General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

MSD Solid Beam Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 09:36 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Only people who can comment on weather it’s an issue or not is the people who make and sell them. If there was an issue but as there on lots of cars there isn’t lol but if there was a problem would have come to light and they would have been asked for a refund or solution. They obviously fault about them and designed them that way for a reason. Plus once bolted up to the floor the bush sandwiched round the beam 100% sits square to the floor on mine so is bottled up without issue
Old 04-04-2018, 09:41 AM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

I don't see the problem here. Trying to measure the height of a two piece versus a one piece is ridiculous.
once fitted the ally bushes locate top and bottom with the difference being left as a gap in the middle.

Used in rallying for years, was a group N mod originally.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:33 AM
Marc sierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by markk
I don't see the problem here. Trying to measure the height of a two piece versus a one piece is ridiculous.
once fitted the ally bushes locate top and bottom with the difference being left as a gap in the middle.

Used in rallying for years, was a group N mod originally.

Measuring the height is not ridiculous. There will indeed be a gap in the middle where the top and bottom part clamp on the subframe. But this should only be something like 2 mm. So this is not making up for the 2 cm difference in the total height. As a result the guide plate at the bottom will be bolted up too far and bend, which is clearly visible in Ajamesc's picture.

If other people are happy putting this on their car it doesn't bother me. But in my opinion it is not designed correctly so I am not putting it on my car. Mark has offered me a refund which is very decent of him, so I am happy too. I will leave it at this as we clearly have different opinions on what is a good design and what is not.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:37 AM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Marc sierra
Measuring the height is not ridiculous. There will indeed be a gap in the middle where the top and bottom part clamp on the subframe. But this should only be something like 2 mm. So this is not making up for the 2 cm difference in the total height. As a result the guide plate at the bottom will be bolted up too far and bend, which is clearly visible in Ajamesc's picture.

If other people are happy putting this on their car it doesn't bother me. But in my opinion it is not designed correctly so I am not putting it on my car. Mark has offered me a refund which is very decent of him, so I am happy too. I will leave it at this as we clearly have different opinions on what is a good design and what is not.
Why should it be 2mm? The gap does nothing other than prevent the 2 parts touching.

I've ran these on rally cars without issue. You are reading too much into the combined height. Fit them then measure the total height. Every beam has different wear/clearances.

Or just send them back and dont whine.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:46 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Its astounding that some of the people on here pay a fortune for modified beams then happy to wind in a large bolt by such a significant amount, causing the bolt and the mount to bend, and throw that beam all to kilter.

I only just clicked as to who supplies these to MSD and just to re iterate I would happily bolt their lovely group A RS500 suspension to my wheelbarrow! but the design of these needs changing to incorporate the step the OP shows. Its a simple fix.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:08 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Wear on earth are you getting this bolt and mount bent from? I’m in Basingstoke come look at mine nothing is bent
Old 04-04-2018, 03:54 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

I recall how you also failed to grasp that a wheel spacer of a certain size was physically impossible to be made hub centric!

Right, I would suggest you first look at exactly what the OP has posted.

-The pin in the centre of the Ford rubber mount is a fixed length, the top of it butts to the captured nut in the chassis, the base of it butts to the lower plate. That exact length means the plate then bolts exactly parallel to the chassis and so does the beam. The large bolt then simply keeps that in place under the correct torque and the rubber fills the gap totally.

-The pin of the solid beam mount the OP has is quite a lot shorter, so given that the two bolts at the front of the plate that attach to the chassis cannot move, the only thing that can take up the slack formed by the shorter solid mount is the big bolt. In doing so it raises/bends the plate in an arc relative to the two bolts on the chassis plate, rather than directly upwards, placing side loading into that bolt, not just torque.

-If yours/others solid beam mounts also have a shorter pin than the Ford rubber ones, then yours is doing the same, however if the pin on yours is the same length as the Ford rubber ones then the gap above it cannot be reduced and the top of the mount wont sit on both the chassis and the plate at the same time, hence the big gap remains.

-However if your solid mounts have a pin the same length as the Ford rubber ones and your mounts are the same thickness as the Ford rubber ones then it will mount correctly. The pictures suggest thought that is not the case.

-The OP and others are not stating that all solid mounts are shorter than they should be, just the ones in question here.

Now I cannot make it simpler than that!

I had the same issue years ago with some poly beam mounts which were thinner than the Ford rubber one and used a shorter pin, as soon as I realised what was happening then in the bin they went and they were replaced by new correct Ford ones. The poly ones were so much thinner that the big bolt was actually running out of thread and the captured nut was starting to strip its thread as a result whilst a gap still remained. I imagine that is why so many people end up knackering those captured nuts in the chassis doing the same thing.

