General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Dash Cams "talk to me"

Search this Thread

Old 14-02-2015, 09:49 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

Upload failed to youtube and photo bucket.

Strange one that.
Old 14-02-2015, 10:09 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Just watched some of them videos. Im not claimimg to be the best driver but some of them drivers are shocking.

There things i hate about other drivers
1 Indicators, no fooker uses them.
2 Roundabouts. There round for a reason. If your going straight on stay in the left lane dont cut across into the right lane and go across the roundabout.
3. People who sit in the middle and fast lanes of the motorway when there is nothing in the slow lanes.
Old 14-02-2015, 03:52 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-4051537672001
Old 14-02-2015, 08:29 PM
220tel
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

watch out when you chop the supplied cable as a lot of the cameras are 5v not 12v as they are mini usb. i got a cigarette lighter extension and cut the end off of that then hard wired that to ignition live and plugged the original dash cam lead into that.
Old 14-02-2015, 09:01 PM
SMILER258
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I've got a Mobius action camera with mount etc, all in cost something like Ł80 but the picture quality is fantastic, and I've used it a few times to watch over ''incidents.''

Got a clip of my friend reversing quickly next to a wall and removing his wing mirror in the process too.
Old 14-02-2015, 09:17 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Question for the GS8000 users - received mine today and can't really use it yet as no memory card yet, but playing with the menu's, looks like the loop record function has four settings - off, 1 min, 3 min, 10 min. I was under the impression it would just keep recording till the card is full then begin writing over it, but can't see that option?
Old 14-02-2015, 09:18 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

that will be file length.
Old 14-02-2015, 09:23 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Well it's under the "loop record" menu setting - press that menu and it takes you to the four options of off, 1, 3 or 10 mins. So unless off means it will record non stop til the card is full, then overwrite it from the beginning?

More annoyingly, Ford decided the best thing to do with the Transit is give both 12v fag sockets a permanent live. Great for charging my phone while at work, useless for the camera's auto on/off function
Old 14-02-2015, 09:29 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by Thrush
Question for the GS8000 users - received mine today and can't really use it yet as no memory card yet, but playing with the menu's, looks like the loop record function has four settings - off, 1 min, 3 min, 10 min. I was under the impression it would just keep recording till the card is full then begin writing over it, but can't see that option?
What other way would you like it to operate ? That's standard for all such cameras.

If it recorded as one big file....it would be a ballix or almost impossible to use.

A typical 5min file on mine varies between 3-400meg at 720P/60fps
Old 14-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

No idea, because I've never had any kind of video camera, other than the one built into my phone, but never a constantly recording one. So then I take it if I set to 1 min, every 60 seconds it will start a new file, but not overwrite the first one. So I could fill the card with as many 1 min long video files as it's capacity will allow? Likewise set to 3 mins, it will fill the card with as many 3 min video files as the card can take, and same for 10 min. So what if it's set to off? It just fills to card to capacity in one file, then overwrites it?
Old 14-02-2015, 09:50 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

No idea, because I've never had any kind of video camera, other than the one built into my phone, but never a constantly recording one. So then I take it if I set to 1 min, every 60 seconds it will start a new file, but not overwrite the first one. So I could fill the card with as many 1 min long video files as it's capacity will allow? Likewise set to 3 mins, it will fill the card with as many 3 min video files as the card can take, and same for 10 min. So what if it's set to off? It just fills to card to capacity in one file, then overwrites it?
No idea if there is an off feature ? Pretty sure any I've had before, that simply wasnt an option, and certainly a feature you'd never want.

One huge file would be totally impractical.

But yes, it will save multiple files of whatever length you select, and when full start overwriting the oldest files....and so it continues.
Old 14-02-2015, 10:02 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

it will record in 1,3 or 10 min clips but once the card is full you need to format it as it doesnt start from beginning and record over old footage
i can get around 3hrs footage with mine set to 720
Old 14-02-2015, 10:12 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by JamboRS
it will record in 1,3 or 10 min clips but once the card is full you need to format it as it doesnt start from beginning and record over old footage
That's a bit shit ? So you need to manually do that to keep it recording ?
Old 14-02-2015, 10:53 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
That's a bit shit ? So you need to manually do that to keep it recording ?
Only when the cards full.
Ive purchased a new one which has rear view aswell not tested it yet
Old 14-02-2015, 11:08 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

No idea if there is an off feature ? Pretty sure any I've had before, that simply wasnt an option, and certainly a feature you'd never want.

One huge file would be totally impractical.

