General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Modern Turbo Diesel Power - Some might be interested.

Search this Thread

Old 27-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Molinites
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent thread Stu and others. I've had an EsCos, 2 seater sports cars, straight 6 petrols, varying petrol turbo 4's, a Scoob (sorry), a V-tec (sorry again), a V8, VAG 4 pot TDI's and a mapped 330d 6 speed manual - the 330d felt real world the quickest car from a - b whilst averaging an allround 42 mpg including daily city driving. It was the best allrounder and was whisper quiet (much better than VAG) - but noise was also it's biggest downside - when pushing on it just didn't sound 'nice'.
I'd recommend anyone who hasn't to try one. I think it's best to have a 6cyl TD as your daily, and a nice sounding petrol for fun / thrashing drives, I'm currently after a 2wd Saph ! (but believe against the clock on real roads you'd have been quicker and more relaxed in the diesel)!
It's a shame that my short commutes mean I can't have modern DPF equipped Diesels, I've had to buy the youngest non DPF'd models.
Old 28-06-2014, 09:44 PM
alistairolsen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SiZT
if you're talking about curves, area under the graph then a well put together roots charged petrol engine is hard to beat. It's just the heat kicked out that can make them a pain.

This is a 1.6 engine with a ported big valve head, stock compression (which is very low due to supercharger) and a wild'ish cam (270/278 @ 10mm). Boost would be around 14psi I expect, makes 240 at the wheels

Find me one that can be regarded as economical though.... Sadly a belt driven forced induction engine is about the very worst of all for that which makes them a fairly poor real world proposition
Old 03-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Been refining the map and decided to try a few runs in manual gearbox mode and sport to see what she can do. Pretty impressed for a diesel that will return 50+ MPG.

Acceleration times from standstill. (best recorded)
0 - 60mph = 4.82seconds
0 - 100mph = 11.37mph

In gear acceleration: (best recorded)
30 - 50mph = 1.75 seconds
50 -70mph = 2.29 seconds
70 - 100mph = 4.88 seconds

All times recorded with the Racelogic VBox Sport datalogger. Graphs look like this which show how well these change gear too.

Last edited by Stu @ M Developments; 03-07-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:28 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

what "stage" tune is that then stu?

what sort of figures are we talking about for the next level up that can still function within the parameters of what bmw old the car with?
Old 04-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by dojj
what "stage" tune is that then stu?

what sort of figures are we talking about for the next level up that can still function within the parameters of what bmw old the car with?
Still stage 2. Totally factory car still retaining the DPF & Cats etc.
There is a lot more torque available midrange, but the question is - at what point will the gearbox break? This should be reliable 24/7 at 580ftlb as its only a little over ZF's quoted maximum torque figures for the box so i will leave that there I think.

The power at top end is limited purely by exhaust gas temp and the restrictions caused by the DPF and Catlysts.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:18 AM
dojj

so to go any further would sort of ruin the whole purpose of what you want to achieve?

practical performance with the added benefit of being reliable and fuel efficient
Old 04-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Cos500
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Higher end Diesel engines are good units and yes have come a long way, run of the mill stuff, ford Peugeot etc the engines are poor, cheap, nasty and wouldn't be given one especially the 1.6 hdi that gets put in everything these days.

People think yes it's great on fuel it's saving me £££, no, you payed more for the car, the fuel is more expensive and you will never recoup that money as long as you own it especially when modern petrols do really good mpg anyway.
Then add in the costs due to driving a cheap pile, leaking injectors, cheap turbos, duel mass flywheels failing and over complicated electrics adding to the mess.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

The cost of fuel and extra cost of a car takes (so I read) 3 years to break even doing 7k a year.

But if you for want dmf issues get an auto.

Last edited by Carlos-Titx; 04-07-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:44 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

so to go any further would sort of ruin the whole purpose of what you want to achieve? practical performance with the added benefit of being reliable and fuel efficient
Not really, it depends what you want. I can't go any further as I can't tolerate cars that smoke in any way shape or form so the DPF has to stay.
If your willing to remove DPF etc then around 400bhp is available in this unit in standard form. I might add an intercooler yet but the gains are minimal for road use on a TD.

Last edited by Stu @ M Developments; 04-07-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by Cos500
People think yes it's great on fuel it's saving me £££, no, you payed more for the car, the fuel is more expensive and you will never recoup that money as long as you own it especially when modern petrols do really good mpg anyway. Then add in the costs due to driving a cheap pile, leaking injectors, cheap turbos, duel mass flywheels failing and over complicated electrics adding to the mess.
I disagree, people with performance petrol cars will be running Vpower or similar and that's more expensive than Diesel.

