General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Dyno figure

Search this Thread

Old 14-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Matt Baxter
Back in black!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by James @ M Developments.
I didn't like the look of that last run either

They( E P ) were struggling to do a run without getting wheelspin its the only other run i recorded!
Old 14-07-2014, 07:29 PM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah, and I expect I was still spinning, doesn't sound right at all.

Crazy really I never have any wheel spinning issues even at 600bhp+, as soon as the car breaks traction the figure is rubbish. It's all in the strapping

Last edited by James @ M Developments.; 14-07-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 14-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Moonstone Steve.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Crazy really I never have any wheel spinning issues even at 600bhp+, as soon as the car breaks traction the figure is rubbish. It's all in the strapping
That is because you fill the boot with your weekly shop of pies pmsl

Steve
Old 14-07-2014, 07:34 PM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Lol, I wish I'm on a diet
Old 14-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Matt Baxter
Back in black!

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
The fan doesn't look close enough and it seemed fairly flat to me.

Mark
fan was around 3 ft away at a guess strange as it drives fine on the road, will get it run somewhere else

Originally Posted by Moonstone Steve.
It certainly dont climb out the rollers like most cossies I have seen at RR days and is it me or is it surging at about 38 seconds in

Steve
very strange aint it!

Yeah it made 405bhp and 470+torque lol whereas it had been run a few times before at various places and did 394. then 397.8 with 400lbft
Old 14-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Matt,

Don't take his the wrong way bud BUT don't start getting caught up in numbers, you've said it goes well on the road, that is where i would leave it pal, your choice of course.

Dyno numbers have this strange way imo of deflating people, i.e their car was great before they ran it, then they get a figure lower than they thought and it's not the same car, you get my drift??
Old 14-07-2014, 07:48 PM
Moonstone Steve.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Lol, I wish I'm on a diet
Me too, poxy salads, on a plus side I've lost half a stone in a week

Steve
Old 14-07-2014, 07:51 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

on a plus side I've lost half a stone in a week

Steve

You needed to love
Old 14-07-2014, 07:52 PM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Me too, poxy salads, on a plus side I've lost half a stone in a week

Steve
Goňd man,

I'm trying like hell to get into the 11s before my holiday in sept
Old 14-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Matt Baxter
Back in black!

Originally Posted by Staffi
Matt,

Don't take this the wrong way bud BUT don't start getting caught up in numbers, you've said it goes well on the road, that is where i would leave it pal, your choice of course.

Dyno numbers have this strange way imo of deflating people, i.e their car was great before they ran it, then they get a figure lower than they thought and it's not the same car, you get my drift??
Totally agree mate
I just wanted it to do the right numbers, and going by the spec (that I was told) of the engine, Then fitting the "right" turbo THEN! rebuilding the turbo lol
I really thought i'd see 450bhp

The car still put a smile on my face on the way home from the dyno
Old 14-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Moonstone Steve.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You needed to love
You not wrong mate, feel better already, gym monday to friday and clean eating, very little beer and its falling off

Steve
Old 14-07-2014, 08:09 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Matt,

Don't take his the wrong way bud BUT don't start getting caught up in numbers, you've said it goes well on the road, that is where i would leave it pal, your choice of course.
The two go together im afraid. It goes well on the road compared to what exactly. My Rover goes well on the road compared to a push bike. You need a stake in the ground to say that level of performance goes with that Power.
If Matts car is not 100% on the nose of whats possible with the Spec or slight changes then hes missing out on the cars potential & not getting what he has paid for. Most people have no idea what a Cossie should go like because they have not been in others to compare.
Old 14-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Yeah but you never use yours Rod, yours is just for top speed, when do you use it at Combe, National Day etc etc?? Money pit for nothing yours is basically.

Stop blowing your own trumpet just for once Rodder's,Mark does most of the driving of yours anyway

Last edited by Staffi; 14-07-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 14-07-2014, 10:26 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Rod-Tarry
The two go together im afraid. It goes well on the road compared to what exactly. My Rover goes well on the road compared to a push bike. You need a stake in the ground to say that level of performance goes with that Power.
If Matts car is not 100% on the nose of whats possible with the Spec or slight changes then hes missing out on the cars potential & not getting what he has paid for. Most people have no idea what a Cossie should go like because they have not been in others to compare.
Yeah but you never use yours Rod, yours is just for top speed, when do you use it at Combe, National Day etc etc?? Money pit for nothing yours is basically.

