General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Supermarket fuel experiment

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 08:52 AM
3i Jim
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Supermarket fuel experiment

I've owned my mondeo st tdci for almost a year now and as a rule I've always used premium fuel in all my cars. The car is in great shape with no mechanical issues and is standard apart from h&r lowering springs.

This is my first diesel car and a few months ago I was caught short (out in the middle of nowhere) and had to fill up at Morrisons, which I wasn't keen on doing, but needs must btw I had ¼ of a tank left, but I don't like to run the tank into the red.

I got about 5 miles down the road and for the first time in my ownership the engine went into limp mode! So I turned it off and started it up and all was fine for a few miles. My car went into limp mode 4 times during that tank of supermarket fuel!

I fill up my car to the top once a week and it's in constant use up and down the motorway to and from work. So as an experiment I filled up with supermarket fuel once a month over the last 3 months. Tesco, sainsburys and Morrisons in that order. Every time it had supermarket fuel in, it would go into limp mode at least twice during that tank of fuel. Tesco's being the worse with the engine going into limp mode 6 times.

I know it's not the most scientific experiment but I'd like to know what people's experiences are with supermarket fuel. If my experience is anything to go by its pretty aweful stuff! Personally I'm starting to think supermarket fuel is responsible for the majority of diesel injector, pump failure etc.

Anyway, back to running the mondeo on the good stuff and it hasn't missed a beat
Old 08-02-2015, 09:02 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

I've been telling people this for years on here, no car of mine will ever have supermarket fuel, it lacks a lot of the additives in branded fuel, yes power may be the same but there's a lot more to it than just that.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:56 AM
24v4x4

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My Van 2008 Renault trafic will do over 650 miles to a tank of good diesel, if i use supermarket stuff(sainsburies seems worst) i get less than 600 miles to a tank full. Again not the most scientific way to test it due to different driving routes and loads etc. but after doing almost 130 000miles in the van i genuinely believe my findings are fairly correct.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:13 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

All our cars have used super market fuel in them,except the cossie and they have been fine.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:15 AM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by Glenn_
All our cars have used super market fuel in them,except the cossie and they have been fine.
Try running a cvh on it for 20k miles and inspect the head, then do it with branded , biiiig difference in the amount of coke
Old 08-02-2015, 10:27 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

No end of trouble down south with Tescos diesel. Just had it round the corner from my house with bad diesel and it was all over the news. Still got a row of dead mitsubushis at work needing new pumps and lines etc :-(
Old 08-02-2015, 10:29 AM
Fullflush
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

I used to have a 106 1.5d and I swear it would get more miles from a tank of Morrisons.

Got a 2.0tdi Golf now and if you put supermarket fuel in it, you can tell it runs worse, so I give it a wide bearth now
Old 08-02-2015, 10:52 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

I have noticed this too, technically the fuel comes from the same tanks at the same refineries, it is just the branded fuel tends to have the additives etc.

I always stay away from the supermarkets but on the rare occasions I have to use it, I notice a bit more diesel knock especially when cold and usually 50 or so miles less out of a fill up.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Had numerous issues in the past with Sainsburys petrol. My ex filled my A4 on their fuel and pinked like mad and was flat as a pancake. Got it down t ohalf and brimmed it with Shell and it improved and when I next filled in full with Shell it ran spot on. Heard a few people moan their cars ran rough after filling with Sainsburys unleaded
Old 08-02-2015, 11:22 AM
3i Jim

Shocking stuff really. I always fill up with shell or esso. The wife always puts bloody supermarket crap in her diesel focus and it's so up and down to drive. I had to use it for a couple of weeks to and from work using shell and it ran so much better. The wife was amazed by how good it ran. But she still puts that crap in it. Bloody women!
Old 08-02-2015, 11:37 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

My pajero only runs on morisons diesel
Old 08-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Never had an issue with my old Navara or ford fusion Running on Tesco diesel.

my bmws fine on Tesco petrol

and the cossy loves the Tesco 99 stuff.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:53 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Fil
Never had an issue with my old Navara or ford fusion Running on Tesco diesel. my bmws fine on Tesco petrol and the cossy loves the Tesco 99 stuff.
Yeah to be fair cause Tesco is pretty much opposite my house and there's not a shell for at least 15 miles I have to use the Tesco 99 in the Cossie. There is an esso a few miles up the rd that if I'm going that way I'll use it instead, and it's cheaper than Tesco at the mo!! Only thing I get worried with esso is they offer Tesco clubcard points and our other local Tescos supermarkets all have esso petrol stations in them????
Old 08-02-2015, 11:58 AM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Fuel is fuel ??? As said above ive used alsorts and never had any problems

Same as most things ,just a name .

