General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Issues with my Focus

Search this Thread

Old 20-03-2015, 09:41 PM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't understand why people say that VAG, BMW, Mercs etc are so much more reliable than a Ford.

I deal with more dead German cars everyday than I do Fords.

One of my mates is really into his VAG stuff and he's always taking the piss out of my £800 Focus runabout yet my Focus has been 100% reliable yet every VAG car he's owned has had loads of issues and he's always having to do something or another to it!
Old 20-03-2015, 09:44 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

At least its not just me who thinks this vw are no better than other makes of car.
Old 20-03-2015, 09:46 PM
Luke Barnett
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford focus 1.8tdci 2008 Zetec please help

When am driving 2008 Ford Focus 1.8 tdci Zetec an I come to a set of lights .

When I start off in first gear some times not all the time the car starts to stutter an loss power for a split second then it's ok and the same wen I change to second gear anyone have any ideas wot it can be thanks
Old 20-03-2015, 09:55 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I would change the fuel filter first of all.

Does the engine light come on the dash? The egr valve might need a clean out.

Welcome to passion ford.
Old 20-03-2015, 10:13 PM
NobbyClark
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 82 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn_
At least its not just me who thinks this vw are no better than other makes of car.
I know many customers at work who have had endless, expensive problems on BMW's, Audi's and VW's. And these cars have been new and nearly new!!

My boss has had 5 BM's over the years and everyone has had lots of issues. His last one, a brand new X5 was horrendously problematic and without exaggeration, went back to the BM dealer with the same issue 9 times!!! A set of tyres lasted 10k miles. On one occasion, the rear tyres lasted 7k miles. The BM dealer said he doesn't have enough weight in the boot!!!

My boss's wife has a Golf, which they've had from new and is now 3 years old and only done 20k miles. It needs £2k's worth of work doing on it!!

So called "prestige" cars are very overrated! Yet all the people I know with Ford's have all commented how reliable they have been!

Last edited by NobbyClark; 20-03-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 20-03-2015, 10:13 PM
Luke Barnett
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its had a full service an I have cleaned the EGR
There is a light that comes on it Amber light like this

Old 21-03-2015, 09:37 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Friend of mine has a 4 year old A3. It's been back to audi god knows how many times with abs and esp faults, it went through a period of not starting, and she went out the other morning to it, both rear windows had lowered themselves and the near side front indicator was permanently stuck on. German shite lol
Old 21-03-2015, 12:11 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

German cars reliable, lol, go see how many happy bmw 1 series owners you can find
Old 21-03-2015, 02:59 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Some interesting stories here.

My dad has had 3 new cars in the past 2 year. He had a jag x type. Was a good car. Sold that and got a Audi A1 1.4 auto. He got a letter saying it had been recalled cause there was a problem with the auto transmission. The letter said the auto box can stop working and the car will just free wheel. He sold that and had a jag xf now.

A lad at work has just bought a audi A4, ok its not a major fault but it needs a new rear window cause when he puts the rear hested screen on the radio stops working.
Old 21-03-2015, 10:01 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

I don't think it's just German cars, I think it's modern cars in general. There's so much technology that I think all manufacturers are in a technology race that nothing's left long enough to sort out all the quirks as its gotta be put on the cars to out do the other guy and before u know it that new thing is obsolete anyway cause they've come up with something else. My grandad always used to say " never buy the first of anything" and he was right, when something new comes out there's always a problem be it televisions or computers etc. always best to leave it untill they've re done it a couple of times and ironed out all the kinks, but there changing so fast now there not bothering to iron out faults there just replacing it with something else. It's almost like there trying to re invent the wheel. It's like parking sensors, they laugh at work when I moan about modern technology but I always say if u need sensors in order to park a relatively small car then u shouldn't be driving. Such as lane warning sensors and auto wipers and auto lights, if your not sure that u need your lights on or if your in the proper lane or your not 100% sure if it's raining then may be time to hang up the driving gloves.

