General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

New Scams when selling a car.

Search this Thread

Old 13-01-2015, 01:15 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 398 Likes on 362 Posts
Angry New Scams when selling a car.

Hi , I have just sold my Daughters Toyota MRs on e-bay, it seems to be the only place where you dont seem so likely to get lowlifes trying to scam you. Had it on Gumtree and Autotrader and I had 5 attempted scams. Most of them seem to be where you get a text message from someone who says he is not local but he will pay your full asking price on Pay-pal and get his agent to pick the car up, or a text message asking you to e-mail them or phone them on an 0845 number. What has happened to the old fashioned honest way people used to do to sell a car!!!!
Old 13-01-2015, 01:22 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

nothing new about them scams, very common, and you've been lucky with ebay as that was the main place for these people to get involved, as they steal an acount with good feedback, so they look more honest!
Old 13-01-2015, 01:24 PM
xr2mk2turbo
PassionFord Regular

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Unfortunately there is a lot these days, if they didn't work they wouldn't do them, many people are ni eave to these sort of things.
Old 13-01-2015, 01:45 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Genuinely couldn't believe that a mate of mine fell for a scam recently. Paid £8000 for a car without seeing it and awaited for it to arrive to inspect with the option of supposedly sending back if it wasn't up to scratch and, of course, it never materialised. Was staggered he fell for it and wish he had mentioned it to me!
Old 13-01-2015, 07:21 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

As above, people do get suckered in to these scams so they just bombard everyone and some will bite.

My mates misses get taken for £2k on a Western Union 'Mystery shopper' scam hahah, whilst scamming her, they quickly tried to get her again on the same scam for £4k before the first scam became apparent but the £4k attempt unsettled her and she then uncovered the first scam but was too late.

Just have to keep your wits about you and not get taken in buy tempting offers. I can see the appeal in trading in, i did it last time and was so easy to drive in the old and drive out the new but you pay for the privillage.
Old 13-01-2015, 07:43 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

How can anyone get taken by western union money scams this day and age?

The only places you can use it are in third world shit holes and in "scum class" pay day loan shops.

Western union is ONLY used by scammers and criminals in the west.

The only honest people using western union are too poor to have access to a real bank in third world countries, and hence would have no use for a car or any other western goods or services.
The following users liked this post:
anthony lea (16-01-2015)
Old 14-01-2015, 05:58 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

It was a few years back but the deal was, she is sent a cheque for £2300 that she puts in her bank, waits five days to clear and then when the funds are cleared she takes £2k out in cash and makes a transfer via Western Union and then completes a customer satisfaction survery and keeps the £300.

This was clearly a scam, but she thought that with the funds having cleared in her account, all was well.

Turns out that it was not a uk cheque and so not covered by 2-4-6 rule and as such can take weeks to actually clear. 2 weeks later her bank call and say that cheque was dud so we are taking back out £2300 we gave you.

She couldn't grasp that the £2300 was her banks cash, lent to her until they got it off the payee, and so could take it back, where as her £2k cash transfer was HER money and was gone! She had to be interviewed by the old bill and all sorts and the bank gave little support other than an offer of a high interest loan to pay them back via.

Trending Topics

Old 14-01-2015, 06:18 PM
Berty84
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my sisiter sold a car on ebay the other week to a woman overseas... a foreigner turned up in a huge car transporter clutching a wad of money and couldnt speak a word of english.. we rang the woman who could just about speak english to ask whats goin on she said its all legit so we had details for log book over the phone and we sold the car for the full asking price then the bloke put it on the truck and didnt even check the car over... very strange indeed if you ask me but we wasnt moaning easiest car we have ever sold
Old 14-01-2015, 07:03 PM
russ rs
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Berty84
my sisiter sold a car on ebay the other week to a woman overseas... a foreigner turned up in a huge car transporter clutching a wad of money and couldnt speak a word of english.. we rang the woman who could just about speak english to ask whats goin on she said its all legit so we had details for log book over the phone and we sold the car for the full asking price then the bloke put it on the truck and didnt even check the car over... very strange indeed if you ask me but we wasnt moaning easiest car we have ever sold
I had hat with my cossie the guy exports to Malta
He had my cossie collected for his mate to hill climb
Old 14-01-2015, 07:19 PM
Berty84
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by russ rs
I had hat with my cossie the guy exports to Malta
He had my cossie collected for his mate to hill climb
you dont mind when there paying cash do you haha... i dont know how they are making money when they gotta take into account travel/shipping costs etc thats without anything being wrong with the car they didnt check over when they purchased it from you
Old 15-01-2015, 08:10 PM
russ rs
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you dont mind when there paying cash do you haha... i dont know how they are making money when they gotta take into account travel/shipping costs etc thats without anything being wrong with the car they didnt check over when they purchased it from you
New car tax is huge apparently
Old 16-01-2015, 01:16 AM
visa_broke
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

had this before a few years ago, car transporter turned up, took the car away over to poland then we had the buyer claiming the car wasn't as described and wanting money back for describing the car wrong.
Old 16-01-2015, 06:45 PM
MikeyRobbo
PS3 - MikeyRobbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put a fucked failed mot smoking Mondeo on ebay a few years back for £200 Buy It Now. Sold within 5 minutes and I was messaged to say a truck is coming over from Poland in a few days and will collect it. No shit 3 days later a massive curtain sider turns up, complete with big greasy driver who looked like he hadnt slept for a week. Didn't speak a word of English. Opened the doors, out come 2 tree trunks and 2 ladders Actually amazed it drove up them. Paid cash and fucked off.