General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Swapping halogen for led headlights

Search this Thread

Old 27-09-2017, 10:53 AM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Swapping halogen for led headlights

Thinking of upgrading my headlight bulbs. Currently they are standard H7 halogens. Was just going to get some Osram night breakers or similar but while browsing through noticed you can now get LED's for your headlights that are a direct replacement for the halogen bulbs.
Has anyone gone down this route?
If so what are they like?
Are there any issues with the light beam given that they're being used with the halogen reflectors?
Old 27-09-2017, 04:10 PM
Fullflush
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

They look bobbins, don't bother
Old 28-09-2017, 03:24 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

Waste of time, the light spread is extremely poor...ive tried them and hated them, took them out after 5 mins of driving!

They initially look great when lighting up a shutter, but long distance lighting is when things go sideways...very quickly!
Old 28-09-2017, 08:22 PM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Looks like I'll be sticking with something more traditional then!
Any suggestions?
Old 29-09-2017, 10:41 AM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

Ive gone back to Ring Sportz Blue on mine...cracking pair of headlight bulbs!
Old 29-10-2017, 05:30 PM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Came across these the other day:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/products/led-headlight-conversion-bulbs-h7-4600-lumen-philips-z-es-main-dipped-glb477

I recon they might be worth a go. Anyone had any dealings with this company? From their reviews they seem to have a pretty good reputation.
Old 29-10-2017, 06:39 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

LED lights only work properly if the reflector and lens arrangement is designed for LED lights. Otherwise they don't spread the light properly.

Same with cheap HID upgrades everyone used to do.

If you want to see where you are going then you need to replace the whole headlight assembly with a the proper thing. If you want to "look cool" then fit the conversion bulbs but be aware that everyone who sees them will think they are shit.
Old 14-11-2017, 01:08 PM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Well I've been in touch with Classic Car LED'S and here's' the response. I recon they're worth a go so just ordered the top of the range one's. Hopefully they'll be ok. I'll keep this thread updated with how I get on with them.
Hi Nick,

Thank you for your email and sorry for the delay in replying, we get a lot of enquiries over the weekend.

The difference between our H7's are the top range ones have a longer and wider beam. They also have the external control unit that needs to be mounted but is fully waterpoof. We can supply 40cm extension leads if you have no room in your headlight housing. Both produce very defined beam patterns and we've had no MOT issues with them in reflector or projector headlights.

Canbus issues are hit and miss on German cars, most are fine but some of the same model will throw an error. The German systems are highly sensitive and unpredictable as a result. We do carry warning cancellers should you need them.

We've no experience with the space for the dust cover on your headlights so cannot advise if this would be an issue. The heatsink on the top range ones is reversible to give you options on length dependent on what you need. The overall length in short mode behind the mount is the same as a standard H7 with the wiring block attached .Dimensions are given in the pictures.

Finally, regarding adapters, we don't think you would need one but if you can send a picture of your current fitting, we can advise further?

Please let us know if you need any more information.

Kind regards

Duncan

Here's the ones I've ordered:
https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/products/led-headlight-conversion-bulbs-h7-4600-lumen-philips-z-es-main-dipped-glb477
Old 14-11-2017, 02:14 PM
cossie51
Regular Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I tried the LED bulbs but they were not as bright as the standard halogen bulb and looked like side lights only from the drivers seat so ended up putting a HID Kit in and lights are good now.
Old 14-11-2017, 05:17 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 583 Likes on 516 Posts

Be nice to see you're take on them Nick .
Old 15-11-2017, 01:53 AM
visa_broke

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

also interested.
Old 15-11-2017, 09:26 AM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

I'll do a full write up with pictures when I get and fit them. I've spoke to my mechanic and he's going to let me take the car over to the garage and put it on the mot test rig for some before and after pics of the beam pattern. I'll post these up as well.
Old 15-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Rsmat
300+

Originally Posted by nick46
I'll do a full write up with pictures when I get and fit them. I've spoke to my mechanic and he's going to let me take the car over to the garage and put it on the mot test rig for some before and after pics of the beam pattern. I'll post these up as well.

