General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

diesel starting issue...

Search this Thread

Old 14-11-2017, 06:48 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts
Default diesel starting issue...

garage said wasn't anything to worry about but it bugs me.
my diesel start up in the morning after overnight parking turns over slower than normal for about 7 or 8 seconds before firing up with a cloud of grey smoke. the rest of the day itll start first turn of the key and not put out any smoke.
when I turn the key first quarter the glow plug light comes on and goes out within a second then once its started comes back on for about a minute or 2 before going out again. its never failed to start but my other diesel starts first turn of the key in the morning.
whats your thoughts on the cause ?
Old 14-11-2017, 06:50 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Time for some new glow plugs?
Old 14-11-2017, 07:22 PM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 236 Likes on 210 Posts

Have you changed anything on it?

I went through all this with my Vectra Cdti 5-6 years ago
First start in the morning was a pig... once started it would fire up all day long
Tried glow plugs, relay, battery, leak off pipes, fuel filter etc etc
Last resort was starter motor... I just didn’t believe it could be causing my fault as it always turned over
New one on and never caused me a issue again was like a newer... cranked so much faster
I believe when cranking unless a certain fuel pressure is reached the ecu won’t allow it to start

Reading the above again if the light comes back on once started on Vauxhall’s that normally means it needs a glow plug or 4?
Bet the garage don’t wanna snap them when trying to change them

Last edited by slammedorion; 14-11-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 14-11-2017, 07:46 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

done nothing to it since I got it 5 months ago , its going in for a general service on Friday but it sounds like its also going to need 6 new glow plugs .
if only everything in life was as reliable as my Vauxhall.

Last edited by fuzzy; 14-11-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 15-11-2017, 09:30 AM
colins2
Regular Contributor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

i had starting issues on my merc first thing started of the button all day no problem, changed heater plugs rebuilt HP pump had changed all the usual diesel pipes months before because of known problems, done a leek off test and found one injector was high replaced it and had no issued after that.
Old 16-11-2017, 04:45 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

is snapping a glow plug a common problem? ive never changed one but id considered it the same as changing a spark plug and ive never managed to snap one of them in my life?
Old 16-11-2017, 05:35 PM
The Crocodile Hunter
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

As glowplugs are generally much smaller that spark plugs so they just snap off easier.

Use plus gas, get the engine hot and use a torque wrench before removing and you should be fine, just ease them out gently.

Have you scanned it for codes? Faulty plugs should show up
The following users liked this post:
fuzzy (16-11-2017)

Trending Topics

Old 16-11-2017, 06:30 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

I wont be doing it, ill be sticking it into a garage for them to do it but ill be worried now about a possible big bill if a hamfisted spanner monkey snaps one ! ill get a shot of my mates code reader to see if it shows up anything.
Old 17-11-2017, 06:30 AM
The Crocodile Hunter
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I did them on my 330d as there were two showing codes. Lots of people suggested that they like to snap off and would give them a 50/50

Luckily all 6 came straight out!

I think the problem is as you say someone putting a big bar on them and just turning away
Old 17-11-2017, 05:41 PM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 236 Likes on 210 Posts

Plenty of spray, heat, back and forth if needed
Also depends how long they’ve been in for as the tips swell, even if they undo some still won’t come out due to carbon buildup

All glow plugs I’ve done touch wood have come out, but a lot of garages just don’t want the hassle
Old 17-11-2017, 06:46 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

my mate is as ham fisted as they come(once he managed to bend an m14 bolt on a Passat suspension mount changing the shocks with hand tools) and always buys german diesels and changes his glow plugs and even hes never managed to break one. ill give it a go myself ( obviously ive now tempted fate and ill break all 6) eurocarparts has got a 35% off weekend sale so ill buy the most expensive option of ngk plugs.

Last edited by fuzzy; 17-11-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 26-11-2017, 07:34 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

picked up fault code p0670 which seems to be a generic code from many manufacturers relating to the glow plug circuit, so first point will be to change the plugs, Ł55 off the price of 6 ngk plugs due to black Friday sales
Old 27-11-2017, 10:33 AM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Ease them back and forth with a bit of penetration oil, make sure the engine is nice and hot too, you can set a really low setting on the torque wrench and use that so you don’t over do it.

You guys a pussies anyway, wait until you get your hands on some ceramic glow plugs that Audi decided to fit for a few years, now that’s living dangerously, the manual states if you drop a ceramic glow plug more than 20mm or something rediculous then you should throw it in the bin so it doesn’t break off in the chamber it’s also where I got the idea from regarding using a torque wrench as it’s the procedure used to try and remove them without breaking.
Old 27-11-2017, 11:08 AM
moondustka
Boooost!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by colins2
i had starting issues on my merc first thing started of the button all day no problem, changed heater plugs rebuilt HP pump had changed all the usual diesel pipes months before because of known problems, done a leek off test and found one injector was high replaced it and had no issued after that.
This sounds like the problem my Leon has.. the longer it gets left the worse it starts. Doesn't matter if it's winter or summer. Like if I come back from being away or something it takes a good few minutes of cranking, coughing and spluttering to get it to start. I've changed loads on it now and still the same problem. It acts like it's got no fuel in the rail.

Garage said the last thing would be the injectors leaking.. maybe it is that. It was one that had an injector recall, maybe they new ones they put in are crap. Been like it for 60,000 miles now
Old 27-11-2017, 11:32 AM
colins2
Regular Contributor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default .

Originally Posted by moondustka
This sounds like the problem my Leon has.. the longer it gets left the worse it starts. Doesn't matter if it's winter or summer. Like if I come back from being away or something it takes a good few minutes of cranking, coughing and spluttering to get it to start. I've changed loads on it now and still the same problem. It acts like it's got no fuel in the rail.

Garage said the last thing would be the injectors leaking.. maybe it is that. It was one that had an injector recall, maybe they new ones they put in are crap. Been like it for 60,000 miles now
What engine is in that? just had mega problems with a 170 passat that did start but had all sorts of running issues try clamping the line from the tandem pump to the rail see if it is running back, does the oil smell of diesel?
Old 27-11-2017, 11:44 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by moondustka

Had the same issue with my golf tdi 1.9. Always trouble to start in the morning it would take 2 or 3 attempts. Got to the point wear it would run for a few minutes then cut out and take ages to start. Turned out to be one injctor which showed up on the vag com computer as using far more fuel than the others. Starts spot now