General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Car Tax

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 02:28 PM
CabrioTurbo
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Tax

Ive got a bit of a problem taxing a car and not ure what way to go about it.
Basically ive got a track car RST that needs taxing now i only bought this a coupple of weeks ago from a mate and the V5 isnt even in my name yet.
Also regarding insurance i was just going to get my mum to insure it on her policy then i can drive it using my 3rd party extention.

Now can i go to the post office with the M.O.T and my mums insurance document and the car having a completely different owner/keeper and still tax it? or do i need to send the V5 off and register it in her name to be able to tax the fooker?
CheeRS
Phil
Old 01-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Daveyboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

so long as your mums insurance specifies that vehicle reg in the document , then you should be able to use that. They will make you fill out the V5 and they will send it off for you from the post office. shouldnt be a problem
Old 01-06-2005, 02:32 PM
CabrioTurbo
PassionFord Post Troll

cheers mate will give it a go anyway.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:34 PM
Clare
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You complete the section V5C/2 (green part) of the V5 in your MUMS name, this is for insurance purposes as well as taxing purposes, normally one of the exclusions on insurance is that the keeper of the vehicle must also be the holder of the main insurance policy.
The post office wont ask questions if the Insurance and the V5 are going in your mums name but if you get a jobsworth and try and put it in your name they WILL and CAN refuse to tax it for you.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:01 PM
JimRS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

You Guys hear about the future of Road Tax?
Old 01-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mate get the green part in ya mums name as ya allowed to use that as a log book for 6 weeks after date of purchase whilst ya waiting for the log book to get through, i tax all my cars with that part and use a mates traders policy and ive tax 4 cars so far and none of em are in my name

they dont have the right to refuse that as its there tl legally allow you to get tax

as for the extention part of insurance, how they gonna prove where it was kept as ya mum might have stayed at yours that night,,,,,,,, thats if ya even gonna claim

if ya dont have time for the insurance thing pm me and me mate charges 20 quid on top of the price of the tax as a drink for him
Old 01-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Clare
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ginge they DO have the right to refuse as we often stand at the VRO or Post Office for hours and get to the counter and realise we've over looked something and have to leave empty handed.

Its like you are not supposed to have any alterations to an MOT cert anymore, even if initialled, all depends on who is serving you, some will query it, others wont, its luck of the draw.

Trending Topics

Old 01-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clare im talking abot the new keepers sublement, they can not refuse it as its a log boock for 6 weeks from the date wrote on it, even a jobs worth cant stop ya for using it in the 6 weeks !!!!, thats the point of it, you can also use it to produce and also if ya kill someone and get to court within 6 weeks

there is no legal reason they can refuse it, if ya fill it in incorrect then yes they have the right to refuse same as a inital's on a mot as im guessing the inital will be on the year

if ya do have a issue phil pm me about taxing a car with no insurance
Old 01-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Clare
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I wasnt disputing that, but the guy asked about who to put as the owner/keeper, in which case if this is different to the Insurance Policy holder they can refuse to accept it.

Now that Traders have to register which cars they have in their possession it is also more difficult to use a 'mates' Traders Policy to tax a car that isnt logged as being in his possession.