General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mapping issue help needed.......

Search this Thread

Old 30-12-2016, 10:34 PM
RoryG25
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mapping issue help needed.......

Hi all need a mapper in east coast (I'm in Felixstowe)
Old 30-12-2016, 10:51 PM
COLEYST200
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 144 Likes on 133 Posts

I think you must be new on this site welcome .
first off wots the car your talking about
2nd wots rong with it . Wot have you done to it . Wot do you won't doing to it .
A bit of info really helps us all out here . It might be something the lads on here could help you out with . With out going to a tunner

Last edited by COLEYST200; 30-12-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 30-12-2016, 10:59 PM
RoryG25

Ok m8 well ford ST MK2 2006 currently running 300hp 370lbft, parts full exhaust system full cias induction mapped by AMD RS clutch uprated plugs. Maybe missed something! Got lots of mods sitting to be fitted. Diff uprated drive shafts rs turbo injectors plenum. Maybe a few parts I've missed but off the top of my head that's all I remember.
Old 30-12-2016, 11:29 PM
mattman1234
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

err,,,whats with all the spelling
Old 31-12-2016, 06:29 AM
COLEYST200
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by mattman1234
it dose that that some times when I post off my iPhone.
Old 31-12-2016, 06:42 AM
COLEYST200
PassionFord Post Whore!!

So an I right in wot I'm saying you have had it mapped with loads of mods on it in Essex.
But you now have more stuff you won't fitting to the car then have it remapped to the new set up .
Can you not fit the parts your self then have a day trip back to the place that did it befor or are you not happy with wot they did to the car befor ?
If you need them to fit all the new parts your going to have to leve the car with them for some time .
Im sorry I don't no much about these focus ST,s but a place by me in Birmingham do
PUMA BUILD and they fit any part and map so it might be worth a trip to Birmingham
Old 31-12-2016, 09:19 AM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Plus like myself there is a few members that have dyslexia
The following users liked this post:
Jay, (05-01-2017)

Trending Topics

Old 31-12-2016, 09:22 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Did you mean to type "er, what's with all the spelling?" Certain amount of irony in that post
Old 01-01-2017, 12:47 AM
RoryG25

No I'm neededing to have some work done in the region plus mapping. I'm needing someone close with engineering skills and someone who can map plus know what they are doing, as I have been to as in Kent but there not as good as people make out!!!��!?
Old 01-01-2017, 08:18 PM
wayne1001
Part of the Furniture

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get your car down to Lee Charnick at devil developments in Sussex,
look them up on Facebook & website etc
He really knows his stuff especially with focus and st's ect
Old 02-01-2017, 07:59 PM
ray barker
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles
my spelling is shit as well spent most of my life spelling car parts forgot how to spell anything els now ive just left the motor trade im forgetting how to spell them now doww who gives a fuk if i dont no one els should
Old 03-01-2017, 10:05 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by wayne1001
Get your car down to Lee Charnick at devil developments in Sussex,
look them up on Facebook & website etc
He really knows his stuff especially with focus and st's ect
Agreed, only place I'd take a Mk2 ST/RS

Originally Posted by RoryG25
Ok m8 well ford ST MK2 2006 currently running 300hp 370lbft, parts full exhaust system full cias induction mapped by AMD RS clutch uprated plugs. Maybe missed something! Got lots of mods sitting to be fitted. Diff uprated drive shafts rs turbo injectors plenum. Maybe a few parts I've missed but off the top of my head that's all I remember.
To give you an idea - you will need the block mod done before you go any further. But what power you after and what map is it on now?
Old 05-01-2017, 12:55 AM
RoryG25

Hi XRT SI yeah it's mapped by AMD in Kent was mapped before I picked it up I'd like to know what I'd get BHP I can achieve it's running the usual straight through exhaust Airtec stage 3 intercooler cias induction uprated plugs rs clutch and it's been on rollers giving 300hp 370lbft at AMD. But I have hybrid rs turbo big injectors (don't know what cc) plemdum uprated rs throttle body (70mm) rs cams so when all fitted will need re-mapping. Have been looking at A after market ECU but don't reallly know what to go for? Anyone know of any after market ECUs not revo mountune dreamsience ect.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:37 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I know these cars quite well as it happens.

