General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Side skirts & Galvanic Corrosion - Dissimilar Metals

Search this Thread

Old 29-08-2020, 12:28 PM
Jack and the Beanstalk
Regular Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Side skirts & Galvanic Corrosion - Dissimilar Metals

Can anyone advise me on using dissimilar metals including fasteners to attach brackets to a vehicle body? My concern is that galvanic corrosion would take place sooner than later

Materials:
Brass flat-bar - side skirt brackets
Stainless steel Inserts nuts (riv nut) - used one side to rivet into the car body & another into brass flat-bar
Stainless steel machined screw - used to fasten the bracket to car body on both ends
Car body - factory treated sheet metal

The reason I went with stainless steel hardware is because these would be exposed to the exterior elements / mud, dust, puddle splash, sand, rain etc. I was thinking perhaps once I have fastened everything just to give a coat of protecting wax on all the hardware. still worried about the galvanic corrosion taking place? I do stay near the ocean. One part of me is saying just do it and hope for the best as there will always be corrosion while another saying hang on and find out what is best so you don't run into later issues?
Old 29-08-2020, 10:31 PM
Heitmann
Regular Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you are OKish - the less noble metals in your example are also the biggest as I understand. Sheet metal - huge, least noble. Brass - more noble but way smaller than the sheet metal. And stainless inserts most noble but again smaller than brass brackets.

You will probably see some galvanic corrosion, on contact areas, especially because of the place you live.

Best you could do would be to paint it to seal it avoiding moisture getting to it.
In real world you probably will be fine for many years just covering it in wax
Old 31-08-2020, 12:33 PM
Jack and the Beanstalk
Regular Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Heitmann
I think you are OKish - the less noble metals in your example are also the biggest as I understand. Sheet metal - huge, least noble. Brass - more noble but way smaller than the sheet metal. And stainless inserts most noble but again smaller than brass brackets.

You will probably see some galvanic corrosion, on contact areas, especially because of the place you live.

Best you could do would be to paint it to seal it avoiding moisture getting to it.
In real world you probably will be fine for many years just covering it in wax

Thanks you for that. I think I will do as you say, lick of paint and seal with wax will be good.

Cheers

Old 23-10-2020, 05:51 AM
marky_g
Fleet Manager

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Should be fine i work in the sprinkler industry and all the alarm valves are brass and stainless inside (always covered in water) and they clean up nice, itd use a higher tensile strength fixing in the rivnut 10.9 or 12.9

The failure point will be the rivnut to body ive had the spin out before, anti seize on the bolts you should be fine