General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

MOT/DVLA and insurance changes

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005 | 10:17 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts
Default MOT/DVLA and insurance changes

Not sure if this has cropped up, as I dont always pop in here.
But I thought this needed to be brought to as many people as possible. Ive copied and pasted some to save typing.
The latter section regarding MOT and cars extensively modified is most worrying.
Have you modified the shell, or swapped engines/drivetrain/suspension from standard ?

There were new laws passed recently about insurance.

Surprised this hasnt come up. I thought I heard it on the news the other day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4295834.stm

Basically, if you own a car, or its registered in your name, it must be insured, or else you will be fined. The fact a car isnt on the road, and doesnt require 3rd party road risks as required by law, doesnt seem to have caught their attention.

Yet another law passed, to extort more money from motorists.

The government need to wise up. Motorists virtually fund the running of the entire country. Its about time they fought back. How is another matter.

But what this post is about. I'll copy and paste it from the Forum where I seen it.

Not sure if anybody here closely follows the current regulations and DVLA process, but there is a new juggernaut of legislation being processed as we speak that will in due course make it almost impossible to modify vehicles, swap engines, modify chassis/body shell etc, without going through some very tough re-registation processes. Of course, these very regulations have actually been in place for several years now, but the DVLA is starting to get real serious, and wants to basically close all the loopholes up pretty soon.

It's pretty heavy reading, but if you want to see exactly what they have planned have a look here. It's linked to the NSRA site but is on the main DVLA site if you can find it:

http://www.nsra.org.uk/downloads/Sum...ept%202005.pdf

The NSRA are in heavy discussion with DVLA to try and agree on some more lenient rules for 'proper' car modifiers, as most of the rules are supposedly being brought in to stop car thefts and 'ringing' of stolen cars. Sure looks like Big Brother just wants to stop a guy having fun though.

Basically speaking, no more chassis or bodyshell mods, no axle swapping. No re-engineering of old sports cars into modern, well handling, well performing rocket ships.

More information about the devious coniving that DVLA has been doing behind closed doors.

http://www.nsra.org.uk/legislation.htm
Old 02-10-2005 | 12:45 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what conditions are there that would mean you wouldn't have a vehicle declared SORN'd or be using it?? I don't really see how it can be a big deal... if it's not being used then SORN it.. or is there something I'm missing?
Old 02-10-2005 | 01:19 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Its all been discussed here:

https://passionford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146772

The problem is when you have a car taxed, not insured and not in use on the road and you swop insurance onto it occasionally to legally use it.

It cant be SORN, its taxed, but under the proposals you will get an automatic fine for having no insurance, even though the car is not on the road.

There will have to be a No insurance notification as an alternative to SORN, but that is not in the proposed law.

You will have to cash in the tax, declare SORN or you will get fined.

The rest of the proposals have been around for sometime, they will mean if it is Not as originally built, eg same spec but Not original engine or other major mods like improved spec engine, or convert to RWD from FWD it will have to have SVA and the REG No. will will be locked to the car, i.e NO transfers of Cherished numbers.
Old 02-10-2005 | 05:37 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

So whats involved with SVA testing ?? Are modifed cars ok with that ?

As for the insurance thing. Basic cover required by law is 3rd party road risks. If the car is not on the road, it cannot need this.

Are they now saying a parked up car, that may or may not be capable of driven, is seen as a risk to other road users ?

They are f**king mental
Old 02-10-2005 | 05:41 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

I wonder where WRC, and various rally cars will fit into this little looneybin scheme of theirs ??

Rally cars have to be road legal, and get driven between stages occasionally. DO their owners have insurance cover to be driven on the road at all times ??

What about their modifications ?

I wonder where the governments military vehicles would fit under this bill ?

They get driven on the roads, and arent anything stnadard.

What about the one of the PM's many many armoured cars. They have been drastically altered from standard, therfore should be illegal. They dont meet window tint laws, also making them illegal.