But yes, it will save multiple files of whatever length you select, and when full start overwriting the oldest files....and so it continues.
There is definitely an "off setting". I got the other numbers wrong, it's off, 3, 5 and 10 mins

Well that's gonna be crap, because I'm gonna fill me card probably before my day is through, as I'm at work for 8hrs, and as I've just realised - the cig sockets in the van are permanent live, so it won't switch on and off when I arrive and depart jobs
Old 14-02-2015, 11:23 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

There is definitely an "off setting". I got the other numbers wrong, it's off, 3, 5 and 10 mins

Well that's gonna be crap, because I'm gonna fill me card probably before my day is through, as I'm at work for 8hrs, and as I've just realised - the cig sockets in the van are permanent live, so it won't switch on and off when I arrive and depart jobs
Drop the quality and it will run all day. Ive got mine on 720. 480 would prob last all day
Old 14-02-2015, 11:27 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Little sense buying a camera to catch images that are useful and of quality...only to run the camera at low quality and risk losing detail.

Just wire in a ciggy socket or USB adaptor into a ignition switched 12v supply, and use a camera/card that allows you to record enough.
Old 14-02-2015, 11:48 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Little sense buying a camera to catch images that are useful and of quality...only to run the camera at low quality and risk losing detail.

Just wire in a ciggy socket or USB adaptor into a ignition switched 12v supply, and use a camera/card that allows you to record enough.
480 is hardly poor quality. Its plenty to watch back on a laptop. Not as if your watching it back on a 55inch led tv

I only bought mine as my car got bumped while at the gym so i record while im there,shopping and driving around. While its parked on my drive or at work i dont need to as cctv is watching it

Only last saturday i was hit by a car reversing. This is vital evidence for me to forward to my insurance and makes the claim process much easier. Without it its my word against theres

Last edited by JamboRS; 14-02-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old 14-02-2015, 11:54 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

The whole point of a camera is to use as evidence if need be.

If it is crap or poor quality you may lose detail, unable to read a registration etc etc. So in that respect the difference between 480 and 720 could be a lot.
Especially if the vehicle is travelling the other direction.

It isnt about the size of TV you want to watch it on.

Hence I see 720P and 60FPS as the best all rounder. Still HD quality and if the footage needs slowed or frame by frame, there will be more detail there.
Old 15-02-2015, 12:57 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

almost all decent cameras will loop and record over old footage once the card is full. Bit wierd otherwise.

You only fill the disk up if you are retarded enough to use the g shock functions that lock a video on sensing a bump. On our roads they simply dont work and end up locking all recordings.
Old 15-02-2015, 01:32 AM
Mister G
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1-PD
few on ebay or chop the OE power cord up, as I intend to hard wire in as well on my focus as lucky for me my int light also had a ign switched live as I installed a auto dim dip rear view mirror
That's gonna be the plan for me, add in kit and run the cable under the headlining and down the a-pillar I think.

Thanks both.

Last edited by Mister G; 15-02-2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old 15-02-2015, 06:31 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

They should all record over the old files but if the g sensor goes off or you manually save a file that one will not be recorded over. On the G1W I believe it's the bottom right button to save / protect that file and shows a key on te screen to show its locked.

If it doesn't record over the old files then it isn't loop recordin.
Old 15-02-2015, 07:25 AM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

The whole point of a camera is to use as evidence if need be.

If it is crap or poor quality you may lose detail, unable to read a registration etc etc. So in that respect the difference between 480 and 720 could be a lot.
Especially if the vehicle is travelling the other direction.

It isnt about the size of TV you want to watch it on.

Hence I see 720P and 60FPS as the best all rounder. Still HD quality and if the footage needs slowed or frame by frame, there will be more detail there.
Ive recorded in 480 and its perfectly fine to see registration plates on playback on my laptop. As i said 480 isnt poor quality,its just not as good as 720.

You seem to be looking for a debate/argument over it. I dont make these cameras im merely saying if you want to record for long periods of time then you need to lower the quality after all its only a 32gb card so at 720 its not going to give you days of recording. Ive had the g1w and gs8000 and both have not looped over the earliest recording and even if they did its no use if something happens to your car and your not in it and it loops back over it.
As said above it does the job for me. It records when im in the gym,shopping and when im driving and it caught someone reversing into my car so Ł30 well spent
Old 15-02-2015, 07:43 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If something happens to your car and you don't notice early enough before its looped over (on the slight chance it was recording) then tough shit really.

Update the firmware if it's not loop recording. May cure it.

