General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

AA question

Search this Thread

Old 18-05-2005, 08:17 AM
SPADGE
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AA question

I bought another 3 door yesterday that needs a little fettling to run right
The car is near Derby!
If i join the AA today with recovery is there any way they could get out of bringing it home for me? Obviously i know i will have to be with the car when i call them.
Old 18-05-2005, 08:22 AM
The Gravedigger
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah sure I've done it before.
Old 18-05-2005, 08:23 AM
B19-TRB
Professional Waffler

if it aint taxed they can say they wont take it!

ui need a decent cover for them to recover it ainywhere in the country!
Old 18-05-2005, 08:30 AM
MrsFrog
PassionFord Post Troll

As long as the car is road legal (taxed and insured.... blablabla) and that you have the right cover AND you are with the car, I can't see why not. You are cover from the moment they take your money...

We have had to change / add to our policy over the years there and then when the one we had at the time didn't cover us for what we needed. Never been a problem.

Thinking about it, don't think they ever checked tax and insurance....
Old 18-05-2005, 08:33 AM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Tax is the only thing that ive heard/seen them checking, and thats only the jobs worths.

tho i do no someone who bought a unroadworthy vechical cheep to brake, took the plates and tax off his car, put them on and got them to recover it
Old 18-05-2005, 08:36 AM
The Gravedigger

Originally Posted by Fil
tho i do no someone who bought a unroadworthy vechical cheep to brake, took the plates and tax off his car, put them on and got them to recover it
Nice one
Old 18-05-2005, 08:42 AM
Jonzy

Ive joined the AA after snapping a rack and being recovered 20 mins later, the women got very suspcious when I phoned up though.
Old 18-05-2005, 09:26 AM
HYBRiD_T
Regular Contributor

If you join the AA with ROADSIDE & RELAY, then until 24 hours have passed the patrol will only be able to offer you 10 mile recovery. Sorry mate... but my last job was as an AA Patrol. Fair play if somehow you manage a way round it.
Old 18-05-2005, 09:59 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

thats not true ya can join the AA for extra money onn the side of the road and they reocover ya there and then

but yeah spadeg aslong as 24hours has passed then ya sorted , just say the cars not started as they aint stupid , also if ya tow it to a motorway they will just recover ya rather than send out a patrol vehicle first
Old 18-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thats not true ya can join the AA for extra money onn the side of the road and they reocover ya there and then
No they wont!
I broke down on the M11, rang them up to join with credit card and she told me that i still wouldnt get recovered for 24hrs.
It did cost more to join there and then, but they would not recover atall.
All they did was get me off the motorway then bodged up the bust water pipe so i could drive home slowly
Old 18-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

thats strange as if they cant fix the car to get home then ya abandoned, then why would ya join

i joined like that after RAC fooked me about adn refused to comply with the policy they actually agreed to and said as i was closer to my home they will only tow me home and not to my uncles i was on my way too

they refunded me after 3 hours of arguing and then they gave me a extra 100 quid to join the AA and they recovered me

but in spadges situtation, aslong as ya gegt a plate and tax disc ( ) then they will take ya anywhere, oh adn if ya get the option 400 policy like i got ya also get a hire car for 3 days to rag about
Old 18-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thats strange as if they cant fix the car to get home then ya abandoned, then why would ya join
Its done so that people dont think "i wont bother joining till i break down" if everyone thought like that then hardly anyone would bother joining
Old 18-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

yeah but they charge more for it as a penalty , i seriously get towed to birmiham with it

but im also still a memeber and have been since, RAC just lost 130 quid a year customer when they done that and also all my mates have AA cover since too
Old 18-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yes, its more to join when you are already broken down, but they will still NOT recover you for the first 24 hours unless you pay a huge price for it
Old 18-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Dean Saff
Advanced PassionFord User

Spadge you should of spoke to me.. you now the score

If you join as said recovery will only be given after 24 hrs.

Tax has nothing to do with it anymore.

One thing I will say as a new member you will only get service/recovery if a genuine brakedown.
If the patrol spots that the vehcle has not driven for a while ie: rusty brake discs etc, Then they may refuse the recovery.

If you need anymore info call/pm me.
I also may be able to sort somthing out for you, cost of joining wise
Old 18-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

tbh all the AA recover guys have been spot on , ive never had a issue with em and also remember to tip em, i know there doing a job but there top people
Old 18-05-2005, 11:46 AM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Mate paid for a full RAC inspection, free membership came with it, inspection in the morning, went and collected the car in the afternoon and broke down on the way home, RAC said they would not attend as it hadn't been 24hrs, my mate said

"One of your ****** blokes inspected this car this morning and said it is perfect and it has only gone 20 miles and broke down, either come out or i want a full refund"

They came out
Old 18-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Dean Saff
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by b19bal
tbh all the AA recover guys have been spot on , ive never had a issue with em and also remember to tip em, i know there doing a job but there top people

Reading some of the replies made,
The misconception that most people make is that we are an emergency Brakedown service.
Not a Recovery service. Our aim is to keep you on the road and fix the car where ever possible.
If this is not possible then Recovery comes into play. If you dont have recovery then we will offer a local tow upto 10 miles(or to the nearest garage)

We will never leave a Member Stranded whether they joined that day or been a member for years..
Old 18-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

We will never leave a Member Stranded whether they joined that day or been a member for years..
Not from my experience....
I broke down with a bust water pipe (different one to the other time!) and an AA van pulled into the garage i had managed to get to. I asked him to have a quick look and offered to pay to join if he could sort it. He said even if i joined on the spot he couldnt fix it as he didnt have the part, and wouldnt recover me due to the 24hr thing.
I ended up having to pay 80 quid to get a local recovery firm to get me to a vauxhall garage where i had to wait till the morning till they opened
Old 18-05-2005, 12:50 PM
HYBRiD_T
Regular Contributor

Having been one myself and knowing at least a dozen, in general 99% of AA Patrols are spot on!

If you happen to get a patrol thats leaving the company and has his arse in his hand that day, then he might say anything he wanted to.

They recently paid out a Ł2k bonus to all the good patrols and offered Ł18k redundancy or a retraining package to all the non performing "dead wood". Most of the "dead wood" took the money!

So all the patrols that come out to you now should be more than helpful and very interested in sorting out your breakdown situations!
Old 18-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

He was really helpful, but said there was simply nothing he could do even if he wanted to
Old 18-05-2005, 01:50 PM
M7 COS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Is it not easier to just trailer it back yourself?

Fairplay to you though if you do get the AA to do it for you!
Old 18-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

When i did a piston and 4 valves on ma cossie and needed it taken 250miles to essex a couple of months later to be fixed, i drove it about 1/2mile from home and then claimed it just happened on my way to go stay in essex, they towed me all the way there
Old 18-05-2005, 02:12 PM
The Gravedigger

Yep the RAC have a limit, I think it's 5 or 6 times in a year. I know that 'cos that's how many times the Cossie has required RAC rescue this year

They wrote a letter after 5 times (or 4 maybe) warning they would start charging soon, then the next time I got a letter saying that's it I'd be charged if I called them out again this year.

Top stuff if you ask me!
Old 18-05-2005, 08:27 PM
SPADGE
15K+ Super Poster!!

Thanks for all the advice fellas but i went to see the car and it was a shed so no longer need the AA!
Dean i'll be talking to you about a discounted membership when next we meet mate