(Only joking of course)
Old 22-03-2015, 08:25 AM
NobbyClark

Originally Posted by gcfcos
I don't think it's just German cars, I think it's modern cars in general. There's so much technology that I think all manufacturers are in a technology race that nothing's left long enough to sort out all the quirks as its gotta be put on the cars to out do the other guy and before u know it that new thing is obsolete anyway cause they've come up with something else. My grandad always used to say " never buy the first of anything" and he was right, when something new comes out there's always a problem be it televisions or computers etc. always best to leave it untill they've re done it a couple of times and ironed out all the kinks, but there changing so fast now there not bothering to iron out faults there just replacing it with something else. It's almost like there trying to re invent the wheel. It's like parking sensors, they laugh at work when I moan about modern technology but I always say if u need sensors in order to park a relatively small car then u shouldn't be driving. Such as lane warning sensors and auto wipers and auto lights, if your not sure that u need your lights on or if your in the proper lane or your not 100% sure if it's raining then may be time to hang up the driving gloves.

(Only joking of course)
I feel the same way mate. If you need all of these parking sensors and the like, you shouldn't be driving!!

Also, I think nowadays people "have" to have climate this, heated that, and electric wotsits! Then after the novelty has worn off, they dont get used!!
Old 22-03-2015, 08:31 AM
stevos
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

I have parking sensors on my traffic but I wouldn't speck them on a car.
Same with the auto parking shite how can anyone that's passed their test not park a car.
Old 22-03-2015, 08:38 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by stevos
I have parking sensors on my traffic but I wouldn't speck them on a car.
Same with the auto parking shite how can anyone that's passed their test not park a car.

Auto parking to me would be to get out the car and say go find a parking space and park yourself.
Old 22-03-2015, 08:54 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by stevos
I have parking sensors on my traffic but I wouldn't speck them on a car. Same with the auto parking shite how can anyone that's passed their test not park a car.
Yeah I can totally understand having parking sensors on a van or a lorry it makes total sense, but on a car with a back window it seems crazy. Yeah I've seen that auto park, who's gonna be responsible when it hits something and u say in court "I just pressed auto park, it's the cars fault"
Old 22-03-2015, 09:14 AM
stevos

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by gcfcos
who's gonna be responsible when it hits something and u say in court "I just pressed auto park, it's the cars fault"
That's so true I never thought of that.
My van has auto lights and wipers also but that's part of the sport pack.
It was simpler days years ago as you say.
I miss my old ax gts and xr2s due to there simplicity. Cars these days are throw away items nearly if a diesel pump fails your pretty much better off getting a new car.
Old 22-03-2015, 09:05 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I seen this the other day which i thought was interesting

Name:  20141022_173805_zpsyilnbcc8.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  165.8 KB
Old 22-03-2015, 09:11 PM
NobbyClark

That is interesting Glenn!
Old 22-03-2015, 09:17 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

So stick your german cars up your ass and get a ford bought lol.

Only joking people.
Old 23-03-2015, 07:06 AM
Bailes1992

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I won't be buying another Ford again.
This Focus just damn near killed me. Pulled off on a roundabout and it just stuttered and hesitated and a lorry almost went into the side of me.
Old 23-03-2015, 07:42 AM
luke19790_3

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy a German car
Old 23-03-2015, 07:42 AM
luke19790_3

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any luck with the garage?
Old 23-03-2015, 10:09 AM
DangerousBryan

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The garages hands will be tied by Ford. They need to get there field engineer involved to escalate it.
Old 23-03-2015, 10:10 AM
Bailes1992

Originally Posted by luke19790_3
Any luck with the garage?
Keep telling me ford are considering it normal and to wait for a PCM Update.
I'm sure if the wheels were falling off them all they'd consider it normal because they were all doing it!
Old 23-03-2015, 10:25 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Ask for your money back then if its been in more than 3 times for the same fault they have to either give you another car or give you your money back.

Just cause you have had a bad do with one ford doesnt mean the rest of them are crap.

Last edited by Glenn_; 23-03-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:23 AM
Bailes1992

Within 24 hours of owning the car I noticed there was running issues. When changing gear the car revved itself as if your foot was still on the accelerator and I kept getting these pauses and bogging down when trying to accelerate.

