General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

What would cause this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Cardie
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What would cause this?

Basically its a bit of an odd braking problem, if im driving around a low speed my brake pedal feels normal, if I speed up, somtimes it feels normal and some times i can push the pedal down about half way before I even get some decent stopping power! It doesnt seem to be random it seems to do it more when im going quicker?

Its a Focus Diesel so it has a Vacuum pump which was leaking/split so thats been changed and the problem is still there!

It just happend on the way home from work one night, nothing had been done to the car, its not using any brake fluid, all the pads are still there and the handbrake is fine. What would be causing this loss in feel of the pedal?
Old 05-04-2014, 06:17 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Defo not vac pump, pedal would go hard and no brakes (more effort. Req)

Im thinking a wheel bearing failure perhaps without seeing/hearing it
Old 05-04-2014, 06:22 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 117 Likes on 110 Posts

Yeh, if wheel bearing has play in it, it can push the pads back..was a bugger on rear discs on Golf GTIs!

Have you had the pads out to make sure they're not,seized in the carrier or parting from the backplate?

Check calipers/sliders are free too.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Cossie Sean
big floppy donkey dick

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if a brake is sticking on it will boil the fluid on that corner go for a gentle 20 min drive and feel the wheel with your hand (careful incase its fuckin roasting!)

this will indicate any/if it has sticky caliper/pad etc

or i have seen ABS units do this too
Old 06-04-2014, 04:46 PM
Cardie
Regular Contributor

The brakes arent sticking on, in a nutshell its like I have a normal brake pedal one minute then I have to push it down about 50% before I get any real braking.

Its had 2 new front wheel bearings about 500 miles ago and rears about 2000 miles ago, no noises or play in any of them. (Around the same time ive had new shoes and pads). Its not like it just sinks to the ground theres a tiny bit of resistance then it goes hard (giggedy)

I want to take the rear drums off but the 4 bolts on the back of the hubs are all rounded and I dont fancy taking the rear drums off via the hub nut as it will ruin the bearings!
The handbrake still works spot on.

Ive asked a few mechanics and looked on forums describing my symptoms and im getting pretty much the same answer an 'Internal leak in the master cylinder'

I know the vacuum pump wouldnt cause this but it needed replacing anyway as it was leaking oil out of it.

Last edited by Cardie; 06-04-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:54 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Usually if you have a master cylinder fault it's there all the time in my experience?
Old 06-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Cardie
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by GVK.
Usually if you have a master cylinder fault it's there all the time in my experience?
Thats what I thought, its like 6 out of 10 times it will do it?
Old 06-04-2014, 05:18 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Only thing it could be if it is a master cyl problem, if one of the seals is folding over, then going back again.. bit unlikely though!
Old 06-04-2014, 08:12 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I was gonna say master cylinder too.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:37 PM
ste1806
Part of the Furniture

I would say it is likely to be the abs block.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Cardie
Regular Contributor

The car doesnt have ABS it just has the 4 channel master cylinder.

I took the rear drums off before to have a look, nothing obvious was staring me in the face but there is a lot of brake dust and I have a brake fitting kit lying around with new springs etc so its getting a full rebuild tomorrow.

In the process of removing the drums, looking and putting them back ive completley lost my handbrake and ive manged to get the brake pedal firm again!.... Nah im joking it was fine for about 2 minutes then went back to normal again but its still doing just not as much? There was no leaks, splits or anything obvious at the rear drums, ive also asked a Honda mechanic who said its most probably the master cylinder leaking inside itself.

Il update tomorrow when ive given the rears a proper rebuild, as ive ran out of brake cleaner at the moment.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:06 PM
Cardie
Regular Contributor

Right stripped the rears completley, cleaned everything, sanded the pads,sanded the insde of the drums so they are all nice and rough (obviously smooth but rough).

After taking the drums off about 14 times each because the auto adjusters dont really work ive finally gotten somewhere!

The handbrake is brilliant! Never been so good in its life and its stopped bloody creaking!

After nearly melting a drum because the adjuster was too far out ive retracted it and now got 2 free spinning drums, though when the handbrake is applied then taken off one of them still drags a little bit until you tap the rear drum with a small hammer or go over a bump or whatever.

Anyway the pedal seems to be a lot lot better, very responsive braking no sinking when your driving around. However when your, say turning around in a car park it will drop probably 20% No where near as much as it used to but it definatly sinks!
Old 08-04-2014, 04:29 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

have you tried bleeding the front and back?
Old 08-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Cardie
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by nevsrevs
have you tried bleeding the front and back?
No I havent tried that yet as I dont have the tell tail signs of any air in the system, it seems to be getting better so il run it for a little bit and see how it goes.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:32 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Change the brake fluid or test it first for water content/boiling point