General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

changing glow plugs on a fiesta

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 08:50 PM
Berty84
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing glow plugs on a fiesta

Was just wondering how difficult it is change the glow plugs on 1.4 ford fiesta tdci iv read some threads of people of having a right mare with plugs seizing in the head and snapping When trying to get them out... i really wish i didnt read it cus i was gonna tackle this job 2moro Element of dought has crept in now
Old 05-09-2014, 09:20 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

get the engine really really warm before doing so then basically if they feel like they are going to snap then stop before they do! they dont sieze on the threads usually, they tend to sieze on the tapered seat where they seal due to carbon build up. if you do snap one either live with it snapped or remove the head and get it machined out its not worth the risk trying to drill them in situ as you will no doubt get swarf in the engine and total it. i did a transit connect where i had to drill some snapped injectors out and was convinced i was carefull enough to prevents bits going into the engine but could not bring myself to start it up so took the head off and i was right there was shit loads of swarf there! lol
Old 06-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Berty84
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi sorry about late reply and thanks for getting back to me... how hard would i have to turn the socket for it to snap are they supposed to come out quite easily? My car is the 2008 model so im thinking the original plugs have only been in 6 years so im really hoping they come out with ease... iv not managed to tackle it today cus if work etc but any ideas where they would be located on the engine...