General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Any Ford techs on here advice on getting a software update S-max battery drain proble

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 07:18 PM
rallycross
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Any Ford techs on here advice on getting a software update S-max battery drain proble

We have a 2010 Smax 2.0 tdci with an electrical drain on the battery.

new battery last month ( old battery was fine was recharged)

alternator tested and gives correct charge.

If car left for 3+ days battery will drain to so low the doors won’t unlock.

intermitent problem does not do it all the time.

fault codes read and don’t show anything specific.

have read that a Ford software update can cure this there was a Ford TiS bulletin for older Smax models to cure this fault but this car is newer than those affected.

Local Ford dealer will not agree to a software update have shown them the fault codes and the new battery and alternator test.

anyone fixed one of these and how can I get the Ford dealer to agree to try a software update ?

the only other symptom that something is wrong with the electrics is the radio always goes off after 1 hr.
we changed the head unit from another 2010 Smax and with the new head unit it does the same thing shits down after one hour ( the old head unit is now in the other Smax and works fine now no longer goes off after one hour). The other odd thing is the radio sometimes leaves the date time display on its screen when everything is off off. And the dash display sometimes shows the radio channel or cd track but other times just shows the outside temp ( it’s a zetec so you can’t change he display like in a Titanium).

Hoping a software update might cure it but main dealer not agreeing to try this.

any one had similar and fixed it?
Old 10-09-2019, 04:22 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

The radio thing almost sounds like the permanent and ignition feeds to the radio are swapped.

That could, I suppose, present a larger drain on the battery too.

Could also be talking complete b0ll0cks lol.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:49 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by St3V3_C
The radio thing almost sounds like the permanent and ignition feeds to the radio are swapped.

That could, I suppose, present a larger drain on the battery too.

Could also be talking complete b0ll0cks lol.
The radio is switched on and off by a canbus signal, there isnt a permanent and switched live these days. I would suggest you look at the body control module (fuse box).
Old 11-09-2019, 02:00 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

[QUOTE=RichieST;6800032]The radio is switched on and off by a canbus signal,/QUOTE]

There you go then!
Old 11-09-2019, 02:46 PM
rallycross
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieST
The radio is switched on and off by a canbus signal, there isnt a permanent and switched live these days. I would suggest you look at the body control module (fuse box).
Thanks have asked ecu testing and bba reman if it’s a known fault on these but not reply yet.

anyone know anything about getting a software update?