General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

First time Painting a car

Search this Thread

Old 23-03-2014, 06:31 PM
natehall
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default First time Painting a car

Ok, so my track car is getting to within a few weeks of needing paint on its interior, and I want to do a reasonable job of it as I've used this car to learn everything I know about cars, so I want to get cracking and give it a go..

I have a air compressor, a cheapo sealer 25Liter 1.5 horsepower compressor, and some airline, a angle grinder with a wire wheel attachment and more sandpaper than I think I will ever need.. What I don't have is a clue what's paint gun is best, what type of paint I would need to paint the interior white and inside the boot, I've read about air line dryers and hvlp and all sorts of things that confused me.. I know Ideally I need a bigger compressor but i don't have room for anything bigger..

Any tips on what spray gun and paint to get?
Old 23-03-2014, 06:38 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I would go for a suction fed spray gun as you will spraying at all different angles and you don't want it to fade out at a critical point,

Hvlp is as you may know is high volume low pressure so it allows you to produce a good fan of spray while keeping the consistency that same with out needing a massive compressor

I'd go with a solid 2k white but make sure you keep the place vented and get a decent mask
Old 23-03-2014, 07:15 PM
natehall

I knew what hvlp stood for but I don't know how it is different or with paint finish, I was planning for a matte white as it means I will be able to spot any rust earlier..

With regards to 2k, ill be painting in the street where there's children so want something less toxic than 2k ideally, but I don't know what the other options are and if they will do a good job..
Old 23-03-2014, 07:30 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by natehall

With regards to 2k, ill be painting in the street
dont bother mate, you are asking for trouble - you'll get spray everywhere, it will drift.
Old 23-03-2014, 07:34 PM
boy-racer-1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't seriously be thinking of painting In the street? if I was to walk by and see that id be onto the police immediately, use some common sense get it into a garage or back garden
Old 23-03-2014, 07:35 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

dont paint it in the street you could get yourself in some serious bother! all paint is harmfull in one way or another
Old 23-03-2014, 07:39 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Yeh painting it in the street is a big no no, I got a letter once from the council when we use to spray the bangers out on the street,

You can use cellulose paint for matte but if still try and find somewhere to do it out of the way of the public
Old 23-03-2014, 07:40 PM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Asking for trouble here
Old 23-03-2014, 07:45 PM
natehall

I didn't realise it was illegal to paint a car.. It's on my Drive at the front of my house.

It's a mid terraced house with no way of getting the car to the back garden. I'll have to see If I can get it transported to a friends unit, either that or rely on aerosols to protect the metal until she's drive able.

I had wanted to do it before wiring the car
Old 23-03-2014, 07:47 PM
natehall

Originally Posted by CosworthGuy
Asking for trouble here
If it's going to get me in trouble it's not worth it as I'll just either rent a unit or take it to a friends unit to get it done, not one to break the law and I've got good neighbours.
Old 23-03-2014, 07:48 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

To cover yourself if its on your property you can do it and out up a sign as a warning to passer byes
Old 23-03-2014, 08:04 PM
natehall

Sod trying got cover it up, it's not worth the risk despite us being on a quiet avenue. I hadn't realised it was illegal and whilst I'd probably get away with it, for the same of a couple of tows I'll get it to a industrial unit.
Old 23-03-2014, 08:07 PM
stevecfrst1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Im a painter/bodyshop owner, thought id give some advise. Firstly dont paint it on your drive whatever you do, any paint sprayed is harmful especially 2k products, also you will get overspray everywhere probably over half the cars in your street so your neighbours wont be your freind anymore
Hvlp guns are just whats used nowdays by professionals mainly because the produce much less overspray than older type guns, there just better, more environmentaly friendly and more designed for modern paint.
Air dryers/water traps are to remove water/oil contaminents in the air that you really dont want in there and will cause issues if left in.

I have painted the inside of a couple of racecars with complex rollcages before and its a total nightmare tbh even in a spraybooth in full gear ect using proper equipment and paint. I did the inside of an audi s3 with full cage in white and used approx 5 litres of 2k, which is a lot! You would do a whole large van with about 4 litres. I wouldnt reccomend using 2k without a booth as is so poisionous and you will get through a lot, its not like just painting a bumper or something. As someone else said maybe use some celluose, it goes on real easy and isnt anywhere near as poisionous as 2k, still get a proper mask though, personally i wouldnt dream of doing an inside without a proper air fed mask but thats not really gunna be something you'l be able use.
Old 23-03-2014, 08:13 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Well said ^^^€