If I use shell optimax in the RS4 I don't notice any difference
Old 08-02-2015, 02:49 PM
stevos

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

I be had two renault traffics now from brand new and they have both done over 120k on supermarket fuel only and never had any issues with either of them same as the guys I work with we only use supermarkets as its cheaper.
On the od occation I have been caught out in the rs and put sainsburys 99 in it and it actually idles better and runs better than with shell v power

Last edited by stevos; 08-02-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:02 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

What i don't buy into is the super diesel, how is that any better?
Supermarket unleaded has always proven worse on mpg and power for me, not worth me travelling any further than the local shell for fuel. I suspect the same from regular diesel, yet to prove that though.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:15 PM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 327 Likes on 306 Posts

Only use supermarkets for deisel no probs do 50k a year only use shell for the cossie
We do work on refineries and fuels are blended to customer requirements so i doubt supermarkets would bother to much about quality but personally had no probs my focus tdci did over 200k befor pump died
Old 08-02-2015, 07:42 PM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never had any issues with supermarket fuel in any of my petrol or diesel cars.

As said above, the fuel mostly comes from the same big storage tanks for nearly all the suppliers. How do I know? I used to work on the fuel depots a lot.

Shell use their own specific additives. The diesel additives for the majority of the other brands is generic.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:48 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Where I work we fill the tankers with fuel that's delivered to forecourts I can assure you it all comes out of the same tank!
I'm not naming names apart from I see Tesco tankers a lot there!

steve
Old 08-02-2015, 08:02 PM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by The Youth.
Where I work we fill the tankers with fuel that's delivered to forecourts I can assure you it all comes out of the same tank!
I'm not naming names apart from I see Tesco tankers a lot there!

steve
Steve, the other terminals down the road supply EVERY brand from the same tanks.
The following users liked this post:
The Youth. (08-02-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 08:20 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Sainburys is BP. I fill both the focus and the galaxy have done for years with no issues both are petrol.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:22 PM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

Sainsburys don't fill from BP exclusively, I can guarantee you that!
Old 08-02-2015, 08:25 PM
It's Czech Mate

They can all come from the same tank, the additives however are added at delivery as its pumped into the station tank. There are differences
Old 08-02-2015, 08:48 PM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

The additives are injected when the tankers are loaded at the fuel depots.

I used to install/commission the systems that do this.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:19 PM
3i Jim

Originally Posted by plynchy
The additives are injected when the tankers are loaded at the fuel depots.

I used to install/commission the systems that do this.
does the supermarket fuel have the same amount of additives as the premium brands?
Old 08-02-2015, 09:28 PM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

I've only ever seen Shell/BP use their own specific additives.

The additives, as far as I know, cost a bloody fortune relative to the fuel. Can't say who uses what, but i've seen almost every brand of diesel using the same additive tank and system. If the additives are over batched that's when the problems occur, remember the Morrisons issues in the SE a few years ago killing lambda sensors? Over dosed additives.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:52 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

i read something a while back and it was this test that was done on fuels. i cant remember the exact figures but good fuel has about 15 additives and supermarket fuel was tested to have 7 or less. it was along those lines so dont quote me.

i know of 2 people close to me so not chinese whispers who had breakdowns due to supermarket fuel. one friend had a £1500 payout as ther was a big case of bad supermarket fuel a few yrs back. the other had the tank drained by the AA as car broke down. a refil of good fuel and all was fine.

i use supermarket fuel almost never. iv aslso spoke to a few people with diesel injector problems and when you ask them where they fill up its almost always supermarkets.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:25 AM
alistairolsen

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done quarter of a million miles on a mix of fuel from wherever was closest at the time, in a range of cars and never had any problems related to fuel quality whatsoever.

