General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Underside Protection

Search this Thread

Old 13-08-2017, 07:26 AM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Underside Protection

Just after a bit of advice really. Currently stripping back the layers of Waxoyl that's been applied to the Land Rover ready to repair any rust and retreat again.

The majority of the truck is looking really good but the rear crossmember and one of the outriggers has rotten through. It's amazing how a bit of surface rust turns into a load of holes very quickly!

Underside Protection-tpcfpy8.jpg
Underside Protection-bzsqpx0.jpg

I'm going to fog all the cavities with Bilt Hamber Dynax S50 but unsure what to put on the chassis. I don't want to buy anything new and I already have 5 litres of black waxoyl, an unlimited supply of zinc galv/primer spray and red oxide primer, 5 litres of Hammerite No1 Rust Beater and a few tubs of Kurust.

At the moment I'm thinking wire brush all the old waxoyk and dirt off, wipe over with white spirit before 2 coats of Hammerite No1 Rust Beater and 2 coats of waxoyl.

Or... would I be better with using Kurust after cleaning the chassis and using a zinc or red oxide primer before the waxoyl? Or even Kurust followed by the Hammerite Rust Beater?
Old 13-08-2017, 05:27 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

I'd buy acid etch primer and apply it using a spray gun
Old 14-08-2017, 08:18 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

How does the acid etch primer work??
Old 14-08-2017, 09:40 AM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Apparently eats into the steel, if using a rattle can it's not as good as it sets by evaporation or it would just set solid in the can where as a spray gun is chemical reaction so would last longer.

Ive used zinc primer and in my opinion not in the same league.
Old 15-08-2017, 07:14 PM
ray barker
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

i worked as a landrover mechanic for couple of years i used to blast them with with used engine oil through a shultz gun every service. drill holes fog it there is a way of not making to much of a mess when doing it and not leaving a mess on your drive. the farmers used say oil is cheaper than iron buh
Old 19-08-2017, 05:18 AM
The Crocodile Hunter
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Old engine oil within cavities is great as it runs down into all the joints / welds. Something waxoyl doesn't really do that well.
Old 28-08-2017, 03:00 PM
Fartblood
Erect Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Acid etch, hand paint black, then Redneck Waxoyl.