General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

STILL FUELLING PROBLEMS ON MK3 XR3i

Search this Thread

Old 13-05-2017, 03:06 PM
CLIVE
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STILL FUELLING PROBLEMS ON MK3 XR3i

Can anyone help confirm a fuelling problem i have on a mk3 XR3i. when you turn on the ignition you can't hear the fuel pump pre-prime. it had new fuel pump recently. I have put a electrical tester on the pump, if you turn on the ignition, there is no reading on the pump, only when you crank the engine over, is that right ?. I changed the metering unit too, I don't seem to be getting pressure back into the injection pipes and it refuses to start.
any help please
thanks
Old 13-05-2017, 03:11 PM
3i Jim
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Have you checked the fuel pump relay?
Old 13-05-2017, 04:06 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

I had similar problems with mine, run a separate temporary feed to the pump and see if it'll start
Then. I ran 2 wires from a battery just to test it
Old 13-05-2017, 05:49 PM
CLIVE

I checked the relay and it powers across the terminals,
this was my next option was to run wires direct from the battery to test the pump etc.
can i leave it connect direct to the battery for a few mins to run the engine or not.
what turned out to cause the problem with yours ?
Old 13-05-2017, 11:12 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Just put a fuse inline on the positive wire mate and it'll be fine just to test it. From memory I used to have a couple of the purple fuel pump relays in the glovebox as they were always packing up.
The following users liked this post:
CLIVE (14-05-2017)
Old 14-05-2017, 08:34 AM
CLIVE

thanks for that, I will give it a try hopefully today and see how I get on
Old 15-05-2017, 08:34 AM
Cookson

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those bloody pink fuel pump relays were always a nightmare. This was mine on my last RS

Name:  e4dc8b0c.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  169.6 KB
Name:  c6d5ea01.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  64.9 KB
Old 15-05-2017, 09:40 AM
haz87
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 175 Likes on 165 Posts

They always end up a mess because of the resistance in the wiring through age.
Adding a proper +12v and new relay loom using the original as a trigger only works wonders. Will stop any further problems.
Old 15-05-2017, 07:18 PM
CLIVE

I did run wire direct to the pump and it continually buzzed and run, pressurising the system, but car still would not start, but I wonder if this is because the wire to the pump from the relay also feeds the warm up regulator and cod start.
I have ordered a relay and keeping my fingers crossed
thanks for all the help and any further advice is more than welcome
Old 16-05-2017, 05:20 AM
haz87
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by CLIVE
I did run wire direct to the pump and it continually buzzed and run, pressurising the system, but car still would not start, but I wonder if this is because the wire to the pump from the relay also feeds the warm up regulator and cod start.
I have ordered a relay and keeping my fingers crossed
thanks for all the help and any further advice is more than welcome
Cold start valve is powered off the starter motor and thermotime switch. This only energises whilst cranking and the temperature low (cant remember specific temp off top of head).

Warm Up Reg only has the heated element as part of the fuel relay circuit so isnt required to start the car.

The fact you were energising the pump directly would give fuel to both of the above.
Old 16-05-2017, 07:46 PM
CLIVE

Thanks haz87, I can't understand why it still won't start, bypassing the relay does get the pump working and pressurising the system, I am guessing that running the pump of the battery causes the pump to continually buzz and the relay I guess stops that.
I am struggling to start the car and if I do it is as lumpy as anything and hard to keep going on the throttle without dying,
I don't suppose you know of anyone over the Hampshire/surrey boarders who may have a look at it, if the relay turns out not to be the problem,
Old 16-05-2017, 09:48 PM
bigdel
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

Clive, you could try contacting Clayton Parmenter at CJP Autosport in Basingstoke

Top guy who should be able to help you out. Not sure if he'd come out to you though, but worth an ask.

He's a member of the Hants & Berks RSOC facebook group so you should eb able to contact him via that.
Old 17-05-2017, 05:08 AM
haz87
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by CLIVE
I am struggling to start the car and if I do it is as lumpy as anything and hard to keep going on the throttle without dying,
If the car starts, albeit lumpy, the relay isnt the problem.
Have you checked all the Jetronic basics - Vacuum leaks,cam timing, ignition timing, fuel pressure?
Old 17-05-2017, 05:24 PM
CLIVE

thanks, that was my next point to check timing etc. I was going to take the injectors out and point them into a clear jar to see how well the fuel sprays. is there a easy way to check the pressure
Old 17-05-2017, 05:56 PM
haz87
PassionFord Post Troll

There are fuel pressure testers available - not cheap tho. Or you can make one with a few adaptors and bits of pipe. Good enough for short term testing.
Old 22-05-2017, 03:01 PM
CLIVE

finally getting to the bottom of my fuelling problems, seems to be the injectors. the car had been off the road for about 4 years and after looking at the metering unit etc, have fuel right up to the pipe fitting onto the injectors, but nothing coming out, I took out each injector and re-connected it to the pipe and pointed it into a clear jar and tried starting the car, but no fuel was coming out, so I am going to clean them , if that does not do it, buy some more,
I am guessing there is no other reason why the injectors are not spraying fuel straight into the Jar,
Old 22-05-2017, 03:08 PM
haz87
PassionFord Post Troll

If you really wanted to test them, then have the injectors pointing in jars as you have already done, then manually lift the metering flap (engine off) as this will impersonate air flow. If you have mega airleaks etc then cranking wont be enough to impersonate proper airflow and the associated lift on the plate.
Old 22-05-2017, 07:41 PM
CLIVE

I did try that and nothing, I loosened the union and it sprayed the fuel out of the joint, so have put it down to blocked injectors,