Last edited by PAUL S; 04-04-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:59 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

No I wanted a certain size wheel spacer with a lip built into it that would fit inside my wheel in place of the removal but ring. Maybe I didn’t come across that well.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:13 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

There is no steel pin in the alloy mounts. Its a section machined to the top part purely for location.

I still cannot see any bent lower plate nor have i ever seen a bent lower plate with these fitted.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:28 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Take a look at the pic in post 17 it clearly shows the difference side by side.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:38 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by PAUL S
Take a look at the pic in post 17 it clearly shows the difference side by side.
No, post 17 shows a rubber insulator (a 1 piece) versus a 2 piece aluminum mounting.

The only sharing element being they fit in the same holes. The engineering principles are totally different. One is designed to insulate the occupants from as much NVH as possible by allowing compliance by using rubber.
The others are totally opposite. No compliance, no insulation from NVH and are engineered to fit with different parameters.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:57 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Well unless the law of physics is different up north they both need to fill the same parallel sized gap between the plate and the chassis! or they are not doing the same job to keep the beam straight regardless of what they are made from.

Last edited by PAUL S; 04-04-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:36 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

when you google search these bushes there is loads who have fitted them over the years and the guys above are using them in rally cars. Maybe they should do a product recall as they all have them fitted with bent bolts now
I’m happy with mine and don’t see any issues

Last edited by ajamesc; 05-04-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:45 AM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

I give up.

Last edited by Turbosystems; 07-04-2018 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Insult removed
Old 05-04-2018, 08:50 AM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by markk
I give up. You can't argue with stupid.
Funnily enough I had come to the same conclusion.

You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.

Anyone with half a brain can see the only way to close that significant gap produced by these particular solid beam mounts is for them not to sit parallel, thus bending the beam plate by taking up the slack with the bolt, causing the upper face of the solid mount not to sit parallel to the chassis and putting undue stress on the big bolt. FACT! whether you understand it or not, others reading this thread now do.

The OP and others have posted a fix, and pics to show the reasons why and I have detailed what is happening, if you pair are too blinkered to believe physics that's your problem. A pair of bolt on experts! keep buying the bling and the latest new fads gents and if I hear about a "stage car" on here one more time I will scream.

If Stu from MSD, Tony from Turbosystems, Mark Shead etc come onto the thread and detail why the OP and I are wrong then fair enough I would listen, their silence on the matter though is deafening.

Last edited by PAUL S; 05-04-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:19 AM
colins2
Regular Contributor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I honestly don’t see the problem, if the top tube is machined in to the solid mount once you put both parts on your beam surely the overall length would be the same as the rubber bush pin? fair enough there would be a space within the beam eye but that’s clamped together with the bolt.
Maybe MSD Mark and Tony are sitting laughing at this post
Old 05-04-2018, 10:10 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by colins2
I honestly don’t see the problem, if the top tube is machined in to the solid mount once you put both parts on your beam surely the overall length would be the same as the rubber bush pin? fair enough there would be a space within the beam eye but that’s clamped together with the bolt.
Maybe MSD Mark and Tony are sitting laughing at this post
That’s how I see it when there sandwiched around there location on the beam there be a gap in the middle and there end up the same height as the original.
The picture of them sat side by side on a table is meaningless
Old 05-04-2018, 10:23 AM
Marc sierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts

On the picture with them sat next to each other you can see that the tapered part on the original rubber bush is about the same height as the tapered part on the solid mount. So because of that it is clear that the cap between upper and lower part of the solid mount won't be far apart, which is why I said it will probably only be about 2 mm or something. So it will definetely not making up the 2 cm that the solid mount is lower than the original bush.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:09 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Paul

have you ever looked at an eggenberger beam ??

If its good enough for eggenberger , then its good enough for me and every other sierra
Old 06-04-2018, 10:13 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

The rubber is about the same heigh! It’s clear in the picture he says what utter rubbish lol and these guys talk like there really technical with long replies as to why there right. Ok then
Old 06-04-2018, 10:14 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

The following users liked this post:
ajamesc (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 10:15 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

That’s exactly the same as mine like in the picture I put up but my picture is a little dark. Apparently I’m told my mounting plate and bolt are bent
Old 06-04-2018, 10:16 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

The pictures above are Marks Bushes fitted to a gen group A touring car and they fit perfectly
Old 06-04-2018, 10:17 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Mine are msd but they look the same design
Old 07-04-2018, 11:17 AM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Paul that beam plate on the race car is sitting parallel to the chassis, so yes in that example it is completely correct.

