General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

London beat Paris for the Olympics

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 01:50 PM
andyhardy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think Blair will give as much of a shit in 2012? I think not.

All part of his plan to have a 'legacy' after his retirement.

Thankfully I can't stand watching athletics, it's worse than Tennis, so all I'll remember Tony for is being a complete and utter flim-flam prick!
Old 06-07-2005, 01:50 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Spain had worse problems with traffic before they hosted the olmypics....

now its all sorted!

No problem is un-solvable!!!! and 7 years is a long time!

Alex
Old 06-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J871yhk

now its all sorted!

Alex
Yes but you are relying on UK politicians, the most useless bunch of cnuts in the world.

It will be a fooking disaster and will make UK even more of a laughing stock.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Rhys, lets see if its something to be proud of or not first, but anyway, what difference does it make to you, its in england not wales anyway, so not a matter of national pride for the welsh like it would be in cardiff where it would have nothing to do with the english.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:56 PM
andyhardy

Originally Posted by chip-3door
Originally Posted by J871yhk

now its all sorted!

Alex
Yes but you are relying on UK politicians, the most useless bunch of cnuts in the world.

It will be a fooking disaster and will make UK even more of a laughing stock.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 06-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Chip, its coments like that which makes me laugh Anything said it was the British bid!

If you look at it like that, its nothing to do with you as its not in Weston or where ever u actually live
Old 06-07-2005, 01:57 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

lol...

hence why eveything here is so shit? hmmmm

I havent noticed many people desperate to leave... unlike many many other countries who are desperate to come in!

Alex
Old 06-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Gra
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cheap t-shirts anyone?

Old 06-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Rhys
Chip, its coments like that which makes me laugh Anything said it was the British bid!

If you look at it like that, its nothing to do with you as its not in Weston or where ever u actually live
Its nothing to do with me anyway, im not into olympic sports.

But i think of myself as english not british, which do you identify more with the union jack or the welsh flag, which would you have on your car or whatever if you had it on your number plate or something like that?

Or possibly your avatar?
Old 06-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Got it on my Avatar as mainly British people in here so identify differently, If im overseas im a British but also Welsh, Hell im a Welsh, British, European, Earthling I associate with both flags, When im going to the US, im going to have some stickers made up for a Laugh of the British Flag and Welsh to go on the car for a piss take.

Anyway where going off topic, so back on i think the Olympics will be good for BRITIAN as its the Brititsh olympics If im about will try and go and see some too
Old 06-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

But i think of myself as english not british, which do you identify more with the union jack or the welsh flag, which would you have on your car or whatever if you had it on your number plate or something like that?

Or possibly your avatar?
Fuckin' A! Its an English Olympics so English taxes should pay for it as there will be no gain for anyone north of the border.

Cam
Old 06-07-2005, 02:08 PM
SimonT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Shame we wont win fuck all as per normal!!

still 7 years we may get another Linford Christie or Colin Jackson or that skinny bitch who can run far.

I wonder how many "Athletes" from other countries wont go back home after?
Old 06-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Cam

Or possibly your avatar?
Fuckin' A! Its an English Olympics so English taxes should pay for it as there will be no gain for anyone north of the border.

Cam
That will happen anyway mate, the scottish and welsh ecnomies are only kept afloat in the first place because the english give them charity
Old 06-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The student games that were held in Sheffield were heralded with exactly the same hyperbole that the Olympic bid got and the longterm benefits were non existant along with a swimming centre that loses money hand over fist.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Cam

Or possibly your avatar?

Cam
That will happen anyway mate, the scottish and welsh ecnomies are only kept afloat in the first place because the english give them charity
right'o could start going about under investment etc. and how since starting get a say for its self i improved here much more etc. but lets keep to topic
Old 06-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Cam

Or possibly your avatar?

Cam
Load of bollocks Scotland stopped the UK going down the tubes for over a decade.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:12 PM
rizla

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Made me happy i live just down the road from it East london,s back on the map
Old 06-07-2005, 02:13 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Lol, fair enough Rhys, im not anti welsh or anything by the way, the same is true of england getting propped up econmically by london.

If london becase a country of its own the rest of us would be fooked!

So where i live down in somerset etc im subsidised by taxes from london.

What wales needs IMHO is its own petrol prices, its a big place with little congestion and doesnt need to stop people using their cars, so petrol there should only be half the price it is, but sadly thats not practical of course!
Old 06-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Cam
Originally Posted by Cam

Or possibly your avatar?

Cam
Load of bollocks Scotland stopped the UK going down the tubes for over a decade.
Hows that?

From north sea oil all owned by english companies you mean?
Old 06-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

I know what your saying Chip, kinda. Wales imo has become shit loads better in last 5 years, Well around South East bit, Loads of new developments on Job etc. Only look @ Cardiff to see how much that has changed

Plus only 3million people live in Wales Great for awsome roads to drive on though
Old 06-07-2005, 02:18 PM
SimonT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Only good thing about Wales is the raves in the mountains and the fact the girls are proper up for it!
Old 06-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Great for awsome roads to drive on though
Would be even better if it wasnt for the petrol being taxed at approx 10p a mile to combat congestion in london of course!
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Cam
Originally Posted by Cam

Or possibly your avatar?

Cam
Hows that?