You will need the block mod before you go any further, costs around Ł700.

Then the standard ST pistons and rods will limit you to around the 350-360bhp mark, so worth considering if you want to switch to either RS internals, (good for 400bhp in an ST), or forge it, depending on your budget, at the same time as the block mod.

You can push a Revo Stage 2 programme to around the 350bhp mark on a hybrid turbo and big injectors, but it's not strictly ideal. Devil Developments can do it though and the map is around Ł420.

You would see more gain (in terms of power and drivability) moving to an aftermarket standalone ECU. But you're looking around Ł2600 for Syvecs, fully fitted and mapped.

In your current spec, with decent plugs you should see around 330bhp on Revo Stage 2, with a block mod.

Last edited by XRT_si; 05-01-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:43 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles
And there are too many arrogant fuckwits that dont take this into account
Old 05-01-2017, 05:58 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by XRT_si
You would see more gain (in terms of power and drivability) moving to an aftermarket standalone ECU. But you're looking around Ł2600 for Syvecs, fully fitted and mapped.

In your current spec, with decent plugs you should see around 330bhp on Revo Stage 2, with a block mod.
This is the biggest misinformation there is. The standard ME9 ECU is far more powerful and sophisticated than Syvecs. Syvecs is a great ECU, but it will not improve the power and driveabiity of the car. The issue is people don't know how to calibrate them properly. I see daft things like not increasing the MAF housing diameter because "the ecu doesn't like it"...

Also, 300bhp on a standard ST turbo and pump fuel is pretty much a pipe dream, never mind 330. I did some development a couple of years ago, and the most power I could get was 294bhp using the standard turbo. You would be right to question whether it was my skills in mapping that I only got 294. I asked myself the same question. So I dyno'd a CP340 car, that had just been freshly converted. It made 284bhp. A Revo car made very similar.

So where are these 300+ power figures coming from? The answer is roller climb. The car being FWD, fairly light and making a lot of torque results in the car climbing up the front roller and leaving the rear one. This means there is less intertia to spin and results in inflated figures. The car needs to be strapped down properly, and virtually nobody does this. You need straps over the front suspension arms to stop if climbing out. I've tested it many times - don't strap it down properly and suddenly you make an extra 35bhp....

The biggest con is this: You go into the Dyno for a map. The car is run up and makes standard ish power. Because the standard torque is low, it does not climb up the roller. Then a map is put on. The car is run again, only this time it had much more torque and so climbs up the roller. The result is that you gain 30 odd bhp from the climb, plus whatever the map gives you. Very happy customer and the tuner looks like a hero. And you can't argue with it - the car was run before and after the map without being moved so everything is spot on? Not so I'm afraid...

Rick
Old 06-01-2017, 08:58 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rick
This is the biggest misinformation there is. The standard ME9 ECU is far more powerful and sophisticated than Syvecs. Syvecs is a great ECU, but it will not improve the power and driveabiity of the car. The issue is people don't know how to calibrate them properly. I see daft things like not increasing the MAF housing diameter because "the ecu doesn't like it"...

Also, 300bhp on a standard ST turbo and pump fuel is pretty much a pipe dream, never mind 330. I did some development a couple of years ago, and the most power I could get was 294bhp using the standard turbo. You would be right to question whether it was my skills in mapping that I only got 294. I asked myself the same question. So I dyno'd a CP340 car, that had just been freshly converted. It made 284bhp. A Revo car made very similar.

So where are these 300+ power figures coming from? The answer is roller climb. The car being FWD, fairly light and making a lot of torque results in the car climbing up the front roller and leaving the rear one. This means there is less intertia to spin and results in inflated figures. The car needs to be strapped down properly, and virtually nobody does this. You need straps over the front suspension arms to stop if climbing out. I've tested it many times - don't strap it down properly and suddenly you make an extra 35bhp....

