General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

EGT gauges

Search this Thread

Old 29-03-2005, 10:08 AM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGT gauges

Right going to order some SPA gauges today getting oil temp/ oil press, fuel press/water temp and then i am torn between Boost/temp(will use it for ACT) OR boost/ EGT

Does anyone know if an EGT is really gonna tell me anything in time with regards to the engine running lean as i cant see it reacting quick enough also as it will give an average of the 4 cylinder temps I may be running lean on one and richer on the other and the gauge wont show up shit.

So do i just go for the boost/ Temp instead?
Old 29-03-2005, 10:19 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

the reaction time depends on the sensor and position. if you know very well what your EGT's should be at certain engine speeds and boost, I reckon that it would be worth having.

As for having one lean and one rich that balance each other out, that is rather unlikely. more likely that one is lean but you don't notice it because the other 3 will keep the average up. that's why i got an egt sensor in each manifold runner.

tbh, i don't see what ACT tells you either unless you are interested in back to back results of different intercoolers, checking your intercooler efficiency or mapping the ACT compensation. don't see that it helps with engine safety much providing the ACT comensation is mapped correctly.
Old 29-03-2005, 10:28 AM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yes i understand the ACT is not going to substitute for EGT in seperat runners and AFR readings DET cans etc it was more to do with "if" the EGT is not worth having on the gauge i want then i would just go for the temp and use it for ACT.

I may possibly go for the EGT after all if you reckon its worth having after all then Hmmmm

cheers
Old 29-03-2005, 11:13 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

i'm not sure that it's worth having EGT, but i'm sure that it's more worth having than ACT if you get what i mean
Old 29-03-2005, 11:39 AM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yer i see what your saying thanks. Will go for that then
Old 29-03-2005, 03:06 PM
M.A.D.RST
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy, where are you getting them from? And how much, if you dont mind me asking?
Old 29-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are getting them direct from SPA speak to a guy called Tony as he is very helpful and he may sort you out discount for having the 3 together.
Old 29-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Sketch
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Could always try GRS Motorsport for the SPA gauges..... price list can be downloaded from the web site

http://www.grsmotorsport.co.uk
Old 29-03-2005, 05:28 PM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by M.A.D.RST
Andy, where are you getting them from? And how much, if you dont mind me asking?
Hi i think i am getting them from here http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/design/dualgauges.asp

prices are on there

the EGT/Boost is £133.13 more than the Boost/Temp which is why i wanna make sure the price difference justifys the use of the EGT over something else.

I want a maximum info minimum clutter gauge/dash set up so figured these would be best (also look retro in such an old car) as they are effectively 6 gauges in the space of 3

Originally Posted by Gav Diamond
If you are getting them direct from SPA speak to a guy called Tony as he is very helpful and he may sort you out discount for having the 3 together.
I did speak to Tony, v helpful chap will be cheeky ask him for a discount if i get all 3 and see how far i get lol

Originally Posted by Sketch
Could always try GRS Motorsport for the SPA gauges..... price list can be downloaded from the web site

http://www.grsmotorsport.co.uk
prices seem to be more from GRS so may as well just get them from SPA direct cheers for the link though