From north sea oil all owned by english companies you mean?
40% of the UKs GDP was from North Sea Gas/Oil when the UK was really in the doldrums financially and if devolution had taken place England would have gone into a recession like Germany did in the '30s. The majority of the fields were/are owned by the Yanks btw.

anyway back on topic the Olympics will be a disaster imo
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by SimonT
Only good thing about Wales is the raves in the mountains and the fact the girls are proper up for it!
Plus the birds accents, i fooking love the welsh accent on a bird
Old 06-07-2005, 02:22 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Cam
40% of the UKs GDP was from North Sea Gas/Oil when the UK was rteally in the doldrums financially and if devolution had taken place England would have gone into a recession like Gewrmany did in the '30s. The majority of the fields were/are owned by the Yanks btw.
Ah, i understand mate.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Most of the fields that were UK owned though were BP werent they, which ASFAIK is an enlgish based company?
Old 06-07-2005, 02:24 PM
Ratty
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Seems like nobody has got any national pride either! Gezze lets hold big events etc. After all the money that will be spent in peanuts in the overall budget and would only be wasted on other things anyway!
What does the Olympics have to do with national pride??? - Its a Greek event to start with
Old 06-07-2005, 02:24 PM
SimonT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by SimonT
Plus the birds accents, i fooking love the welsh accent on a bird
Totally agree mate!

Gotta get back to "The Forest" and Monmouth soon Love it there!
Old 06-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Cam
40% of the UKs GDP was from North Sea Gas/Oil when the UK was rteally in the doldrums financially and if devolution had taken place England would have gone into a recession like Gewrmany did in the '30s. The majority of the fields were/are owned by the Yanks btw.
Ah, i understand mate.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Most of the fields that were UK owned though were BP werent they, which ASFAIK is an enlgish based company?
BP are registered at Companies house in Edinburgh as they get a .75% tax break under Scots tax law actually and the board is made up of mostly Scots but Yanks have/had options on most of production.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Ratty
Seems like nobody has got any national pride either! Gezze lets hold big events etc. After all the money that will be spent in peanuts in the overall budget and would only be wasted on other things anyway!
What does the Olympics have to do with national pride??? - Its a Greek event to start with
So was male/female anal sex, but i still take pride in doing that
(blatant joke nicked from frank skinner)
Old 06-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Cam
Originally Posted by Cam
Ah, i understand mate.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

BP are registered at Companies house in Edinburgh as they get a .75% tax break under Scots tax law actually and the board is made up of mostly Scots.
Well then i belive this belongs to me!

Thats weird though, cause im fairly sure they are based in london mainly, but maybe not registered there, as it was always london we had to deal with when i used to write control software for controlling the oil rigs.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

National pride, comes from getting an event the world wants to host, and then doing it very well putting on a good show etc.

Gezze somtimes i think communisum is a good idea at least Russia put on amazing shows back in the day to raise national profile and national pride
Old 06-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Cam
Originally Posted by Cam
Ah, i understand mate.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

BP are registered at Companies house in Edinburgh as they get a .75% tax break under Scots tax law actually and the board is made up of mostly Scots.
Well then i belive this belongs to me!

Thats weird though, cause im fairly sure they are based in london mainly, but maybe not registered there, as it was always london we had to deal with when i used to write control software for controlling the oil rigs.
BP is an international conglomerate with offices all over the world but the head office is in Scotland.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Anonymous
Banned

BP is of course a german company anyway, LOL
We nicked it at the end of the war!
Old 06-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

BP is of course a german company anyway, LOL
We nicked it at the end of the war!
Ah yes the former Bavarian Petroleum .Spa
Old 06-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

What a load of Bah humbug negative poo! Personally I hope (and actually think) its going to be great for the country. Should create some great sporting facilities and interest and participation in a huge variety of different sports, it should create lots of jobs in both short and long term. Infrastructure will need be massively improved and so lots of people will benefit both before and after from the increased quality of transport links and the clean up and regeneration of certain areas.

Oh and its going to be alot of fun to watch and a proper party atmosphere
Old 06-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Porkie, do you REALLY believe they will solve all the london transport problems for the event?
And even if they do, i dont fancy the next years much while they are doing it!

Agree though that the event itself will be a good thing, and it will create lots of underpaid jobs for illegal immigrants, which will help the black market economy and trade in slave labour
Old 06-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Porkie
What a load of Bah humbug negative poo! Personally I hope (and actually think) its going to be great for the country. Should create some great sporting facilities and interest and participation in a huge variety of different sports, it should create lots of jobs in both short and long term. Infrastructure will need be massively improved and so lots of people will benefit both before and after from the increased quality of transport links and the clean up and regeneration of certain areas.

Oh and its going to be alot of fun to watch and a proper party atmosphere
Sorry Lee but I reckon you have fallen for the PR machine behind the bid. Sorting the infrastructure is something that needs adressing Olympics or no Olympics plus the money, and were are talking billions here, would be better spent on health and education.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Gutted we got it, wait for the tax to rise, bet we get a few terrorist threats in the next 7 years too!

I'm not into the Olympics btw!
Old 06-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Anonymous
Banned

The money would be better spent on taking UK business focus away from london in the first place, its far too much the center of the UK economy, money spent rejuvinating other areas to appeal more to busines would take the strain off the tubes etc, but it would be SO expensive.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Ratty
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

It should be self funded from tickets like all other sports/events, why should those who dont care about it have to pay for it

Rhys national pride is not measusred on our ability to put on a show

Quick Reply: London beat Paris for the Olympics