However that is a very modified race beam designed for that exact application with solid mounts only and also its not a standard road shell either.

There in lies the issue, the height of the solid beam mounts as originally designed for such an application, if you fitted the Ford rubber mounts into that race beam then it would sit higher than it currently does, having the opposite problem to those fitting solid mounts to a road beam.

Facts are facts, sat side by side with a rubber beam mount there is a significant depth distance with the sold ones, I do not understand why people cannot see that. That difference does not simply vanish somewhere.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:25 AM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Paul can you measure the platform height from the chassis to the point where the 2 bolts mount the beam plate on that race car? and then measure the same distance on a standard road car platform.

I am hazarding a guess that the platform on the race car has been shortened to compensate for the shallower solid mount, allowing the beam plate to still sit parallel. It does look the case, but hard to confirm on a pic.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:23 PM
Loomer
Regular Contributor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Paul can you measure the platform height from the chassis to the point where the 2 bolts mount the beam plate on that race car? and then measure the same distance on a standard road car platform.

I am hazarding a guess that the platform on the race car has been shortened to compensate for the shallower solid mount, allowing the beam plate to still sit parallel. It does look the case, but hard to confirm on a pic.
Why would they modify the beam to compensate for a bush that they could have just made differently to save the agro of modifying the beam?
surely it would be easier just to make the part ,that they had to make anyway, fit properly if it doesn't?

Last edited by Loomer; 07-04-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:47 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Lol at this, stupidity at its best.

Last edited by markk; 10-04-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:40 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

The debate goes on

Last edited by Caddyshack; 07-04-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:22 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Paul

neither the beam or the shell on this car have been modded at all , they are exactly the same as a std road car .

If im honest Paul , i think you looking into it a bit to much , the position of the plates is not as important as you think , as long as the plates are there and bolted in then the beam cant move , and few MM up or down wont matter at all

Last edited by Mr RS500; 07-04-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:35 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Its not a few mm though Paul, its the thickness of the adapter plate the OP has made to take up the slack.

As you know they tried every trick in the book on those cars, making the bush thinner and shortening the platform would reduce the centre of gravity by the thickness of the adapter the OP has made. One of the biggest complaints bout the 500 was it was top heavy, they would have tried anything to get them lower.

I am trying to find a rational reason why the solid mounts are much thinner than the rubber ones. Its been done for a reason, otherwise they would be the same thickness.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:11 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

To clarify that I am not some textbook theorist or backstreet bodger, here is something I was building just today. 3 times the number of cylinders as a YB, all alloy, and putting out as standard even more bhp than a group A RS500. Tolerances of a few thou being checked, where a mm may as well be a mile!
Attached Thumbnails MSD Solid  Beam Mounts-20180405_123452.jpg  
Old 07-04-2018, 05:20 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

What is that Engine?
Old 07-04-2018, 05:54 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Loomer
Why would they modify the beam to compensate for a bush that they could have just made differently to save the agro of modifying the beam?
surely it would be easier just to make the part ,that they had to make anyway, fit properly if it doesn't?
Just seen your sig James has someone pulled you up for “advertising” ? Do they know you can do it all on Facebook for free and is the reason forums are dead?
Old 07-04-2018, 06:09 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Adam-M
Just seen your sig James has someone pulled you up for “advertising” ? Do they know you can do it all on Facebook for free and is the reason forums are dead?
I hate Facebook for finding out info, the forums are where it’s at for people helping people....I hope Facebook dies out and we return to forums.
3drRich (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 06:18 PM
Loomer
Regular Contributor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam-M

yeah I wasn’t even advertising. Someone asked a question about one of my Looms, I answered, and it got deleted because it was deemed that answering a question was me advertising
Old 08-04-2018, 12:00 AM
Turbo Zetec
Engine Machinist

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
What is that Engine?
ferarri v12 by the looks.
Caddyshack (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 03:42 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Turbo Zetec
ferarri v12 by the looks.
Spot on 575 Maranello updated to 612 spec.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:28 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Spot on 575 Maranello updated to 612 spec.
Where do you work (if that is a work photo). One of my friends has a 575m with the Fiorano pack on it and a 430, nice cars and the 575 has trebbled in value since he has owned it (rhd manual)
Old 08-04-2018, 09:13 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Its not going back into a 575, its heading for this little project instead. Been a while since I have tinkered on a cossie.
Attached Thumbnails MSD Solid  Beam Mounts-20160303_164800.jpg  

Quick Reply: MSD Solid Beam Mounts