That's awesome Nick ..a proper way of testing them ..look forward to the results .
Old 15-11-2017, 05:11 PM
Mashurst
Regular Contributor

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts

As it happens just bought some of these for my Transit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nighteye-...53.m2749.l2649
Old 16-11-2017, 03:53 PM
1374lee
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 91 Likes on 91 Posts

Very interesting, I look forward to the results.I bought some LED bulbs for my car but have yet to test them out.

Thanks. Lee.
Old 16-11-2017, 04:27 PM
Rsmat
300+

There was a big discussion on a rs turbo page on FB and apparently these are the best to have and work ..anyone else used them ?

Swapping halogen for led headlights-6d4if6p.jpg
Old 16-11-2017, 08:03 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

6000k is bliue, 4200 is OEM HID/LED so that's what you should be looking for
Old 16-11-2017, 09:03 PM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Well they arrived today and first impressions are very good. Really well packaged and the build quality looks very good. Allen keys are included for the heatsink and for the adjustment of the bulb. There are even cable ties included for the control boxes. Communication and customer service is so far faultless. When I placed my order I only ordered one extension lead as I assumed they came as a pair. This was communicated to me in an email, but they said they'd throw in another one free of charge.
Just got to get them installed and tested now!

Old 16-11-2017, 09:22 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Will be interesting to see the results of these mate
Old 16-11-2017, 09:57 PM
murfs frst
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look forward to the results,how much are they out of interest
Old 17-11-2017, 03:11 AM
Nshaban786
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If buying leds headlight from eBay make sure you buy night eye cob leds I used them in my sprinter van and they lit up the road they don’t blind other road users like hids do I recommend https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nighteye-90...wAAOSw7ChZeYeJ they do a perfect job shames there not cambus
Old 17-11-2017, 04:55 AM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Originally Posted by murfs frst
Look forward to the results,how much are they out of interest
The ones I've bought are from Classic Car LED'S and are Ł55. The extension leads should they be needed are Ł3 each.
Old 30-11-2017, 09:45 PM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Right, today myself and a friend installed my new H7 LED's. I have done a comprehensive right up on a BMW forum as I no longer own a Ford which took me ages to do. Call me lazy but I simply can' be bothered to write it all up again on here and other forums I'm on. Follow the link below and hopefully it'll take you to the thread. There is also another review on there from another member who installed similar ones to me. For your information these bulbs were fitted to a 2010 E91 BMW 330d that has halogens fitted as standard.
Apologies for not doing the write up on here as well and I'm sure some of you will think it's a hangable offence to visit a BMW forum, but do go and have a look at my findings as I believe they are very informative.
For those of you who don't want to go and have a look, let' just say the install was a bit of a ball ache but the results are great! Nice crisp white light with a good mot friendly beam that won't dazzle oncoming traffic. Very very impressed!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1438935
Old 30-11-2017, 11:26 PM
visa_broke

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1438935

fixed the link

I'm still on the fence about getting some of these, I bought some hid's for the wife's car and that was a ballache as it kept tripping out when I started the car. I might look into these.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:37 AM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Thanks for sorting the link. How did you do it? I just copy and pasted it which worked fine on another forum I put it on.
​​​​​​
The lights really are good. I guess the install may be easier on different cars? All depends on the dust covers and how much room is behind them.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:20 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

I am suprised that the lights on a 2010 BMW need upgrading, I would have thought with a top of the range car they have the latest type of headlights as standard?
Old 01-12-2017, 12:43 PM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Unfortunately not! The xenons were an option.
I wanted xenons as the ones I had on my ST were great but when I found this car xenons was the only box it didn't tick. Everything else I wanted, it had and as it was such a good well looked after car along with being local, I decided to compromise on the lights.
I don't know if the standard halogens really are that poor but going from xenons back to halogens make them appear shite! Not any more though
Old 08-03-2018, 06:30 PM
BigChuck

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Just found this thread thought I would give it a bump to see what the leds are like now you’ve had them a while

