General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

fao traders re: trade plates and insurance

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 09:50 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fao traders re: trade plates and insurance

basically looking for info on trade plates and insurance. Looking into going into business, will involve collecting quite a few cars, i do have a trailer but trade plates would be a bonus too. So how do i actually go about getting trade plates. and same for trade insurance, can you basically be insured to drive any car, up to a certain value or something. thanks for any help
Old 08-07-2005, 10:19 PM
BUK
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trade Insurance is just the same as getting normal car insurance, you just have to look about for it mate , good compnay is called tradex , look ok www.yell.com for them, they offer all sorts of insurance.

Trade Plates - I may be wrong but i think you need to contact the DVLA regarding them, they do cost so much per year or something , if i remember correctly
Old 10-07-2005, 08:46 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

trade plates are only available to the car trade so for collecting cars and test driving non taxed cars and as long as ya have a premises that is registered ya can get em

they cost 160 quid a year, same price as road tax,,,,,,,,, get the rubber suround for em then ya can dangle the rear from the rear wiper arm and slap the front one on the back seat
Old 10-07-2005, 09:01 AM
TrickyDicky
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Default Re: fao traders re: trade plates and insurance

Originally Posted by Nomaderst
basically looking for info on trade plates and insurance. Looking into going into business, will involve collecting quite a few cars, i do have a trailer but trade plates would be a bonus too. So how do i actually go about getting trade plates. and same for trade insurance, can you basically be insured to drive any car, up to a certain value or something. thanks for any help
fill out the form with dvla, when i applied for mine, i had to go to interview, take my receipts and prove i was trading more than 6 cars a month, also need insurance. you dont need business premises as i used to trade from home and my plates are still registered here!

procedure will be similar for other business within motor trade but they wont give them to a new business-ie trying to do it properley from start doesnt wash with them, they only like applications form established businesses!

hth

Tricky
Old 10-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Dragon
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

You can apply to your local DRO office (they will issue the plates) who will send you the form to complete - send it back and if the think you are worthy of them, ie: have a legitimate use for them, they will send someone to come and visit your premises and look at your books.

As for trade insurance there are lots of companies available, but it also depends on your age and usage as to who will or won't insure you, ie: if you're under 25 there are only a handful of companies that will touch you, but if you're over 25 then there's no problem - I use MBA.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:16 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

that sounds all good, except them not likely to give trade plates to a new business. i would rather do things proper from the start. i am over 25 so hopefully insurance will be okay too