Stop blowing your own trumpet just for once Rodder's,Mark does most of the driving of yours anyway

rod is making a valid point, butt dynos don't mean shit I remember my old t3 flint saph was real punchy with the little turbo and felt very fast but it wasn't actually that fast.

to say "ignore the dyno plot it feels fast" is silly as it has 400 hp and that is that whatever way you look at it, this is one of reasons I spent Ł500 on my vbox as times never lie.
Old 14-07-2014, 10:54 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

everyone has a point as everyone wants something different from there cars

Like me I just want to maximize my spec
Dont give 2 fucks about times dont care about doing 200 mph in a 1200kg shitty ford
And really couldnt give to fucks what people think I chose my turbo ect and just want the best from it

I think this is what Matt is after hes not after doing a 9 sec quarter he is after the best the car will do ,So if mark has the correct ignition /fuel ratio for the boost setting that is the best it will do what ever any clock or dyno say's
Old 15-07-2014, 04:09 AM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Jay,

Dont give 2 fucks about times dont care about doing 200 mph in a 1200kg shitty ford
And really couldnt give to fucks what people think I chose my turbo ect and just want the best from it
Totally agree with this Jay
Old 15-07-2014, 06:45 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

everyone has a point as everyone wants something different from there cars

I think this is what Matt is after hes not after doing a 9 sec quarter he is after the best the car will do ,So if mark has the correct ignition /fuel ratio for the boost setting that is the best it will do what ever any clock or dyno say's

I understand what your saying jay, the thing is though the engine/turbo isn't doing the best it can do, remember my r33 just a turbine housing upgrade and it transformed the car an extra 100hp, but on the road it felt ALOT faster the characteristics of the motor changed dramatically.
Old 15-07-2014, 06:48 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
I understand what your saying jay, the thing is though the engine/turbo isn't doing the best it can do, remember my r33 just a turbine housing upgrade and it transformed the car an extra 100hp, but on the road it felt ALOT faster the characteristics of the motor changed dramatically.
Your missing the point Karl thats what Matt's cars got and thats how it staying Hes not chasing numbers for chasing sake he is happy how quick the car is on the road
Old 15-07-2014, 07:32 AM
Matt Baxter
Back in black!

Your missing the point Karl thats what Matt's cars got and thats how it staying Hes not chasing numbers for chasing sake he is happy how quick the car is on the road
Most if that's right lol I'm not chasing numbers that's for sure but I was really expecting to track 450bhp and I'm a little gutted it didn't but I'm going to run it somewhere else with everything measured correctly! And go from there!!!
Old 15-07-2014, 07:49 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Baxter
Most if that's right lol I'm not chasing numbers that's for sure but I was really expecting to track 450bhp and I'm a little gutted it didn't but I'm going to run it somewhere else with everything measured correctly! And go from there!!!
So you're NOT chasing 450bhp then
Old 15-07-2014, 07:54 AM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Baxter
I would have expected at least 450hp so get it on a another rr and check the runs have no problems or errors and then go from there.

Mark
Old 15-07-2014, 07:57 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should have made more HP. Torque figure is high for 2 bar boost. All imo

Ive been here. Power expected v power achieved. Incorrect strapping on rollers, flow restrictions. The list is endless.

Take it somewhere else once making sure engine setup is bang on

And - more boost

Last edited by CossieRich; 15-07-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 15-07-2014, 08:01 AM
Matt Baxter
Back in black!

Originally Posted by Turbosystems
So you're NOT chasing 450bhp then
Nope!
For my spec 450 should have been easy
Old 15-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Matt Baxter
Back in black!

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
I would have expected at least 450hp so get it on a another rr and check the runs have no problems or errors and then go from there.

Mark
That's the plan!

Originally Posted by CossieRich
Should have made more HP. Torque figure is high for 2 bar boost. All imo

Ive been here. Power expected v power achieved. Incorrect strapping on rollers, flow restrictions. The list is endless.

