General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anybody know about private plate assignment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Will Pedley Racing
willpedleyracing.co.uk

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anybody know about private plate assignment?

As DVLA have seen fit to close all the local offices - I can't just take this handful of paperwork and place it on their desk... And having listened to the 8 options on their "helpline" - none of them apply

So - a while ago I bought a private plate off someone. I have the V778 Retention Document, they are listed as the Grantee and they have signed all the relevant boxes and the assignment fee of £80 is already paid.

They advised me to send off payment of £25 to DVLA when I was ready to assign it and to fill in the Nominee section.

I bought a car last Friday which i'd like to put the plate on.

As it was a trade sale, i've got the front page of the V5 document which i've filled in with my details ready to send off to get the logbook in my name.

Is there any way I can send ALL this paperwork off at the same time and just get the new logbook / tax disc in my name with the private plate reg on?

Or is that too much to ask? Do I have to do V5 first, wait a month and then do the plate transfer?

Any info appreciated
Old 08-05-2014, 10:20 AM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought a new car from a trader recently and I sent off all the paperwork from them with my current cars log book, mot, tax, and a form to transfer the number plate from my old car to the new one and I put it all in 1 envelope with a cheque and 1 week later it was all done.
I was amazed lol.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:43 PM
AJC
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 73 Posts

In the past i have waited till the V5 has returned in my name, but i did it all when there was DVLS local offices....... they were the days
Old 08-05-2014, 01:00 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

when is the tax due?

if it's still got tax on it currently i'd make a triplicate copy of everything and then send the originals in an envelope to where you need to send them

if the tax is due then i'm not sure how much money you'd want to spend on hold listening to welsh peeps
Old 08-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

make copies and send it special delivery as the cunts throw away a percentage of mail recieved depending on backlog of work.