General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Record price for 1963 E Type Lightweight race car.

Search this Thread

Old 15-05-2017, 08:54 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 398 Likes on 362 Posts
Default Record price for 1963 E Type Lightweight race car.

A 1963 lightweight E type Jag race car which is an ex Bob Jane ( well known Saloon car race driver in Australia ) which was one of only 12 built by the factory has just been sold in a Bonhams Scottdale Arizona auction for a staggering US$ 7.37million or £5.7 million pounds!!!! Its last season of competition was 1966 so it looks in very good condition but at that price it should be!!!
I wonder if the new owner will ever race it again or will it just go into a museum collection?
Old 15-05-2017, 03:21 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Alot of money for a car which will no doubt just get looked at for the rest of its life.
Old 16-05-2017, 01:48 PM
jim_robson
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

A fair few of the lightweight e-types still get raced
Old 17-05-2017, 03:03 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Not only that the new 'recreations' that jag did recently are not allowed into historic motorsport, Lord March has also banned them from historic racing at Goodwood so the value in the originals is that they are still eligible if you want to go race them, and as Jim says, many of them are still in action, and pretty hot feisty action it can be too sometimes!
Old 20-05-2017, 08:09 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I was driving down the m25 a few weeks back and a lovely dark purple coloured e-type comes past me on the outside lane, I was handsfree talking to the other half and mentioned you don't see them very often and this one looked pristine, all the underneath looked brand new and freshly restored by the looks of it when it went past.

20ish minutes later the traffic slows down and the e-type has gone straight into the concrete on the inside at one or two junctions before m40 going anti-clockwise, I couldn't believe it, was really bent up as well, bet the owner was mortified, both driver and passenger where ok and walking but the poor car looked in a right state pissing water and oil everywhere iirc too.

Was such a shame, I don't know what happened no one else involved by the looks of things, hopefully it wasn't an error of the owner rebuilding it.
Old 20-05-2017, 11:42 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by It's Czech Mate
Not only that the new 'recreations' that jag did recently are not allowed into historic motorsport, Lord March has also banned them from historic racing at Goodwood
clearly money talks as it isnt a decision in the best interests of motor racing or historic motorsport.

Some older classic jaguar replicas now get recognition so you know its purely financial when a genuine jaguar built car gets rejected in that way.
Old 22-05-2017, 09:04 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Psycho Warren
clearly money talks as it isnt a decision in the best interests of motor racing or historic motorsport.

Some older classic jaguar replicas now get recognition so you know its purely financial when a genuine jaguar built car gets rejected in that way.
Of course not

You've never been able to race replicas in any sanctioned historic events, all these are in reality is replicas albeit very good ones built under the original brand, but if you allow these to race it weakens the integrity of any historic event.

I don't think Lord March is going to pocket much from not letting them at FOS