General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Focus 2.0 tdci gone into Limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:58 PM
Amo22
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Focus 2.0 tdci gone into Limp mode

Hi All

I recently had the cambelt and water pump changed on my Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI (2007) along with a service from a local mechanic.

After a couple of days after driving the car it started making a whining noise under load, it sounded like a vacuum noise. I contacted the mechanic who came out and had a look under the bonnet and could find anything.

A couple of days later the noise started becoming louder and could be heard whilst listening to radio in the car and then all of a sudden the car lost all its power and went into limp mode. A little while later the engine management light came on I called up the mechanic who plugged in the diagnostic computer and it showed the error 'P0299 T/S Charger under boost'

He had a look under the bonnet and couldn't find anything obvious and said could be intercooler or turbo.
A couple of things I noted whilst the mechanic was changing the belt on the car

When changing the cambelt one of the engine mounts was off and the engine was being supported by an axle stand.
The oil he used was low saps oil which he recommends for DPF.
I have very basic car knowledge and would be very grateful for your expertise on this matter?

Old 03-12-2014, 02:40 PM
3i Jim
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Check all the boost hoses. If he had to drop the engine on one side it could of pulled a hose off. These are the hoses that come off the turbo and go to intercooler then go from intercooler to the inlet manifold.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:10 PM
Amo22
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jim thanks for your swift reply he had a look at all the hoses and they all appear to be fine. i was told it could be the air flow sensor.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:00 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

If your mechanic can't pinpoint a rather large air leak, then you need a new mechanic. Should be just a split vacuum or boost hose!