General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

T5 concentric clutch slave cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 10:33 AM
Nitron3000
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T5 concentric clutch slave cylinder

Hi all,

I was wondering if if anybody else has had a concentric slave clutch go 'pop' on them?
its fitted on my kit car with a t5 gearbox, worked brill for about 5 hours rolling road time (all be it not too many gear changes) and gentle running up and down the street (car not road registered). Then 2 laps into my local circuit it went pop. Loss of all hydraulic fluid left on the circuit. Got engine and box out over the weekend and the slave cylinder seals have failed completely!

I bought the kit from brands hatch performance (I have sent them the same message and awaiting response) it's fitted with the shim they advised for the standard clutch and bite was at the top of the pedal so all good. Running a 3/4 bore master cylinder (not sure if it's a bit big). Now I find it unlikely it's the slave cylinders fault because they should last 1000s of miles in a standard car and I don't think it's a cheap one. Maybe my master cylinder bore is too big? Although I know the smaller the bore the higher the pressure. Maybe my pedal moves too far and I'm pushing too much fluid into the slave cylinder?

Obviously I want to try to eliminate errors in my clutch system as this is an engine out job to fix and £70 odd for a new slave cylinder and waste of a track day

any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Niall
Old 08-05-2017, 07:22 PM
ray barker
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

the people you bought the slave of should be able to advise on the m cylinder size. i think your m cylinder is middle of the road i run an external on mine with same size. talke to other kit car owners running the same setup yb & t5 is common if its just for track go back to cable you can make your own up some of these new liners and cables are really smooth
Old 10-05-2017, 08:25 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Master size is only one part, how you install it and the travel you have at the master is up to you.

If it's popped and bite was right at the top, sounds like you've had far too much travel and over extended it.

With slave fully retracted how much clearance was there between release bearing and clutch fingers ?
Old 10-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Nitron3000
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks both for your reply, so it looks like I have 'overstroked' the slave cylinder. Pretty much what you said stevie Clint at BHP was very helpful on email. Too much pedal movement and too big a master cylinder. The clearance was good just with that that extra fluid a 3/4 pushed must have just tipped it over the edge. Just couldn't understand why it hadn't happened sooner? Oh well new slave, correct size master and a pedal stop on order, so hopefully won't happen again