My current car has done 50k since I got it, generally on tesco or Asda diesel.

I can see there may be a longevity argument, although thats tenuous at best, but if your car is dropping into limp home on road fuel meeting uk standards then theres something wrong with it.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:01 PM
strada84
Regular Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Shell fuels only.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by alistairolsen
if your car is dropping into limp home on road fuel meeting uk standards then theres something wrong with it.
The car's at fault because filling up at a particular place makes it pink and drop into limp? Does common sense and logic not indicate that the fuel is the more probable cause?
Old 09-02-2015, 03:36 PM
alistairolsen

Originally Posted by Oranoco
The car's at fault because filling up at a particular place makes it pink and drop into limp? Does common sense and logic not indicate that the fuel is the more probable cause?
Provided the fuel has met the minimum standards to which vehicle manufacturers design, then one can only conclude the vehicle was faulty.

Of course any supplier can be subject to a contaminated batch of fuel, but to write off all supermarkets on the basis of the subjective evidence provided is nonsense.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:42 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

I'm just going to say yes as I fear this will be like ice skating up a hill.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:59 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Audi A4 2.0 TDi

Had over a year now and i only use BP or Tesco (mostly Tesco) and i don't see any difference in power to MPG so maybe its all in the mind
Old 09-02-2015, 06:11 PM
caprixpack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've never had any issues using tesco 99, the 924 runs better on momentum than it does on shell vpower
Old 09-02-2015, 06:39 PM
3i Jim

I forgot to mention my mondeo will spin the wheels in 3rd on damp greasy roads in the winter. However it wouldn't spin up in 3rd with supermarket fuel. I know it's very unscientific but I feel there's a connection in performance between supermarket and branded fuel. I've heard diesel has to have a minimum of 10% biofuel mixed in for it to comply with eu legislation and that branded fuel only put the minimum required. However supermarkets like to add around 15% biofuel (watering it down) Biofuel fuel is a living substance that can form a fungus/sludge in the fuel tank. I could be wrong though. Why is it you only hear of bad batch fuel at supermarkets and not at the branded petrol stations?
Old 09-02-2015, 07:08 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by 3i Jim
I Why is it you only hear of bad batch fuel at supermarkets and not at the branded petrol stations?
This is true
Old 10-02-2015, 08:21 AM
alistairolsen

Originally Posted by 3i Jim
I forgot to mention my mondeo will spin the wheels in 3rd on damp greasy roads in the winter. However it wouldn't spin up in 3rd with supermarket fuel. I know it's very unscientific but I feel there's a connection in performance between supermarket and branded fuel. I've heard diesel has to have a minimum of 10% biofuel mixed in for it to comply with eu legislation and that branded fuel only put the minimum required. However supermarkets like to add around 15% biofuel (watering it down) Biofuel fuel is a living substance that can form a fungus/sludge in the fuel tank. I could be wrong though. Why is it you only hear of bad batch fuel at supermarkets and not at the branded petrol stations?
No, biofuel isnt a living substance, its a chemical.

No it wont grow sludge in your tank, however diesel bug can http://www.howcleanisyouroil.com/DIESEL-FUEL-BUG

No, it's not "watering it down", biofuel is a viable fuel in its own right if it's made to the correct standards.

I've seen/heard of/had bad fuel from both to be honest with you.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:33 AM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

Fatty Acid Methyl Ester, that's biodiesel.

Horrible stuff, and surprisingly corrosive.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:35 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

there is something that some diesel does when it turns to a black sludge, admitadly we run red diesel in our dozers but ive had to remove and clean out 3 fuel tanks so far and they have been blocked up with a sludgy type substance ?
Old 10-02-2015, 09:48 AM
3i Jim

Anyway, I'd rather pay the extra couple of pence a litre and put the decent stuff in my tank. Supermarket fuel is shit. The only reason people use it is because they're fucking tight. I've never had a problem with branded fuel, unlike the supermarket crap.

Quick Reply: Supermarket fuel experiment