Buying a used car it makes no difference if it's petrol or diesel really. Price isn't really a factor.

And what modern 360bhp cars are you talking about that give good mpg anyway?

My example is extreme, but my daily was my 400bhp BMW M5 and it was supping somewhere around £150 a week.
That's more than halved now... That's a £300+ per month saving, or £3600 per annum, probably quite a lot more.

It's horses for courses and depends what you do with your car. I've had this 2 months and done nearly 8000miles in it. I use my car a lot so assuming it doesn't break, I can save enough to buy a spare M5 to keep the other one company over two years just from the fuel saving alone.

Plus this diesel is faster and a much nicer place to be. Lol

Last edited by Stu @ M Developments; 04-07-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:30 AM
dojj

that's where i'm at now thinking of if i should by a diseasal as a daily to go to work in to "only" save £20 a week, which is why i'm also considering a small petrol engine with less to go wrong, but without anything to actually go on to say it would be better of fuel i'm still awaiting to be swayed

plus, you'd save £3900 a year not £3600, and if that were me, i'd be jumping at that chance to essentially "earn" free money by not giving it to the government
Old 06-07-2014, 08:45 AM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Here it is from my perspective, I have a new f31 3 touring 330d which has the eight speed gearbox as standard. The car is amazing in every way for a everyday car. The power and tourque are immense along with economy in standard form. I mean 265bhp (people have rr them showing 280bhp common) and over 400lbt with great economy on a car that will go forever what more can you ask? Without a doubt THE best all round package I have every had. however....

The other day I went out in my friends old modified turbo car that he's kept for years. I miss the old smells that you do not get modern car, the raw feel and the boost feeling. It was an absolute joy! Unfortunately with slight change in job a will be getting a co. Car so my 330d would have to go meaning I could have a toy.... Now after yesterday I feeling the urge for old turbo car again as a pure toy. Lol
Old 06-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

plus, you'd save £3900 a year not £3600, and if that were me, i'd be jumping at that chance to essentially "earn" free money by not giving it to the government
Actually, I forgot the tax saving as well. Minimal, but still more in my pocket.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Actually, I forgot the tax saving as well. Minimal, but still more in my pocket.
Fiesta 1.4 derv is like £40 a year or something daft now.

Won't be long till there's a new expensive tax system for newer greener cars no doubt.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:47 PM
dojj

£30 a year mate, saving even more money as long as it doesn't go wrong
Old 06-07-2014, 04:54 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

£30 a year mate, saving even more money as long as it doesn't go wrong
But the small engines patrols (fords 1.0 Eco boost) don't get anywhere near the claimed mpg.
Seen a while ago on fordtalk (I think) that they were only getting 30 odd mpg
Old 07-07-2014, 11:19 PM
dojj

don't want anything THAT new mate

one more thing that's puzzling me now that we are discussing diseasals, and that's adblue

now, from what i've been told, it's basically cow piss that they inject into the exhaust to reduce stuff, but what that stuff is i have no idea

the puzzlement comes when it's the quantities that are used, they may be extreme examples but they are the only 2 that i've got

our buses use approx 1 litre of adblue for every 20 litres of diseasal and does roughly 11 mpg

on the flip side, my mates merc has used 1 litres and done 8,000 miles, at roughly 35 mpg, so, using the power of a sliding rule and a pencil, that would make it roughly 1 litre for every 1,000 litres of diseasal he's used

so how does that work then? does it matter if he's got stop start fitted? do any diseasal fitters here know what euro 3, 5, 7, etc mean? is all this anti pollution stuff actually going towards getting better mpg or is it just the fact that the particles are now so small you need an even finer machine to measure them? and if the particles are getting smaller due to better burning of the fuel, then it stands to reason that these particles are going to get further into your lungs and that's why we are seeing a rise in asthma and hay fever types over the past few years

ok, so it's a loooooong way away from getting more power from a diseasal engine, and i'm in no ways a lilly livered envo-mentalist, but surely if you watch programs like that thing on discovery where he's spewing literally black foul smoke the likes of which even china doesn't produce out of his truck in the opening credits, then some folks just don't give a fuck do they? so if you are promoting your engines being the top notch power plants, and yet they are smokier than satans arse after 50 hotter than hot curries, how does that work then?

it's late, i've had way to much stimulants in the form of energy drinks and my mind is running away as if i were sam witwicky having been possessed by a shard of the all spark (guess who saw t4 today )
Old 07-07-2014, 11:44 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Cow piss lol ad blue is a man made substance. And it is injected into the exhaust system to neutralise Nox particals that are harmful to humans when breathed in. Nox is produced when efficiently burning diesel. There is no real set amount to be used going by diesel mpg as there are too many factors. On a Daf it will not inject till a certian engine temp / temp before and after the cat / fuel being used percentage and throttle percentage has been met.
So on a cold winters day you may use none but in the hight of summer you may go through a tank a week. A truck running light will use hardly any but a heavy truck working hard will use a lot!