I'll have to wait and see if mine loops.
Old 15-02-2015, 07:54 AM
STeve

Received 867 Likes on 695 Posts

I have been using a mates G1W until mine comes, it loops just fine and there is settings if activated to save files that cant be re-wrote over but listening to techmoans analisis of this feature he said you can diasable it, I suggest those driving all day long as a job lower down the res and have a 2nd sd card for peace of mind as some have already stated
The following users liked this post:
JamboRS (15-02-2015)
Old 15-02-2015, 07:58 AM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

I have been using a mates G1W until mine comes, it loops just fine and there is settings if activated to save files that cant be re-wrote over but listening to techmoans analisis of this feature he said you can diasable it, I suggest those driving all day long as a job lower down the res and have a 2nd sd card for peace of mind as some have already stated
Bit shit they only support 32gb cards. Has anyone tried a bigger card to see if it works.
Ill check my settings see why mines isnt looping but it does me for the small time im in the car
Old 15-02-2015, 08:02 AM
STeve

Bit shit they only support 32gb cards. Has anyone tried a bigger card to see if it works.
Ill check my settings see why mines isnt looping but it does me for the small time im in the car
my mates I am using is running a 64g card and not noticed any side effects yet but I simply followed advice when buying my own and bought a class 6 32g
Old 15-02-2015, 08:05 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Seen on a dash cam forum many using 64gb with no issues.

I'll keep the g1w for the car and get a wifi one for work for ease of getting footage off of it and uploading as this has been an issue already for me.
Old 15-02-2015, 10:05 AM
steanlol
PassionFord Regular

Well i've just purchased a G1W cam from E-prance via Amazon so we'll see if its as good as it looks on techmoan's review
I ended up with a blue one tho which I think may not be very stealth so looks like i'll have to remove it every time I leave the car
Was hoping to mount it up behind the mirror but having a Seat Lean the wipers miss that bit so maybe just underneath it will do
Delivery is quoted as march/april but if its a genuine one then all's good
Will reply when its here as to how good it is .
Old 15-02-2015, 10:13 AM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

my mates I am using is running a 64g card and not noticed any side effects yet but I simply followed advice when buying my own and bought a class 6 32g
Originally Posted by Carlos-Titx
Seen on a dash cam forum many using 64gb with no issues.

I'll keep the g1w for the car and get a wifi one for work for ease of getting footage off of it and uploading as this has been an issue already for me.
Think ill order a 64gb card and try it.
Old 15-02-2015, 10:25 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Think ill order a 64gb card and try it.
I played safe with a 32.

Mines behind my mirror but it's quite visible imo.
I'm going to open it up and remove the silver lense collar (4 small screws on the inside) and spray it or brush it black and cover the logo and light lense as well.

Name:  E965F589-FD0D-408B-9E06-31C4CB811E1D_zpstrh4peot.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  121.8 KB
Old 15-02-2015, 10:37 AM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

I played safe with a 32.

Mines behind my mirror but it's quite visible imo.
I'm going to open it up and remove the silver lense collar (4 small screws on the inside) and spray it or brush it black and cover the logo and light lense as well.

Ive got a 32gb the now so ill try the 64gb. If it doesnt work then ill just use it to keep pics on

Heres mine

Name:  F0003FD7-1AB4-471F-AFD1-C0FF247A7BA3_zpswtcizohh.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  68.5 KB
Old 15-02-2015, 10:40 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I couldn't get mine to keep suction on the black area of the window.
Think I need to try again as its a bit more hidden in your picture.
Old 15-02-2015, 10:51 AM
steanlol
PassionFord Regular

Yep that silver bezel does need a tone down and maybe a black wrap is on the cards too
Old 15-02-2015, 11:07 AM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

I couldn't get mine to keep suction on the black area of the window.
Think I need to try again as its a bit more hidden in your picture.
Lick it
Old 15-02-2015, 11:10 AM
STeve

Heres mine

even have my suction mount in same place on my focus and run power cable up into where I hooked up the auto dim mirror wiring
Old 15-02-2015, 11:17 AM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

even have my suction mount in same place on my focus and run power cable up into where I hooked up the auto dim mirror wiring
Ive got the hard wire kit and hooking it upto a rocker switch so i can just switch it on when i need it and off when im at work and home
Old 15-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I couldn't get mine to keep suction on the black area of the window. Think I need to try again as its a bit more hidden in your picture.
Neither could I, so I just stuck a little bit of Perspex on the inside with double sided tape and stuck the holder to that

Dash Cams "talk to me"-image-2087868175.jpg
Old 15-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Neither could I, so I just stuck a little bit of Perspex on the inside with double sided tape and stuck the holder to that

Attachment 5753
That's not a bad idea. I'll try that next.

Out in a minute and I'll pick up some black paint and do an after shot once done.
Old 15-02-2015, 01:09 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

If you wanted to spend a couple quid to make it tidier, then just get one of these

http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-audi...-mounting-disc

But I couldn't be arsed It's only a work van

Quick Reply: Dash Cams "talk to me"