General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

another piston ring question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 04:58 PM
RSeb
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another piston ring question

my old turbo lump reads about 90 psi when comp tested, now obviously its pooped but it never used to blow the dipstick out and when a mate of mine came round with this tool thing (plugged it in where spark plug goes and hooked it up to a copressor we then listened to the breathers an dipstick etc with the valves closed to see where it was blowing past) we couldnt find any fault, itnever smoked and the lump has had two different heads on it and same prob so it was def that at fault.

So really i'm just guessing that its rings and/or pistons

now i've heard you can sometimes damage the thrust side of the chamber, i cant see any damage to the bores but would you only find this out with measurement of the bores, i also need to remove the pistons to check them for cracks but if theres no sign of damage then what?

if any technical bods can shine some light on this puzzle for me would be mucho greatfull

cheeRS Seb