Last edited by ajamesc; 07-07-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:49 PM
dojj

so what you are saying is that to make diseasal work better, it's producing more toxins that are bad for human health, and then, to fix that they have to invent something else to fix that?
Old 07-07-2014, 11:52 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Euro 3/4/5/6 is set emmision levels we are now on euro 6.
The biggest thing is how much Nox they make. With euro 4.5 / 5 the start on egr and ad blue on trucks they had to meet the levels on the road so would not really start till every thing had warmed up. The biggest change with euro 6 other than the Nox limit is now down to almost nothing is they have to meet that level from the moment the key is turned. To do this on a Daf it has ad blue and egr now. The egr is there purely to heat the engine so it can get to temp and heat the exhaust up so the ad blue system can work
Old 07-07-2014, 11:56 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

so what you are saying is that to make diseasal work better, it's producing more toxins that are bad for human health, and then, to fix that they have to invent something else to fix that?
Nox is just a product of burning diesel efficiently so in a way yes!
They have hinted for euro 7 as the Nox levels have now been taken down to almost nothing on a truck there start looking at co output and the amount of oil they use lol
Old 08-07-2014, 06:56 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Mate chucked me the keys to his 335D on sat night, its had a remap to 300bhp and who knows what torque. but fuck me, it went well!

pulled out of a junction and he said nail it, so i did - effortless gearchange and pulled smoothly approaching a bend he says, err you might want to slow down a bit, your doing over a ton...
then he put it in sport mode pmsl!

i want one lol
Old 08-07-2014, 07:21 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Adblue is man made but it's chemically the same as pigs piss.

I wonder if any Muslims are protesting over filling the buses/trucks up?
Old 12-07-2014, 08:56 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by ajamesc
Nox is just a product of burning diesel efficiently so in a way yes!
They have hinted for euro 7 as the Nox levels have now been taken down to almost nothing on a truck there start looking at co output and the amount of oil they use lol

we were working on a 1969 ish cat d8h dozer this morning, 22 litre straight 6. they don't have a boost related rack limiter, she coals well on opening throttle lol

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202631504444947

I wonder what band of emissions that would be in
Old 12-07-2014, 12:37 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Lol that would come under switch that off that's now off the road
Old 12-07-2014, 01:00 PM
marky_g
Fleet Manager

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Diesel FTW I have a mk1 focus diesel 115ps and it's an even match to my mates ST170 with a 55ps difference I was expecting so much more from the 170
Old 15-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Cilly-jey
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Cracking read threw. Lots of good information.
Old 16-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
we were working on a 1969 ish cat d8h dozer this morning, 22 litre straight 6. they don't have a boost related rack limiter, she coals well on opening throttle lol

I get cars in that smoke a little like that after bad tuning mate... its sad how many people have access to the ECU's nowadays that have no idea how an engine works and just flatline curves and see how it goes. Thats one aspects of the DPF I dont like...

The smoke doesn't make it out of the tail anymore so the "tuner" thinks its great and then the customer has big problems down the line when it all clogs up and the turbochargers and injectors start giving problems from excess temperature and rail pressures.

A LOT of the so called "unreliability" of modern diesels is down to bad tuning... in many cases the customer has no idea it was remapped as he bought it already done.
Old 16-07-2014, 08:57 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

what would be the gains on a 2005 mondeo 2.2 tdci stu for a basic remap ?

I live near huntingdon would it be doable local or best to come to blackpool ?
Old 16-07-2014, 09:00 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer

Next it'll be cruising doing this !!

Really is no call for that sort of reek coming from an exhaust
Old 16-07-2014, 09:31 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Next it'll be cruising doing this !!

Smoking Hot Girl Prank "DO YOU SMOKE???" - YouTube

Really is no call for that sort of reek coming from an exhaust

I think its stupid anybody making a motor do it just for fun.
1960s cat d8h dozers all do it when the throttle is opened it just pours the diesel in flat out theres no boost diaphragm on the back of the pump to hold it off relative to boost.
Old 16-07-2014, 09:43 AM
dojj

Bunch of cunt's smoking that girl like that

But then again, that American show had a big smoky truck thing in the opening credits to make it look cool