General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

PRIVATE PLATE QUESTIONS?

Search this Thread

Old 18-09-2005, 09:32 PM
C COS
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PRIVATE PLATE QUESTIONS?

I'm selling my cossie at the moment and wanna keep my private plate.

Basically, I wanna remove the plate off my Escos and put it onto my other motor. How do I go about doing this? Is it a matter of just filling in some forms , or can I go to the DVLA office and get it done there?

Also, how long does this process take?

Need to get this done before my Escos goes to the new owner and need to give him an estimation on how long he has to wait before he can pick it up. (if he does actually buy it)

Thanks in advance
Old 18-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Clare
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Can be done at a local VRO, except at the end of the month where they willpost it back to you.

Just need to take along a completed V317 Transfer of Cherished Reg number form, the £80 assignment fee, both vehicle V5s and MOTs and a photocopy of each vehicles Tax disk (doner vehicle doesnt have to be taxed but must have been in the last 6 months). If the recieving vehicle isnt taxed you will need to take along your insurance cert and the fee to tax it.
You will get all paperwork back there and then except the V5s whch will be sent back to Swansea and you will be issued new ones, this usually takes about 14 days but can take anything up to 2 months knowing DVLA.

HTH

Edit: Just saw your last part of question, although they take the main part of the V5 away, you do get given the New keeper supplement part back stamped with the new reg number for that vehicle. Using this part of the form you can sell the car on the basis that as soon as you get the V5 back you send it off to change the registered keeper. You can also tax a car using the New Keeper Supplement part of the V5.
Old 18-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ello mate
i was in same situation about a month ago and i left it late too! best done asap and by goin to a dvla office if possible. Fill in the form there and pay the fee. Its £80 i think if you are transferring the plate to another car you own and have all docs for. Its £105 if you havent got a car yet and that then includes a £25 fee so you get the plate on retention certificate and then you dont pay anything to put it on to your next car. You must take the v5, tax disc and MOT to the office where they will change yer MOT by stamping reg on to it. Then you have to wait for tax disc and v5 in post with new reg number which more than likely is original plate from the car. Only then do you put new reg on the car.

In the letter i received i was told not to sell my car until the new v5 came but it said it could take 8 weeks! i went back to dvla and they said i could sell it if i want by giving the new owner the wee tear off from the V5 that the new owner usually gets because dvla office give you that back.

Hope ive made sense there but any Q's just ask

chop
Old 18-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

clare
you must type too fast
Old 18-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Clare
PassionFord Post Whore!!

.................and im typing in the dark
Old 18-09-2005, 10:51 PM
C COS
PassionFord Regular

Many Thanks to Clare and Lambchop, appreciate the info and time to reply. (types with index fingers)

I'd better get on the case soon then, will pop down to Chelmsford to sort it out
Old 18-09-2005, 11:45 PM
SPADGE
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clare they no longer give you the mot's etc...there and then!
It will take a few days for these to be back to you and the V5's a bit longer.

Trending Topics

Old 19-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Clare
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Spadge, as I said above, it depends what time of the month you do it. Anywhere near the end or start of the month they will refuse to do it over the counter.
Mid month you'll be fine, we send couriers up to Northmapton VRO on a weekly basis to sit and wait........... mainly cos we can be arsed
Old 19-09-2005, 10:35 AM
SPADGE
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clare
Spadge, as I said above, it depends what time of the month you do it. Anywhere near the end or start of the month they will refuse to do it over the counter.
Mid month you'll be fine, we send couriers up to Northmapton VRO on a weekly basis to sit and wait........... mainly cos we can be arsed

Northanpton is where i go and yes they used to do it over the counter but changed the rule Nov last year. Now they don't do any cherished plate tranfers while you wait! May be they do your companys ones as a favour but that is the rule for Joe Public at Northampton regardless of what day of the month it is.
Old 19-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Clare
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ever thought it might just be you they dont like?