General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

diff or not ??

Search this Thread

Old 26-06-2005, 10:51 AM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default diff or not ??

I am getting my 3 door rebuilt and befor it was taken apart ther was a clunk from the rear on launch.I mean when launched and not just pulling off.
However when taking the car apart it became evident that some monkey had bodged the replacement of the main beam bushes(cut them to get them in).
The diff has been taken apart and there is no evidence of teeth missing or the like .
Allso when the car was in the air the rear off/side would turn about 3" befor engaging ,but the near/side woul take up the slack almost straight away,is thes normal.

So i am left wondering if the clunk is a combination of the bushes and take up on the wheels,or if it is bearings in the diff.

All opinions appreciated on this one ,as i dont want to get it put together and find out it is still there.Likewise i dont fancy giving out £200 quid if it isnt the diff.
There are diff rebuild kits available (timkins)anyone had any experiance with these as an alternative to replacing with a second hand diff??
Thanks in advance Clive