The biggest con is this: You go into the Dyno for a map. The car is run up and makes standard ish power. Because the standard torque is low, it does not climb up the roller. Then a map is put on. The car is run again, only this time it had much more torque and so climbs up the roller. The result is that you gain 30 odd bhp from the climb, plus whatever the map gives you. Very happy customer and the tuner looks like a hero. And you can't argue with it - the car was run before and after the map without being moved so everything is spot on? Not so I'm afraid...

Rick
Sorry, but don't agree/know you're wrong from personal experience on a few of those bits.

First of all, having driven big power Mk2 Focus ST and RS examples, the Syvecs improves the drivability through the more advanced traction control more than anything else. As I'm sure you know, it's torque biasing and eliminates wheelspin altogether, making the car more usable. Also, have you ever driven a 500+bhp Focus RS on a standard ECU? It's certainly not happy about it, to say the least.

I've seen 20+ cars on Revo Stage 2 make 330bhp. Perhaps the rollers were out and/or, as you state, climbing up onto the front roller makes a bigger difference than I was aware - I was always told it does affect figures, of course, by around 10bhp tops on a big power car, but certainly not 35bhp on a 300bhp car and it's strapped this way not to manipulate figures but to ultimately help traction. I've then seen, first hand, a Focus RS measured on the same dyno in this way, and then back-to-back on a hub dyno, and make virtually identical figures. That's enough proof for me - and anyone else it would seem.

The CPXXX cars are well known for exaggerated figures and most people/even tuners don't seem to realise Revo is a programme, not a file, that needs adjustment. I've seen, again first hand, a car make 300bhp on Revo Stage 2 and after adjustment on the programme make nearly 30bhp more. Going by your logic, if you're suggesting that a 300bhp/300lb ft car can't climb up onto the front rollers but a 335bhp/330lb ft car can, then again, I'd have to side with the info I was told before. The extra power came from somewhere.

I've also seen several Mk2 Focus ST models on Revo Stage 4+/RS software conversion making 400-415bhp...on a standard ST fuel pumps. I know this because I owned one of them and a friend owned another. Again, call the dyno/strapping wrong - but by 115bhp?

There's a lot of bullshitters in the ST/RS scene, I know this better than most people. But the good guys who know their stuff inside out with these cars genuinely know the score, what is and isn't possible and can prove it time and time again - hence their reputations.

Last edited by XRT_si; 06-01-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:23 AM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

I have an ST on the Dyno later today, I will show you the difference between correctly strapped and not

Rick
Old 06-01-2017, 11:42 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sorry, you can do what you like but having seen a car that climbed up onto the front rollers make 765bhp on a dyno, and then 700bhp at the wheels (over 760 flywheel?) on a hub dyno the next day, I'm afraid not much will change my mind.

Can you explain why you think a standard turbo, or fuel pump, won't do 300+bhp? Or why Syvecs doesn't improve drivability?
Old 06-01-2017, 12:22 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

The Dynapack's are a little generous with power, and talking of a 700hp car is the extreme end Why did it climb the roller? It's not an accurate reading if it did.

The reason i say they can't make 300bhp - or struggle to do so - is that I've never seen one do it, and I have tested lots on RR Days with various setups. VXR's are the same - they always exaggerate power claim's.

What do you think an ST with Airtec Stage 4 cooler, full exhaust system and intake should make?

Rick
Old 06-01-2017, 12:38 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The Dynapack's are a little generous with power, and talking of a 700hp car is the extreme end Why did it climb the roller? It's not an accurate reading if it did.

The reason i say they can't make 300bhp - or struggle to do so - is that I've never seen one do it, and I have tested lots on RR Days with various setups. VXR's are the same - they always exaggerate power claim's.

What do you think an ST with Airtec Stage 4 cooler, full exhaust system and intake should make?

Rick
So hub dynos aren't accurate enough to use as an example? And because you've never seen an ST make over 300bhp, then it can't be possible?

Sorry, I can't take anything you say seriously anymore.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:37 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by XRT_si
So hub dynos aren't accurate enough to use as an example? And because you've never seen an ST make over 300bhp, then it can't be possible?

