General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

talking about fuel...

Search this Thread

Old 27-06-2014, 05:41 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default talking about fuel...

Can anyone explain to me how fuel economy works?

Using my own car as an example it will do 30mpg on the motorway at 60 mph, it's got a 60 litre tank which means it'll do 400 miles before it runs out
So in 6 hours and 40 minutes it'll be out of fuel

On my daily commute it does 20 mpg and it takes 30 minutes each way to do the 10 miles, but going by that logic it's going to last me twice as long doing less mpg but running for a longer time

So, how does that work?
Old 27-06-2014, 05:58 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

You're trying to compare Apples to Oranges with holes in.

LESS MILES TRAVELLED

If you left the car sat on the drive ticking over it would keep running for days.
Old 27-06-2014, 06:32 PM
dojj

But why does it run longer but use more fuel?

Surely it should be the other way around?
Old 27-06-2014, 06:40 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Fuel consumption is affected by revs and load, round town low load, on long journeys high load
Old 27-06-2014, 09:05 PM
dojj

but why then does it become MORE economical under high load and less economical under low loads?
Old 27-06-2014, 09:51 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Half an hour to do 10 miles! Fook me glad I don't live in London.
Old 28-06-2014, 05:57 AM
dojj

green lights all the way 17 minutes rush hour, it does take an hour

Trending Topics

Old 28-06-2014, 07:20 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

It's all about efficiency mate. It takes a lot of energy to accelerate something, but very little to maintain its velocity.

Try to think of it this way.... Imagine how hard it is to push a car yourself from a standstill, to actually get it up to say, 20mph. Getting it moving is hard.
Now think how hard it is to just keep it rolling at that speed. Pretty easy.

Engines are the same, but their energy is provided by fuel. To maintain 60mph in your average sized car requires only about 5bhp worth of fuel.
To accelerate it from 20 to 30 requires a lot more, and in the city commute your accelerating constantly in stop start traffic.

If I asked you to walk along and maintain a cars speed at 20mph on a flat road for an hour you could probably manage it.
If I asked you to stop and start the same car up to 20mph then back to zero and repeat it constantly, I bet you could manage about 3 attempts before you collapsed. Lol

Last edited by Stu @ M Developments; 28-06-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 28-06-2014, 07:22 AM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
but why then does it become MORE economical under high load and less economical under low loads?
When idling the engine is using 100% of it's power just to overcome its own resistances. At very low speeds most of the power is being used for internal losses and the a little to actually move you forward. As you increase speed the engine becomes more economical as the balance between useful work and internal loss improves. Then, after a certain speed - which depends on vehicle - the economy will drop off due to friction in the drive train and aero.

Also, in town driving, you are constantly accelerating the car from a standstill. This requires much more power and energy than simply maintaining a reasonable speed.

Rick
Old 02-07-2014, 08:19 AM
dojj

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
It's all about efficiency mate. It takes a lot of energy to accelerate something, but very little to maintain its velocity.

Try to think of it this way.... Imagine how hard it is to push a car yourself from a standstill, to actually get it up to say, 20mph. Getting it moving is hard.

Engines are the same, but their energy is provided by fuel. To maintain 60mph in your average sized car requires only about 5bhp worth of fuel.
To accelerate it from 20 to 30 requires a lot more, and in the city commute your accelerating constantly in stop start traffic.

If I asked you to walk along and maintain a cars speed at 20mph on a flat road for an hour you could probably manage it.
If I asked you to stop and start the same car up to 20mph then back to zero and repeat it constantly, I bet you could manage about 3 attempts before you collapsed. Lol
Originally Posted by Rick
When idling the engine is using 100% of it's power just to overcome its own resistances. At very low speeds most of the power is being used for internal losses and the a little to actually move you forward. As you increase speed the engine becomes more economical as the balance between useful work and internal loss improves. Then, after a certain speed - which depends on vehicle - the economy will drop off due to friction in the drive train and aero.

Also, in town driving, you are constantly accelerating the car from a standstill. This requires much more power and energy than simply maintaining a reasonable speed.

Rick
ok, thanks for those answers folks, it does make sense if you are looking at it as purely a way for the mpg BUT that would then means that using 5bhp to maintain 60 mph would mean you could run the engine for a longer time than just stop starting which means a lot more fuel being used, which is not the case in this situation

i'm using more fuel but the engine is being run for a longer time, how is that scenario possible?

unless you have to assume that lots of time spent idling means it's not using any fuel at all? but it's constantly running and 20 mpg, regardless of how you look at it is worse than 30 mpg so which part of this conundrum am i missing?

or can i not see the forest for the trees

or am i not explaining it properly
Old 02-07-2014, 09:01 AM
oldford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

What you're missing is the distance travelled.
Forger about how long it takes, just focus on the miles you travelled.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:06 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by oldford
What you're missing is the distance travelled.
Forger about how long it takes, just focus on the miles you travelled.
Indeed... you seem to be concentrating on "Time" per gallon, whilst talking about "Miles" per gallon. Obviously two very different metrics.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:09 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by dojj
unless you have to assume that lots of time spent idling means it's not using any fuel at all?
While idling, your engine is doing exactly ZERO miles per the gallon. So if you do 30 miles to work at 30 MPG you will use one gallon fuel.

However, you could then leave the car running outside work all day and use another 1 gallon of fuel going nowhere and drop that days MPG down to 15 miles per gallon as you have now used 2 gallons of fuel, but only traveled 30 miles. Does that help?
Old 02-07-2014, 10:02 AM
dojj

they penny has dropped after that post stu, thanks for the info

i had been wondering about it for years ever since we went to the motorshow at the excel centre and the guy's who were doing the range rover off road course said that they'd only used half a tank of fuel in 3 days, now i know why
Old 02-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

WORK DONE consumes fuel.

Two types of work your engine needs to do:
Acceleration
Maintain momentum by overcoming friction and wind resistance etc

In stop-start driving you are doing lots of accelerating which uses a lot of fuel, at a steady held speed you arent.

also, idling in traffic gets you 0mpg for as many minutes as you are doing it of course.

(edit - should have read replies first, a lot of that is repeated!)
Old 02-07-2014, 10:36 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments

I would love to see someone pushing a car at 20mph, I doubt even Usain Bolt could manage that and definitely not for an hour on a flat road.

Just being picky mate but I know what you mean lol.