:03 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Regarding booking etc etc, email the addy i gave on the above post or ask on that driftworks thread, as I know the organiser so I jus gonna turn up and go see him in the office, but think others may need to book another way.

Its never as easy to initiate a drift in the dry, but goin to things like this will teach you HOW.

Main thing you will learn, which will help you loads bearing in mind you not got much power, is that drifting is NOT about booting the throttle to start the car drifting, only use for throttle is to keep the momentum up, if you watch you never see proper drifters using the power to start it.

You wont be brilliant without a diff, but it will teach you a hell of a lot regardless of spec.

And TBH il put money on it being wet, its Dec10th FFS

If its dry it will cane your tyres yeah, most people take a few spare steelies and crap tyres to wang on the back to practice on.

Clutch might take a hammering if you get into kicking the clutch to initiate the drift, but you dont have to, though itd do you well i think bearing in mind the lack of power, and i cant see you properly ruining the clutch.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:18 AM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i might come along then, will have to swap front and rear tyres around and watch the clutch as it is low but sounds like ill have wicked time

carl