General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

MOT Testers

Search this Thread

Old 17-01-2015, 03:56 PM
Fast Guy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default MOT Testers

Part of the test seems to be rocking the top of the wheel while it's on the ground. How hard are you supposed to do this?

I'm only asking because this test made an upper suspension arm balljoint knock/move when it wouldn't do it with the wheel in the air. When I tried it I got a very slight knock but only if I pushed and pulled the wheel in sequence. With the upper arm in my hand I'm getting the slightest bit of movement if I try very hard. While driving the car you couldn't notice it was worn at all and I've driven cars with worn ball joints before.

The guy who did the MOT is probably 6'2 20+stone and very strong, the ramp posts must have been rocking 2-3 inches at the top minimum. I'm just wondering if one of the smaller testers had done the same test whether it would have shown up the same.
Old 17-01-2015, 04:44 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

If its on the turn plates when doing this then it will show wear up that isn't apparent when jacked up.
Old 17-01-2015, 04:52 PM
Fast Guy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by studabear
If its on the turn plates when doing this then it will show wear up that isn't apparent when jacked up.
It was actually in front of the turn plates at the time. It was grab it at 10 and 2 O'clock and rock it for all it was worth from what I could see.
Old 19-01-2015, 05:47 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Guy
Part of the test seems to be rocking the top of the wheel while it's on the ground. How hard are you supposed to do this?

I'm only asking because this test made an upper suspension arm balljoint knock/move when it wouldn't do it with the wheel in the air. When I tried it I got a very slight knock but only if I pushed and pulled the wheel in sequence. With the upper arm in my hand I'm getting the slightest bit of movement if I try very hard. While driving the car you couldn't notice it was worn at all and I've driven cars with worn ball joints before.

The guy who did the MOT is probably 6'2 20+stone and very strong, the ramp posts must have been rocking 2-3 inches at the top minimum. I'm just wondering if one of the smaller testers had done the same test whether it would have shown up the same.

It's a good job then you had a tester spot the worn component. Could be dangerous driving a car that weighs more than 20 stone around on it !
Old 19-01-2015, 06:55 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

to be fair if a human can half rip your wheel off or damage any suspension componant then it was already fucked.