Take it somewhere else once making sure engine setup is bang on

And - more boost
Just need to find the time to get it on another set of rollers and then. Can go from there!
Old 15-07-2014, 09:44 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

it does make me laugh all this "im not chasing numbers" why bother tuneing it then ? it is tuned to make more power, more power means higher numbers lol

i good test imo would be to get on a dyno that is a regular cossie tuner ie msd so you know its setup on the dyno correctly, and do some pulls at varying boost levels, it was clear to me from just this information with my r33 that there was a restriction as with increasing boost the power just flatlined, if that exhaust housing is a restriction you will hit a wall as the boost increases and temps will start climbing rapidly aswell if you can monitor them ?
Old 15-07-2014, 11:55 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
rod is making a valid point, butt dynos don't mean shit I remember my old t3 flint saph was real punchy with the little turbo and felt very fast but it wasn't actually that fast.

to say "ignore the dyno plot it feels fast" is silly as it has 400 hp and that is that whatever way you look at it, this is one of reasons I spent Ł500 on my vbox as times never lie.
Likewise you could say dyno numbers dont mean shit. This thread and the thousands of others would as easily back it up, just as much as the butt dyno means shit.

If he had went to a Dynojet and got a 500hp reading ( maybe higher ), he'd be over the moon. And it would very easily happen.

Queries and tears only arise when a low reading is given.

Therein lies the problem...which is a true reflection of the cars performance ?

And you're quite right about the likes of VBox, in gear times etc etc At least that is something that can be used to give proper repeatable performance assessments, as that can only give a true reflections of the cars actual abilities on the road.

Unless the Yanks are mucking about with the GPS satellites to give false results..

Last edited by stevieturbo; 15-07-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 15-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

^^^^^^^ Agree totally with the above Stevie
Old 15-07-2014, 04:02 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

We need a like button in here .
Old 15-07-2014, 04:38 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

I know it's off topic but I must wade in here as rod dose drive his lol you guys only see mark driving it at top speed runs when it needs to be driven to it's total limit with a small braking zone.
A good few years ago now it used to be a weekend highlight going round my mate Neil's house and getting his dad rod to take the cossie out for a good beating and fook me that thing gets driven hard on the road! Which is in no way at all easy with over 600bhp!
And I'm sure jay can vouch for that as well
Old 15-07-2014, 05:12 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Andy, yes i know Rod drives his car, i have met him a few times, my rant if you want to call it that is where Rod said, " most people don't have a clue what a Cossie goes like"

And also, i for one and I'm sure many others would LOVE to see Rod's car going round a track for a session, yes he says this doesn't interest him, his choice, but seeing a 800+ bhp Sapph smashing round a track is a sight I'd love to see AND on full boost

Martin in this Escos, AG, Focus, Jimbo's dad etc etc all hammered theirs on track, just my opinion, NOT a dig at Rodders

Last edited by Staffi; 15-07-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 15-07-2014, 05:14 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Andy, yes i know Rod drives his car, i have met him a few times, my rant if you want to call it that is where Rod said, " most people don't have a clue what a Cossie goes like"

And also, i for one and I'm sure many others would LOVE to see Rod's car going round a track for a session, yes he says this doesn't interest him, his choice, but seeing a 800+ bhp Sapph smashing round a track is a sight I'd love to see AND on full boost

Martin, AG Jimbo's dad etc etc all hammered theirs on track, just my opinion, NOT a dig at Rodders
I'm with you totally there mate but I'd like to see mark at the wheel on track lol to shut rather a few people up like the good old days when he had his rs500 and did the tracks at shows

Last edited by ajamesc; 15-07-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 15-07-2014, 07:31 PM
coswurv
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Martin in this Escos, AG, Focus, Jimbo's dad etc etc all hammered theirs on track, just my opinion, NOT a dig at Rodders
Originally Posted by ajamesc
I'm with you totally there mate but I'd like to see mark at the wheel on track lol to shut rather a few people up like the good old days when he had his rs500 and did the tracks at shows

Agree here also, I'd love to see that car be driven round a track instead of a straight line.