General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FAO Phil, Re your engien

Search this Thread

Old 13-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FAO Phil, Re your engien

As the other thread got locked due to arguing, i couldnt submit this, its not an arguemnt like you and porkie were having so hopefully popeye wont object.

All comes down to a matter of how much confidence you have in your own abilities TBH at the end of the day, and its pointless anyone else advising you as we dont know what your abilities are.

For example my engine i am building, i have chosen personally every single component, i have done all the stress relieving by hand myself, and im doing up every single bolt myself.
But thats fine cause im confident doing so as its something ive done before with a great deal of success so i therefore feel confident doing the new engine even though its a much bigger spec than ive ever done before.

you just need to ask yourself the same questions i did ie
"Can i do this"
"Am i prepared to lose everything if i get it wrong"
"Do i enjoy doing it"

If you think the answer is YES to all of those, then go for it, if you have any NO's in there then just accept defeat and get Mark to do it instead.

I think its madness when inexperienced people take on huge projects, you want some plumbing doing you call a plumber, you need an extension you call a builder, you need a filling you call a dentist, you need an engine building you call an engine builder.

Taking on something like that DIY isnt as easy as it sounds.
Old 13-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

talk about over moderation
Old 13-05-2005, 04:35 PM
ImaRacing 700
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes over moderation...but then porkie is a hero

Right thats out the way...

Chip i done me 330bhp build and the 430bhp approx buils mapped SECS from a base.....this lastest effort is FAR more expensive than the other 2...just wondering if letting mark build it garantees the thing aint gonna explode thru a laspe...

As you say mark aint gonna let me use something that would go fooking wrong as soon as you hit boost..like use std head bolts ROFL BUT i feel i am intelligent enuff to not be so silly myself....even if i build it myself i'd still check Marks opinion......
Old 13-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say built the other engines, do you mean bare block rebuilds checking every tolerance, or do you mean you bolted on the external stuff?

As (i hope) you are aware, building an engine of this spec EVERYTHING needs to be checked, every single clearnace where one part interacts with another.
The slightest mistake will be potentially very expensive.
Old 13-05-2005, 04:39 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Westy
talk about over moderation
i dont think it is over moderation,,, popeye done the right thing,,, we all know where the topic would of ended up!

same old same old,,,, nice move popeye
Old 13-05-2005, 04:44 PM
ImaRacing 700
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If porkie didnt reply where was the issue?

Chip...assembled and checked by myself,machining was done elsewhere andthe head ported and refurbished...and the liners instaleed by the machince shop...they did the bore clearance check....mainly DIY imo...you can go too deep into it though like saying for diy you gotta have made the parts aswell
Old 13-05-2005, 04:47 PM
ImaRacing 700
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Rudey the stage 3 did 8000miles before i said fuck it i need more BHP...the T4 build with 8 greens did 2000miles before cracking the block by the bolt holes due to using std head bolts ....then went to higher comp....on t4 8 greens but decieded to go skyline so started to break it...got pissed of with skyline and put a t38 on the saff with SECS S8 and 8 greens...did about 500miles and thought fuck it 600plus here we come