General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Just want an easy way to make my car shine!

Search this Thread

Old 13-04-2020, 02:26 PM
denniswynott
Regular Contributor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Just want an easy way to make my car shine!

So as many of us have been doing over the last three weeks, I've been cleaning and polishing the families motors to within an inch of their lives!
Over the years, I seem to have accumulated a whole host of different polishes and spray on waxes etc and have managed to try pretty much all of them thus far - but not one of them I have to say am I overly impressed with! Be it not much shine or a streaky finish and one that I've used today, I cannot seem to get it off the paintwork even!!

I'm a lazy valeter, just want to wash my car, dry it and then polish it........and quickly too!

I know these things are a matter of opinion but hoping that some of you might want the quick-fix that I'm after and might have a product suggestion for me?
Literally spray on, wipe off, that's the sort of thing I'm after!

Any help, greatly appreciated - have slung all my old stuff in the bin now so am ready to re-stock with some better gear!

Cheers,
DW.
Old 13-04-2020, 08:18 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

You tried the meguires ceramic spray on wax? It’s ok, easy to use and long lasting.

I used AG extra gloss protection last and that was very easy to use, proper karate kid style wipe on (wait a while) wipe off 🤣

I’d done a few steps of paint correction before hand though, but the paint was in a fairly bad state.

Old 14-04-2020, 12:40 AM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 118 Likes on 111 Posts

Easiest way is to get someone else to do it.
Old 14-04-2020, 06:50 AM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by GVK.
That's exactly what I do!
My mates teenage son is autistic and he loves cleaning cars and is pretty OCD about it. He's learnt how to do it via youtube etc and has got himself all the gear. He cleans loads of cars on our estate and does a fantastic job. He'll wash the car, remove all the road grime such as tar spots, clean the wheels and tyres, machine polish and ceramic coat the bodywork, vacuum and clean the interior and treat the leather as well as clean the windows. He even vacuums stripes in all the carpets which is a nice touch and gives you an air freshener. And all that for Ł30! Cant go wrong really.
Old 14-04-2020, 09:08 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 399 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by nick46
That's exactly what I do!
My mates teenage son is autistic and he loves cleaning cars and is pretty OCD about it. He's learnt how to do it via youtube etc and has got himself all the gear. He cleans loads of cars on our estate and does a fantastic job. He'll wash the car, remove all the road grime such as tar spots, clean the wheels and tyres, machine polish and ceramic coat the bodywork, vacuum and clean the interior and treat the leather as well as clean the windows. He even vacuums stripes in all the carpets which is a nice touch and gives you an air freshener. And all that for Ł30! Cant go wrong really.
Blimey!! He does all that for just Ł30!! Sounds like he needs to put his price up as it must take him a fair while and he has to pay for the products as well.For a top job like that I would happily pay him more!
Old 14-04-2020, 09:26 AM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by cossynut2
Blimey!! He does all that for just Ł30!! Sounds like he needs to put his price up as it must take him a fair while and he has to pay for the products as well.For a top job like that I would happily pay him more!
Yeah he spends hours doing it. His autism makes him proper OCD about it. He goes mad if his parents get their car dirty or want to put the dog in the back. They've probably got the cleanest Quashqai in the country
Old 14-04-2020, 10:27 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

that Maguires ceramic spray is good.

When I've used it in the past I've just washed the car off then rinsed the soap off,then add the Maguires spray and you see the water beed straight away. Then i would just dry the car whilst rubbing the spray in.
Old 14-04-2020, 10:47 AM
denniswynott
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by GVK.
Haha, yeah, I usually do - but all my eastern European friends are on lockdown too!
Old 14-04-2020, 10:55 AM
denniswynott
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by burnzy
You tried the meguires ceramic spray on wax? It’s ok, easy to use and long lasting.

I used AG extra gloss protection last and that was very easy to use, proper karate kid style wipe on (wait a while) wipe off 🤣

I’d done a few steps of paint correction before hand though, but the paint was in a fairly bad state.

Yeah, I've heard or seen several good comments about the Meguiars stuff but never tried it before -this ceramic stuff seems to be the 'new' best thing maybe?
Auto Glym is something I have had before, proper work in, haze and buff off stuff - I might give it another spin! The stuff I had in the garage was sooo old - maybe past it's best before date if there is such a thing with these products!
I'm using them on my gloss black Saff and metallic black Ranger pick up, perhaps it's user error!! Cracking shine on your VRS though, that's the result I'm after!
Old 14-04-2020, 10:58 AM
denniswynott
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Glenn_
that Maguires ceramic spray is good.

When I've used it in the past I've just washed the car off then rinsed the soap off,then add the Maguires spray and you see the water beed straight away. Then i would just dry the car whilst rubbing the spray in.
I'm gonna get me some of the Meguiars Ceramic stuff then and you literally spray it on whilst the car is still wet, and then wipe/dry off? Is it really that simple and with a good result?
Old 14-04-2020, 01:11 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by denniswynott
Yeah, I've heard or seen several good comments about the Meguiars stuff but never tried it before -this ceramic stuff seems to be the 'new' best thing maybe?
Auto Glym is something I have had before, proper work in, haze and buff off stuff - I might give it another spin! The stuff I had in the garage was sooo old - maybe past it's best before date if there is such a thing with these products!
I'm using them on my gloss black Saff and metallic black Ranger pick up, perhaps it's user error!! Cracking shine on your VRS though, that's the result I'm after!
Thanks, the autoglym stuff I mentioned was very easy to use, wasn’t graft at all, I was even in the sunshine, so some of it was sticking but using it out of the sunlight it shouldn’t get baked on.

I personally would spray the megs stuff onto a damp cloth, wipe over the car wait 5 mins then spray off and towel dry, you can re apply by spraying on and washing off but I seem to use loads when doing that 🤣

this has the megs ceramic coat on, I’d driven it down to the new Forrest for a show and it had just had a quick wash without re applying it before this photo, the rear quarter looks dull as it had a bad paint repair on it.

Old 14-04-2020, 03:39 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by denniswynott
I'm gonna get me some of the Meguiars Ceramic stuff then and you literally spray it on whilst the car is still wet, and then wipe/dry off? Is it really that simple and with a good result?

Yep.. look on you tube for it.
Old 14-04-2020, 04:29 PM
Mad_Mat
New Owner

Received 93 Likes on 90 Posts

Meguiars fast finish. Does exactly what it says on the tin.... But your paint has to be in tip top condition to get the most out of the product
Old 14-04-2020, 08:45 PM
qed296
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Meq's all the way for me.

Just redone the daily with ceramic wax, first coat (prime) after you have washed the car spray it on while wet, then wipe it dry.
Then re wet the panals......re spray the panels then spray it off...doing this spreads it over the panel for full coverage.
Then after this just redo as needed.....spray the wet panel, blast it off...then dry.

Been using the ceramic detailing spray aswell.

Not had chance to do the sierra yet, but thats all meq's polish & wax