General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cossie breather setup help

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Laec
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cossie breather setup help

So the car came setup with this breather on it. Pro Alloy Breather
I am not sure if it was setup right or if other engine wear was the reason for what seemed like a significant amount of oil coming out the atmosphere vent.
One of the top pipes was plugged the other is connected to the crank breather outlet on the right side of the block. The large bottom pipe is vented to atmosphere and the small braided line is hooked up to the oil port on the left side of the block just above the oil pan. To me it seems like that would also be under crankcase pressure? Is this setup properly or is something a miss?

Old 11-03-2015, 09:50 PM
jamie956
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

What your calling the oil port on the left is where the problem is, this is above the oil level in the sump so oil and gases will travel up it and into the breather can, as the filter/atmosphere vent is the only exit it will blow the fumes and oil out at that point.

The set up should be the top two ports connected to both sides of the block or one to the block one to the cam cover (I was told both to the block is best), the small outlet at the bottom return to sump below oil level or into a catch tank and the large outlet at the bottom to a filter.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:34 PM
Laec
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sure does! thanks for the quick feedback. im fairly certain the guy who installed it previous probably caused the lack of oil problems i found when tearing down the engine... a few of the bearings were kind of ugly and ready to go!!
Old 11-03-2015, 11:08 PM
jamie956
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I would lose the original breather can in the block as well, you can get fittings to go in the block so you can fit the hose straight on to it. The one to go in the threaded hole doesn't seam to be listed any more to be honest you only need a npt plug the right size drilled out with a piece of pipe welded to it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cosworth-S...item487bd242c3

While the engine is apart get a couple of fittings welded in to the sump so you can run a return line from the breather can, that way you wont lose any oil.
The following users liked this post:
Laec (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 11:44 PM
cossiestu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 150 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jamie956
While the engine is apart get a couple of fittings welded in to the sump so you can run a return line from the breather can, that way you wont lose any oil.
Got me thinking now, sure mines just venting to atmosphere? (Mirror image Bailey tank) Worrying now that it's not plumbed into the sump and it's loosing out the bottom!?