General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

mazaks rule

Search this Thread

Old 18-11-2005, 06:26 PM
cuvner
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mazaks rule

bn at mazak corp doing a programming course all week, there was a machine doing engine blocks complete and con-rods+pistons

Old 18-11-2005, 06:47 PM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

We have a Mazak FJV20 at work, very accurate machine tool but they are crippled by their half assed Mazatrol programming language

Unless you are some kind of a wierdo who enjoys ISO programming you have to use canned cycles to get anything done

Heidenhain as an operating system is 1000% better in every respect, full control of every single move, with parremetric programming you can make it do just about anything you could dream of including moving all the axis at the same time for thread machining, machining elipses ect.

Give Heidenhain a try, you will love it

Mark
Old 18-11-2005, 06:54 PM
cuvner
PassionFord Regular

my old machine was manual programming not fanuc but siemans 840c, bn on mazak lathes now 3months they got yaxis and subspindle+ driven tooling and once u get used to the canned cycles its pretty quick, never had experiance on the mazak mills though, bn on heidenhain, did really like that system using tags for writting contours and just bn able to recall them up later if needed for pitched holes ect!! horses for courses
Old 18-11-2005, 07:03 PM
THEYGOTMETOO
CUNT!

Location: BLUE PILL or RED PILL ... All I offer is the truth, nothing more, nothing less. You choose.

Mazak's are good machines although I have a personal preference to Haas, some people dislike Haas's but we also have some Mori Sieki's which are mega expensive and I would guarantee the Haas's we have are just as good if not better - they do all the Mori Sieki's do for a fraction of the price. Only IMO or course
Old 18-11-2005, 08:12 PM
AndyRST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Fuck me, was i the only person who didnt understand a single word in the previous 3 posts
Old 18-11-2005, 08:12 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

no
Old 18-11-2005, 08:28 PM
nigel b
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

mazak mills are low quality production machines(we use iso programming as mazatrol is limited for what we do)
mori seiki(and the now defunct hitachi seiki)are excellent for high quality aerospace that we do

the mazak training course is one long beer fest and they give you a top lunch everyday
Old 18-11-2005, 09:18 PM
cuvner
PassionFord Regular

v.true ive def put on weight had full english every morning and 3course lunch +pub dinner every nte for a working week!! Top factory though, really modern and up to0 scratch!! Can use the computers at lunch in the cafee too!! Would love to work in their machine shop on the 5xis twin spindle intergrex!!! hahaha theirs some gibberish for yaa
Old 18-11-2005, 10:09 PM
Keith B
Advanced PassionFord User

I thought they were talking about some arab splinter cells that they were joining with all this haas and mazak stuff - well either that or they were dyslectic !
Old 18-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I need a fookin few pints after reading that lot

U have a few of us confused now with that talk
Old 19-11-2005, 08:58 AM
Daryl Fletcher
Virgin

Completely agree with the comments on Heidenhein controls.
How on earth anybody can sell G-code/fanuc/iso/mazatrol controls is beyond me.
Heidenhein is only limited by your imagination. You get so many options with heid as standard compared to fanuc.
3D rotation and cycle 19 for multi axis machining is awesome.

Daryl F.
Old 19-11-2005, 11:26 AM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bud-weis
no
me too it gets worse as you read down the page

oh god i wish i was clever and gifted
Old 19-11-2005, 12:13 PM
nigel b
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Daryl Fletcher
Completely agree with the comments on Heidenhein controls.
How on earth anybody can sell G-code/fanuc/iso/mazatrol controls is beyond me.
Heidenhein is only limited by your imagination. You get so many options with heid as standard compared to fanuc.
3D rotation and cycle 19 for multi axis machining is awesome.

Daryl F.
point to point maching on large complex jobs as the machines cant read and process the code quick enough when they using fixed cycles
Old 19-11-2005, 12:26 PM
THEYGOTMETOO
CUNT!