I purchased the car on a Thursday and the following Monday I had to pop back into the dealer to pick up a free boot liner. At that moment in time I told the salesman I bought it off I was having issues.

Since then the car has spent 6 days on and off in Bridgend Ford and they haven't diagnosed, let alone rectify one issue!

Currently the faults list looks something like this...
  • Engine speed increases when clutch is depressed to change gear even though foot is off accelerator.
  • When driving at a constant speed with a low load on the engine for a few miles accelerating often makes the engine bog down or even feel like it's cutting out all together for a split second.
  • When pulling off the throttle sometimes becomes unresponsive. (This has caused me a few near misses pulling out onto busy dual carriageways and A roads.)
  • The frost warning lamp stays on for days on end even when the temperature has risen significantly. The frost warning lamp should only come on when the exterior temperature is 4°c or below.
  • Sometimes when driving at very slow speeds in 1st gear taking your foot off and on the accelerator can cause the car to pop out of 1st gear.
  • Passengers seat is loose and rocks.
  • Rust on the boot.
  • Dirt under the paint on the boot.
  • Dirt under paint on the rear bumper.
  • Dirt under paint on the bonnet.
  • Dirt under paint on the front O/S wing.
  • Paint defect on rear N/S door.
  • Paint Defect on rear N/S wing.

I got in touch with Ford Customer Relations about the issues with the car and got told the following.
If you wish to replace or reject the vehicle, you will need to speak directly with your point of sale as your contract of sale lies with them.
I took the car back in Friday to let them know I am not happy with the vehicle and I would like to reject it. I had been polite about it since day one but my temper has officially worn very thin.

I phoned the salesman who I purchased the car from who arranged for me to have a meeting with the sales manager at very short notice.

The sales manager was one of the rudest and most ignorant people I have ever met.
He sat in front of me with his arms folded and a childish grin on his face as if he knew he was causing me immense grief.
I need a car for work and Bridgend Ford charge £25/day for a courtesy car.
He spoke to me as if I knew nothing. He spoke to me like a child.
I was told under no circumstances would I be getting my money back nor a new car ordered. I was told that they want the car in for warranty work because Ford pay them for it.
When I mentioned I had an email of Ford explaining that if I wish to reject the vehicle I must take it back to the dealer he shrugged his shoulders and said "So? That's not happening".
I was also told the paint issues were considered acceptable because you had to look close to see them.

In the end while he was still talking to me I got up and left without saying a word otherwise I would have flipped and said something I regret.

I have been into Fords since I was in my early teens. In fact if it wasn't for my Dads pair of ST220's I would never have gotten into cars in the first place.

I will never buy another Ford and have lost all enthusiasm for the brand.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:58 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

If the Warranty work is being paid for by Ford, then they should pay for the courtesy car as well.

You need to let them have the car for the warranty work, they'll keep holding it against you if you don't.

If you aren't happy with the general attitude of the Sales Manager, ask to see the Managing Director Gary Pesticclo; (DON'T make any threats whilst you are there)

http://www.bridgendford.co.uk/about-us/team/
Old 12-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Bailes1992

I wouldn't make any threats anyway.

Unfortunatley ford won't pay for a courtesy car while diagnostics are being carried out.
6 days so far and yet to actually work out what's wrong.

I'm going to try reject the car through Ford Credit. If that fails I'll be booking it into another dealer.

I will never set foot in Bridgend Ford again unless it's to take the car back.

I'm actually driving around in the Missus C3 because my car is such a pig.
Old 21-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Bailes1992

So I finally had the chance to clean the car and check it all over carefully for defects. The paintwork is horrendous.
The service manager in Bridgend Ford told me I was being 'picky' and these were acceptable.

The car covered in masking tape...

Good news is the car is now in another dealer 40 miles away from home. They seem much happier to help and the guy from the bodyshop was utterly amazed the car managed to get through it's PDI like that.
Old 21-04-2015, 08:26 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Im glad you have found another ford dealer. Hopefully these will help you more than the other place

Im suprised at the paint work too.