General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Lubrication

Search this Thread

Old 31-03-2017, 06:30 PM
tosh
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Lubrication

Not started the engine for about 6yrs now! Has any one ever removed the dizzy before and used a drill on the hex shaft to pump oil round?
Old 31-03-2017, 06:36 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,033 Likes on 945 Posts

I think you can just turn them over without spark or fuel...maybe the tiniest drizzle of oil in the bores?
Old 31-03-2017, 06:52 PM
tosh

Usually do that if it's sat for shorter periods, but 6yrs sat outside there must be rust in the bores by now! Just don't want to score them, probably overkill but just wondered if anyone has done it before?
Old 31-03-2017, 08:02 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 561 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by tosh
Usually do that if it's sat for shorter periods, but 6yrs sat outside there must be rust in the bores by now! Just don't want to score them, probably overkill but just wondered if anyone has done it before?
Little bit of oil down the cylinders and turn it over a few times by hand. Then unplug something so it dosent fire and turn it over by the key untill oil pressure light goes out
Old 01-04-2017, 05:23 PM
tosh

Yeah your probably right mate cheers, I'm just being over paranoid because of the time it's sat for.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:44 PM
rooos
PassionFord Regular

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

just cautious, not paranoid...

just follow as gcfcos and caddyshack say and let it crank since the oil lamp switches off.

while building up oil pressure, taking down the spark plugs will unload the crank during the compression strokes.
i'd take down the fuel pump relay too.
when cannot find it, just make a switched wire to excite the starter motor solenoid, directly from the positive pole, without using the key.
sometimes can be simpler intercept the fuel hose which feed the carb\injectors and put it in a bottle. this should isolate a mechanical fuel pump...

regards.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:40 PM
big_wasa

Received 126 Likes on 123 Posts

I would put a tiny bit of oil in each bore and see if it turns by hand first. If it won't then you don't need to worry about oil pressure.

If it does. I would do an oil and filter change with the cheapest oil you can lay your hands on. Take the plugs out and spin in until the light goes out. Put the plugs back in and see if it runs. You will also want fresh fuel. Get it nice and hot and do another oil and filter change.

Trending Topics

Old 03-04-2017, 05:40 PM
tosh

Thanks for the advice lad's
I put a cheap 5w-50 in for its initial start because it's thinner to help the hydraulic cam followers build up pressure, all went well with no scary noises