Anyone else using these? How do they compare to aftermarket hids?
Old 08-03-2018, 07:30 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm running these in my a3. I'd say they are better than the aftermarket hid kit I had in my Saab. Well worth doing in my opinion
Old 08-03-2018, 08:19 PM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Well the LEDs are still great. The only issue I've had is condensation forming on the inside of the nearside headlight, but this was due to the fact that when we did the install this was the first one we did and it ended up being a bit of a bodge! Drilled the hole in the dust cover in slightly the wrong place and then couldn't get the cables through. Had to drill another hole below where we had the gromit for the second cable. Tried using silicone to seal it but it didn't work!
I got another dust cover and finally had a go at sorting it out yesterday (been too cold up until now!). So hopefully it'l be sealed now and no more condensation. While I was at it I also adjusted the angle of the LEDs to impove the beam pattern. When I installed them I followed the instructions and set the LEDs to what they said - with the LEDs slightly at an angle instead of having them at 90 degrees to the vertical. When I then took the car to my mates garage to check the beam pattern, the pattern was fine apart from the 'kick up' was a little low. I think this was probably due to how I set the LEDs. So yesterday I took them out and adjusted the angle - set the LEDs so that they're at 90 degrees to the vertical like I wanted to to start with! Hopefully this will improve the 'kick up' on the beam pattern. Going to get the beams checked again tomorrow on my way home from work.
Overall I'm really impressed with these LED's, it' just the installing of them is a bit of a ball ache mainly due to the huge heat sinks on the LEDs and the fact you have to modify the dust covers on the back of the lights. I'm guessing though that as this technology improves further, the heatsinks will become smaller and eventually it'll just be a straight swap. However, remember I'm basing this all on my experience of fitting them to my E91 BMW 3 series. Other cars may have much more room to play with and require less or no modifications.
Here's a couple of pictures of my dust covers that have been modified to accept the cables. The reason the hole had to be so big is so that the plugs could go through the hole as well.
Offside.
Nearside - the one that was bodged first time round!
Old 09-03-2018, 03:42 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

so how effective are they for beam spread and overall brightness on dark unlit country roads compared to standard bulbs? do you think theyre a big improvement for vision and definitely worth the effort to fit? various bulbs ive tried in the past have been pretty dull but maybe the technologies greatly improved on these sort of bulbs these days?
Old 10-03-2018, 05:11 AM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Top pic - original halogen. Bottom pic - LED.
Please note the camera on my phone does make the halogens appear a lot whiter than they actually are. They are actually very yellow whereas the led's are most definitely white. Note this picture was taken before I adjusted the 'kick up' so the beam should now be even better.
They are a vast improvement over the standard bulbs! I wasnt sure how good they would be as I'd read quite a lot of bad reviews about fitting leds in to halogen lenses, but the technology has improved and they really are very very good. If you don't mind the fuss you have to go through to install them (like ive said it might be easier on diffeten cars), then they are well worth the effort.
Attached:
Old 10-03-2018, 07:59 AM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

One other thing I forgot to mention was that occasionally the led's would throw up an error (car would think a light was out). Sometimes it would be ok for a week or so and other times it would come up a few times in one journey.
I could've bought error cancellers for a few quid but instead I just turned off the voltage monitoring for the headlights via 'Carly' my coding sofware I have.
The leds are supposed to be error free but while I was doing my research and having conversations with the seller, it appears that some BMW and VW electrical systems are very sensitive in that you could fit the led's to one car and they'd be fine but then take them out and put them in an identical car and they would throw up faults.
Since turning off the voltage monitoring I have had no more errors.

Last edited by nick46; 10-03-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:44 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

They look great. In my old mk4 Mondeo I put in a set of morimoto projectors and a hid kit. I found the cut off very sharp and it caused quite a bit of eye strain at night. These look good though! Do you have a pic of the front of the car with them on?
Old 10-03-2018, 09:21 AM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Standard halogen bulb.
Led bulb.

Last edited by nick46; 10-03-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:12 PM
BigChuck

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

my car had aftermarket hid’s in them when I bought it, one of them has just blown. I’ve got a set of these ordered so I’ll see what they’re like once fitted
Old 14-03-2018, 06:55 PM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Well I had the beam pattern checked earlier. The N/S needed to be raised a little and the O/S lowered a little. Since I adjusted the angle of the LEDs the kick up has now been improved. The beam pattern is not quite perfect but it is absolutely fine and completely MOT compliant. Also it would appear that I have cured the condensation problem. Result