Sorry, I can't take anything you say seriously anymore.
You can compare a hub dyno to a hub dyno, but nothing else. They are great for tuning and development because they rule out tire distortion as slip. As an example a Porsche i tune makes 526 at the hubs and 537 at the flywheel. Wheel power is at 443bhp on the Dyno.

Here, I am saying that a true 300bhp on a properly strapped Dyno Dynamics type Dyno is rare. I am saying this because i have dyno'd a lot - that are claiming over this - that do not make it. Surely you can understand that this is evidence to support it?

The car i have here now is making 247bhp, but it is only holding 0.6 bar at 6k so it is not a great example. I will slacken the straps shortly and see what the difference is.

Rick
Old 06-01-2017, 04:15 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

You can compare a hub dyno to a hub dyno, but nothing else. They are great for tuning and development because they rule out tire distortion as slip. As an example a Porsche i tune makes 526 at the hubs and 537 at the flywheel. Wheel power is at 443bhp on the Dyno.

Here, I am saying that a true 300bhp on a properly strapped Dyno Dynamics type Dyno is rare. I am saying this because i have dyno'd a lot - that are claiming over this - that do not make it. Surely you can understand that this is evidence to support it?

The car i have here now is making 247bhp, but it is only holding 0.6 bar at 6k so it is not a great example. I will slacken the straps shortly and see what the difference is.

Rick
I was present when a Mk2 rs was run at 400hp correctly and lossend straps helped it make 425hp and then went to another rr and made 450hp. It's still a 400hp car in my eyes and the map was pretty poor.
One of the main reasons I don't touch them is the industry that is around them and how the are modded.
It's easy to make more than they should but it's called living on the knock sensor and falling fuel pressure with pumps running out of flow. The owners don't know any better and the tuners should know better.

Mark
Old 06-01-2017, 04:55 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
I was present when a Mk2 rs was run at 400hp correctly and lossend straps helped it make 425hp and then went to another rr and made 450hp. It's still a 400hp car in my eyes and the map was pretty poor.
One of the main reasons I don't touch them is the industry that is around them and how the are modded.
It's easy to make more than they should but it's called living on the knock sensor and falling fuel pressure with pumps running out of flow. The owners don't know any better and the tuners should know better.

Mark
Karl norris said exactly the same thing to me going back 4 years ago now lol
Old 06-01-2017, 05:09 PM
RoryG25

Default MA Developments

Hi mark is "MA Developmens" still going?! If so maybe you could give me some advice on ECUs and mapping, I seem to remember that you had a rolling road?!
Old 06-01-2017, 05:13 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Mark Shead

Mark
It's why I don't tune them either unless specifically asked by someone I know. I cannot compete with people offering "330bhp" conversions. I have just done a couple of runs and filmed them showing the difference between strapped properly and not.

Rick
Old 06-01-2017, 05:21 PM
RoryG25

Ok I understand there's a lot of cheap offers. So nick what would you recommend as a ECU and Mapper you can PM me .
Old 06-01-2017, 05:45 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RoryG25
Hi mark is "MA Developmens" still going?! If so maybe you could give me some advice on ECUs and mapping, I seem to remember that you had a rolling road?!
I am still going. I have the mapping software I brought for my own Focus but I don't map them or work on them.
If you want it mapped I would recommend MSD to do it.

Mark
Old 06-01-2017, 06:24 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Car was run correctly strapped, straps over the front suspension arms were then removed, with cross straps and rear limiting strap left in place. 27 free ponies...

Rick
Old 07-01-2017, 09:10 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

im surprised as the differences in runs!
Old 07-01-2017, 09:17 AM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by GARETH T
im surprised as the differences in runs!
I am not. Very easy way to fake power. Always see a video of power run.

Mark
Old 08-01-2017, 05:35 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

it does show how much people can be deseeved
Old 08-01-2017, 09:53 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Run correctly strapped:

Next run is incorrectly strapped. This run is exaggerated in terms of movement, the straps are quite loose so you can see the roller climb. But the power difference is the same, you only need to be off the rear roller by 0.5 mm and you no longer have to overcome its inertia.

Rick
The following users liked this post:
GARETH T (09-01-2017)