General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

using car foam

Search this Thread

Old 15-01-2015, 12:37 PM
600bhp
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using car foam

Not used it yet just wondering do people still use a mitt to rub it in or is there no need with the foam just unshore how it works
Old 15-01-2015, 01:44 PM
RSMK4TURBO
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 97 Likes on 94 Posts

If you mean snow foam all you do is leave it on car and it will take loose dirt grit off and loosen up to more ingrained dirt before rinsing it off with hose. Its only a pre wash before washing your car with shampoo as normal.
You will need the foam injector and bottle to produce the proper foam.
Old 15-01-2015, 02:12 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

I have only used it a few times when i borrowed it off a mate when i detailed my old impreza.

that must have been kept under trees or something as the amount of black shit that would come out from under the roof gutter plastic bits was unreal. the snow foam seemed to work pretty well at getting this out where normal washing wouldnt touch it

it was only after a few uses that my mate wanted it back to find that i had used half of his 5L bottle... apparently you are supposed to dilute it

still, it done the job lol
Old 15-01-2015, 02:13 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,032 Likes on 945 Posts

And still use a 2 bucket system with grit guards.

Snow foam with a lance, jetwash off. Clean bucket for soap with the mit and then rinse in the rinse bucket each time.

I then used a waffle to dab dry before properly drying with a drying towel and then a quick going over with microfibre for the last bits of moisture.

Sounds complicated but is fast, easy and doesnt cause swirls or scrathces
Old 15-01-2015, 06:04 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

When ive used snow foam in the past it doesnt seem to shift the dirt. I have to go back over the car with a wash mit to get the dirt off. Also it makes my rubbers on my car go shity.
Old 15-01-2015, 07:25 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

What snow foam did you use Glenn?
Old 17-01-2015, 12:04 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,032 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn_
When ive used snow foam in the past it doesnt seem to shift the dirt. I have to go back over the car with a wash mit to get the dirt off. Also it makes my rubbers on my car go shity.
That doesn't sound right, snow foam should be gentle, that's the point.

TFR (traffic film remover) would do that to the bumpers but it is good for a hard one off clean to shift stuff like the dirt mentioned above and to strip the car of all old waxes etc before a deep clean....it does kill the plastics though in high concentrations.
Old 18-01-2015, 10:04 AM
oibren85
If in Doubt Flat Out...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quite a lot of people use the foam too thick where you want it to move. Mates have used mine and its so thick it just sits there. You want to make sure that it does move and is diluted as such. I tend to spray it thick and then my second time round the car adjust to make it a little more watery so it moves the foam. Idea being that it runs down the car and takes the loose dirt off. Again, its not a substitute for using a mitt and buckets, its just helps make that easier and helps prevent swirls and light scratching.

Not sure what Snow Foam you used Gleen, but in all my time of using it its never turned any bumpers or rubbers to go shitty.
Old 19-01-2015, 09:08 PM
JasonPD
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

quite often folk expect too much from a snow foam. A gentle ph neutral foam will loosen dirt prior to the wash stage but not remove heavy traffic film etc. on cars that have stood under a tree for years then something more agreesive would be better (citrus pre wash or similar). Used safely, a traffic film remover or all purpose cleaner through the lance will shift a lot more but also eat away at waxes and can certainly stain plastics/rubbers etc if left to dry. As stated above, all these are pre washes and are done prior to your bucket job.