Location: BLUE PILL or RED PILL ... All I offer is the truth, nothing more, nothing less. You choose.

me too it gets worse as you read down the page

oh god i wish i was clever and gifted
These are the types of machines which are being talked about:

http://www.haascnc.com/news/new_file...F-2%20Mold.wmv
http://www.haascnc.com/news/new_files/VMC/VF-2SS.wmv
http://www.haascnc.com/news/new_file...ker%20Mold.wmv

All the videos are streaming so you won't have to wait too long

They are also the same types of machines we use to make (amongst lots of other parts) billet throttle cable brackets:

Prototype bracket machined on small Prototyping mill (only weighs about 1 ton - way to small and slow for any production work):

Beleive it or not, they're actually pretty simple machines Some of the stupidist people I know use them eveyday lol
Old 19-11-2005, 12:32 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Genesis Engineering

What a waste of material for an item that doesn't need the strength of billet.

Why not weld three small pieces of ally together

and no, I don't know wtf they're talking about either
Old 19-11-2005, 12:45 PM
THEYGOTMETOO
CUNT!

Oddly enough I do loads of TiG welding on Aluminum so it wouldn't be a problem to do at all but they are done in that way because they have more commercial value as being machined from a billet. Not only because people will pay more for something which is billet, I also don’t have to pay for someone to sit there and weld them together, labor is easily my biggest expense. Compared to setting up a machine which will do the job quicker, thousands of times more accurately, run totally unattended 24 hours a day (even when the workshop is unattended) and considering it very probably will do a better job I`ll go with the machining centre every time!

Also IMO they look better without any welding on them

The chips of Aluminum aren’t actually wasted: they are all compressed, drained off coolant and then every week a good few tones worth head down to the local recyclers. They are worth around Ł400 a ton so definitely don't want to waste them lol
Old 19-11-2005, 12:55 PM
slowpoke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

daddys of all machines are weingartners

i work on them but also that mazak right near the top also

matt
Old 19-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Beach
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Here at Rolls Royce we have lots of these machines aswell as i have to fix tha fooking things lol.

Mori sieki, Mazak, WFL Vorst Alpines and the older ones like BOKO's

Believe me all of them can be bastards to fix sometimes espicailly wirh the more modern machines.

Some of the most impressive machines and possibly the biggest are the Heylingenstadt which we use for machining both sides of the big compressor drums that we produce, one more big machine we have is the Laponite these things are about 90 tons !!

Very ironic this as im sat waiting for them to break downas we speak, so hopefully thgey wont break down !!

Do you do your own maintenance Genesis ??
Old 19-11-2005, 01:18 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Beach
Here at Rolls Royce we have lots of these machines aswell as i have to fix tha fooking things lol.
Which site do you work at?

My dad works on the test beds in Bristol.

Testing multi million pound engines till they go bang
Old 19-11-2005, 01:37 PM
Beach
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gurnE
Which site do you work at?

My dad works on the test beds in Bristol.

Testing multi million pound engines till they go bang
Funny that mate as so does my dad but in derby lol circa 6 million pounds a time for an engine lol !!

Its amazing what these engines can do when they test them with the dead chickens and ice cubes !!

I actually work at the derby sites
Old 20-11-2005, 12:54 AM
THEYGOTMETOO
CUNT!

Mori sieki, Mazak, WFL Vorst Alpines and the older ones like BOKO's

Very ironic this as im sat waiting for them to break downas we speak, so hopefully thgey wont break down !!

Do you do your own maintenance Genesis ??
Yup, unfortunately so lol, although all our machines which are out of manufacturers warranty are insured against break-down, considering how much a spindle motor can cost it's probably for the best

I recently bought a 2nd hand Haas VF-5, was messing around with it and it decided the spindle wouldn't orientate itself for the ATC - the spindle load meter just shot round to 180% load and the machine shut down each time. I took the next few hours removing lots of covers and guards to get to the lock pin (which according to the alerts screen, had apparently jammed) I tried orientating it one more time through the control panel - - the bloody thing only started to work properly Two hours of messing about for nothing